_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Not So Cold" Diorama
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 08:38 PM UTC
Hi guys! I try to motivate myself by share my latest project, this diorama is my fourth project precisely. Honestly, I have deal with this project for about more than 1,5 years due to my never-ending-daily-job Along the construction of this diorama, I have to "construct" my mood also at any time.

Otherwise, there were some construction details and logic that not yet finished and evaluated, maybe about 20% to complete. But, I still need some constructive comments and critics also additional ideas from all of you guys to make it better

Once again, hope that such diorama was able to enocurage us and enrich our quality and fun time in this hobby

Thank you guys

Best regards from Jakarta, Indonesia

Garry

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 06:45 AM UTC
Okay...

The mud in the road would suggest a very wet environment and the Marders should be sinking into it much more. That also applies to the level of mud applied to the running gear.

Mud on the figures: Unless these guys have been walking through a mud bog, there should not be mud that high up on their legs.

What caued the tracks to break on vehicle 102?

Why is the guy about to load a round on vehicle 23?

What's the temperature? Your title and the dress/position of several figures suggess a pretty cold scene. At the same time, the guy with the pnazerfaust has his sleeves rolled up; no one appears to be wearing gloves, scarves, cold weather hats. The mix of guys in basic tunics and others in greatcoats in visually and thematically confusing.

The positioning of the guys in the greatcoats looking at the officer kneeling in the mud is a nice touch.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hey Garry, I second what Al said even though some people are always warmer or colder than others. It would be better to change the trooper with his sleeves rolled up to one with his arms covered, would fit better. It obviously not the dead of winter, but still cold enough for some to wear long coats. Your mud is pretty convincing but remember that a AFV is allot of weight. Just look at any heavy equipment during the wet season and you will notice that they wallow through the mud and soft dirt. Heavy equipment doesn't really drive over terrain, it grinds it's way through. Other than that your doing pretty well. Just tweak it a bit and you'll have a nice dio when your done. bob d.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay...

The mud in the road would suggest a very wet environment and the Marders should be sinking into it much more. That also applies to the level of mud applied to the running gear.

Mud on the figures: Unless these guys have been walking through a mud bog, there should not be mud that high up on their legs.

What caued the tracks to break on vehicle 102?

Why is the guy about to load a round on vehicle 23?

What's the temperature? Your title and the dress/position of several figures suggess a pretty cold scene. At the same time, the guy with the pnazerfaust has his sleeves rolled up; no one appears to be wearing gloves, scarves, cold weather hats. The mix of guys in basic tunics and others in greatcoats in visually and thematically confusing.

The positioning of the guys in the greatcoats looking at the officer kneeling in the mud is a nice touch.

Hi Al! I'm glad to know you and many thanks for your criticsm! That's why I post this diorama for discussion, in order to get better input and finishing process. Let allow me to reply them:

1. About the AFV, I just think that the Marders are lighter than any other WWII German heavy tanks, such as Tiger and Panther. So, I decided not to make the Marders sink into the mud much more. Another consideration is that the level of mud applied onto their running gears are not caused by their weight, but caused by the very long destination they have to travelled. CMIIW

2. Of course, you're right Al. But similar with the AFV's condition as I stated above, such I assume that such German troops travel for their very long destination, lot of their routine activities (rest somewhere, having their meal, etc.), also the mud bog they passed before (not scened in this diorama) might make the mud a little bit high on their legs. Is the story seems forced? OMG, I have no other words

3. There were no causal presented in this diorama about the vehicles 102's track-broke. Just out of my imagination that the track hit something hard during its' travel route, but not showed up in this diorama.

4. The guy was not intend to load such ammo rounds, just to move several of them and arrange them onto the baskets in the left side of him while he also spoke to his commander at the same time. Also seems forced? I'm sorry Al, honestly, I have no alternatives to positioning the guy at any other position Do you have better idea?

