_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
t-62 model 1962 tank stowage in Afghanistan
wypiorp
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I want to make T-62 model 1962 tank in service at the early years of soviet invasion of Afghanistan (1979-1989). I know that Polish manufacturer RB Model is making a resin conversion set for that tank No. 35RS03 shown on the photos above under this link:

http://rbmodel.pl/picture.php?dir=35RS03

Pictures courtesy of RB Models.

It shows a T-62 model 1962 tank with stowage typical for that period, spare wheels, crew helmets, weapons and so on, and most important, with early Omsh tracks wrapped around the turret just like the same vehicles seen in Chechnya. The problem is that after doing a thorough search in the web and researching my two Concord books about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan I can tell that I havent seen a single tank in the A-stan in configuration like that. All the T-62 model 1962 tanks are seen in various stages of modifications and rebuilds, i.e. when they have Omsh tracks they are equipped with side skirts simultaneously, or they are refitted with late Rmsh tracks with the same tracks wrapped around the turret, again having side skirts. I have seen only one photo showing early T-62 model 62 tank in the A-stan having Omsh tracks, but this one had also side skirts and also had Omsh track links fitted to turret side handrails, with guide teeth sticking outside (just like in WWII) not turned inside like in RB Model conversion.

What I am trying to explain is that in my opinion this conversion is not based on a real vehicle seen in A-stan but rather a sci-fi product made by this manufacturer. Unless someone here had seen this configuration in any reference, book or online, I am in doubt as whether to buy this conversion or not for my T-62 model 62 placed additionally on the trailer of MAZ-537G late model in the Afghanistan scenery.
Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance ,

Piotr

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC

The second and the last pics might I've posted would depict the exemplars which have inspired RB model

cheers
wypiorp
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi Mauro,

I know the photos you have shown me. They present the similar configuration of T-62 stowage, but with later tracks on wheels and around turret, with all late features with which these tanks were retrofitted in the Afghanistan. This proves that the RB Models set is not base on a real photo but is fictious rather, so I am still at starting point in my project.

Thanks,

Piotr
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 04:18 AM UTC
Yes, but as far I can see from the pictures, these tanks have the 1962 engine deck. So, to obtain a right exemplar you have to get the late track links and the right 14 teeth sprocket wheel.

For exemple Miniarm sells both:

http://www.miniarm.com/index.php?menu=t55

RB set provides the extra stowage but it doesn't give you the right track links...That doesn't mean that the tank is fictional

Otherwise you can also use the RB conversion on a Trumpeter T-62 mod 1972. You would have to modify the engine deck, but you could safe some money

cheers
wypiorp
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 07:51 PM UTC
Mauro,

Searching through my photo library I found another picture which presents in my opinion a T-62 mod. 1962 in the Soviet Afghan war. See this link:

pwypior's  album on Photobucket

Looks like this one has the early OMsh tracks on the suspension and elements of the same track fitted to turret side handrails. It appears that this tank doesn't have the fabric side skirts, at least I don't see them in this photo. The turret front is not visible, but I suppose that this tank doesn't have the rangefinder and BDD armor. To me this is proof that examples of T-62 mod. 62 tanks with their early construction features like on that photo existed in the A-stan at the time of Soviet invasion, so the Trumpeter kit can be used for my project, with some elements of RB Models conversion used. Would you confirm my suspicions?

Thanks,

Piotr
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 08:39 PM UTC
I've checked your picture

That's a T-62 model 1962 with early track links for sure. However the links on the turret seem to be some spare ones rather than being an extra armour. As you can notice they are beneath the turret handle. If they had been used as an armour the would have been upon tha handle.

Anyway, I think that you could use a Trumpeter T-62 mod 1962 with the RB conversion and nevermind if the turet extra armour is made with the early track links. Even if there are no photographic proof of an exemplar such this, I think that it would be an exemplar which is likely to heve been made.
wypiorp
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 09:20 PM UTC
Thanks Mauro, you saved my project!

It was a big relief to me when I found that picture, because it turned out, that I can easily use that T-62 model 62 from Trumpeter in my build without fearing about historical inaccuracy. I was afraid that I will be forced to use the later T-62 BDD mod 1984 kit from Trumpeter for that, and it would be bad! I have another Afghanistan project with this tank in mind, with mixed set of T-54/55 spiderweb and starfish T-62 wheels on the suspension arms.

Thanks again,
Piotr
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
cool, didn't know RB was doing that, just as I'm working on the same thing, but a T62M with the tracks half round the turret,must finnish before poster above

greetz
 _GOTOTOP