5.a.I don't set the temperature specifically, but it quite enough to make anyone freeze and feel so iced on it
b.From the picture number 4, you may see a guy far right side of the photographs (walk behind the SdkFz 250) that wear winter-white jackets with fur covered winter field cap. Such guy wear gloves but not yet exposed. I may expose and post his photos soon.
c.Ok, I will try to replace some figures with basic tunics with others with winter suits and hope that it the wouldn't make us confuse any longer,, LOL

6. Thank you Al, glad to know that the placement of such figures were already on the right path.

Many thanks Al for your reply and suggesttions. I will make some improvements and replacements ASAP. Hope that such diorama will be better able to show the story I want. Can't wait for your further reply
Oops, I'm sorry for my written English before since I'm not correspond with English regularly

Best regards,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Garry, I second what Al said even though some people are always warmer or colder than others. It would be better to change the trooper with his sleeves rolled up to one with his arms covered, would fit better. It obviously not the dead of winter, but still cold enough for some to wear long coats. Your mud is pretty convincing but remember that a AFV is allot of weight. Just look at any heavy equipment during the wet season and you will notice that they wallow through the mud and soft dirt. Heavy equipment doesn't really drive over terrain, it grinds it's way through. Other than that your doing pretty well. Just tweak it a bit and you'll have a nice dio when your done. bob d.

Hello Bob! How are you? Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yeah, after I evaluated the photographs once more, also after your and Al's suggestions, the positioning of several guys seems forced, right? LOL Sure, the replacement of the guys with rolled-up sleeves with others fully covered arms will be better. I will try it.

About the AFVs, when I decide to build this diorama, I think that the weight of the Marders is less than any common WWII German heavy tanks, so I just make the mud grinded 'softer' than when they grinded by the heavy tanks. Do I already in the right analysis? CMMIW

Thanks Bob! I really really appreciate it and sorry for my English if so difficult to understand and not good implemented

Best regards,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:51 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

...no one appears to be wearing gloves, scarves, cold weather hats....

b.From the picture number 4, you may see a guy far right side of the photographs (walk behind the SdkFz 250) that wear winter-white jackets with fur covered winter field cap. Such guy wear gloves but not yet exposed. I may expose and post his photos soon...

Here is the photograph I mean, Al:

By the way, could anyone help me to edit a picture link on my own post due to 'Edit" button that no longer exist after several hours?

Thank you

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:45 PM UTC

Hi Garry,

missed that one I guess..!!

You are a courageous man my friend!!! You are not afraid of the tricky bits....and I must admit your mud looks just fine!

Vehicles would sink deeper into the liquid underground, and a similar choice of uniforms would be more realistic, but the overall effect is not bad at all!!!

As I said earlier....keep up the great work..and the fun!!!

Cheers

Romain
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

missed that one I guess..!!

You are a courageous man my friend!!! You are not afraid of the tricky bits....and I must admit your mud looks just fine!

Vehicles would sink deeper into the liquid underground, and a similar choice of uniforms would be more realistic, but the overall effect is not bad at all!!!

As I said earlier....keep up the great work..and the fun!!!

Cheers

Romain

LOL No problem Romain, there were lot of posts from fellow modellers around the world, can't wait any longer to see them one by one which very, very interesting and make us so impressed

About the AFV's sinking tracks, as I replied Al LaFleche's comments, I just think that such Marders wouldn't sink deeper in the mud than any other German's WWII main battle tanks, such as Tiger and Panther. So, I decide to make them just a 'little bit' sink as shown by Marder number 23's track print in photograph 3, 5, and 8 on my earlier post. I promise for my future project which may present Tiger on Panther tank, I will make them sink deeper than such Marders on this project

Oh yes, currently I'm replacing some figures with others more suitable with the theme. Similar with you, Bob Davis also suggest me to pick some similar figures with winter gears, so there would not be confusion related to the diorama's title I will post the final touch once I finished them, ASAP.

Thank you Roman for your appreciation, I'm very happy with your replies, not only for my modelling touches, but also for improving my English! Sorry if I'm not implementing it very well.

Have fun modelling time for you, too and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:32 PM UTC
Hi all, due to reorganization of my photo libraries in my Photobucket account, some pictures related with this topic may be missing from the first post in this topic. So, I create this reply to replace such pictures. I'm so sorry for your inconvenience and hope it helps

Cheers

Garry

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi all! About 2 or 3 weeks delay of visiting this site, now I'm back to share about the consideration of replacing several figures in this diorama in order to make the situation looks more natural and suitable with the title. As Al LaFleche suggest me to re-illustrate the diorama with figures that were wearing gloves, sweaters, jackets, etc., I will show the removal and replacements that I perform so far as follows:

NOTE: The red-circled guy in the picture above was removed.

NOTE: The red-circled guys in each picture above were replaced with another figure inserted at the right side for each of them.

Constructive critics & comments are welcome!

Best regards

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 10:12 AM UTC

Hi Garry,

it's good you swap clothes on the figs!! They would have caught a cold otherwise!!

Cheers

Romain
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

it's good you swap clothes on the figs!! They would have caught a cold otherwise!!

Cheers

Romain

Thank you Romain, I'm sorry for being late in action. I also hope they will be finished soon along with my another current project Have a nice modelling time!

Best regards,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hello all! For approximately more than 4 months delay of visiting this site, now I'm back (again! ) to continue the replacement of several figures in this diorama in order to make the situation looks more natural and suitable with the title.

Sorry for unintentionally not displaying the work-in-process figures since when I get my mood boosted, I perform the work on them so fast; make myself always forget to take some time for depicting them. I will show the finished replacements as follows:

Soon, I will post several pictures showing the latest improvements I made on this diorama, mainly on the figures above. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Garry
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
Awesome !
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome !

Many thanks David, I hope it can be functioned as a motivation for me to keep care how to handle figures, better and better from day to day. Glad to know that you happy with those, happy modelling for you

Best regards from Indonesia

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC

Hi Garry,

you are going into the right direction!! Keep going!

One little thing just struck me: the whitened helmets are too "uniform" as this was not a "professional" paintjob. It was a field modification. I would thus scratch them a bit! Just a suggestion!

Cheers

Romain
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

One little thing just struck me: the whitened helmets are too "uniform" as this was not a "professional" paintjob. It was a field modification. I would thus scratch them a bit! Just a suggestion!

Cheers

Romain

Not a "pro" huh? I don't think so, because I believe that between autumn and winter itself, the troops were already have an extra training from the pioneer company about how to white-washing their helmet! Just kidding...

Thank you my friend, I will take care of it ^^ Happy modelling, Romain!

Cheers,

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

Cheers

Romain

Not a "pro" huh? I don't think so, because I believe that between autumn and winter itself, the troops were already have an extra training from the pioneer company about how to white-washing their helmet! Just kidding...

Thank you my friend, I will take care of it ^^ Happy modelling, Romain!

Cheers,

Garry

And to you m8!

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 04:16 PM UTC
Hi all, here are the remaining photo shots of this old diorama after the replacement of figures:

Several remaining items are still available... Enjoy!

Cheers,

Garry
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 04:38 PM UTC
the color of ground look flat, try paint it with clear varnish.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the color of ground look flat, try paint it with clear varnish.

Thank you Richard, nice to know you! Some portion of the ground are dry and others are wet. For the wet one, I already make them clear by using clear spray. They may not yet shown in my post before, I will post them soon. Happy modelling

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 12:24 AM UTC
Ok guys, here are other remaining pictures of this project:

Enjoy!

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 09:19 PM UTC

And enjoy I did! Thanks for posting!

A lot of positive elements there, but the best thing is your mud! It couldn't get more dirty and slippery, could it!

I pity the guys who must clean the vehicles and the kit after the mud has dried!

Cheers

Romain

durruti16
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 09:46 PM UTC

Sorry, but panzergrau tanks don't much with MP44 and panzerfaust; when they were issued, all the tanks had a yellow basecoat. The same for the 250/8, it was first released in december 1945, and I don't think it can be put in a sort of Russian winter scenario...
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, but panzergrau tanks don't much with MP44 and panzerfaust; when they were issued, all the tanks had a yellow basecoat. The same for the 250/8, it was first released in december 1945, and I don't think it can be put in a sort of Russian winter scenario...

Thank you for your comments, but sorry also, for further correction, deeper understanding or anything else, would you please to show me the resources related to it?

Cheers

Garry
 _GOTOTOP