Hosted by Darren Baker
how to make a parachute
gavcarter
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:40 PM UTC
Feel free to move to correct section. any ideas on making a parachute? 1:72 I have no problems making a mould to form it over but what do I use? thin paper? tea bag? can't fathom what would give the right texture.
also an idea on size would be good I found many good articles on design how many panels how many lines but no mention of its diameter lol. its for a Ww2 German pilot circular chute with small circle opening in top. doesn't need to be exact to scale but needs to look right I was thinkin about two and half body length in diameter?
any thoughts on this?
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 12:57 PM UTC
I looked into this a while back, didn't find much. What I did find was the American model of parachute during D-Day and Market Garden was a twenty eight foot diameter chute with twenty eight panels. I can't imagine the US and Germans were too different in their designs of parachutes. Sorry I can't be of more help.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
28 panels, four gores. 14 shroud lines 21meters in length, 6 meters between canopy and main lift webs.

I don't know if pilot chutes were the same as for Fallschirmjaefer, but theirs were designed so that they landed face down.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
Maybe this might be of some use

German parachute site

Nige
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:18 AM UTC
This question has been brought up, before. You can use a shooter marble for a form. Apply a small, circular piece of doped tissue paper over the marble. Let it dry. You should be able to cut a small hole with a razor knife. For the cord, .1mm wire is recommended.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe this might be of some use

German parachute site

Nige

Unfortunately that site is for modern German chutes. In fact, their T-10 is the one that some US units still use. (The ones who don't want their inexperienced jumpers trying to maneuver around in a mass tactical jump)
Likewise the reserve chute shown is the older side pull reserve reserve used by The US. The third is a ram air chute, and the rest are Czech.
gavcarter
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 07:16 AM UTC
I have good pictures of the chute from roundabout the right time, its mainly the diameter I am stuck on. judging by the lengths of the lengths of the lines and the free length between canopy and Webbing I scaled down the left over line to about 120mm. this seems overly big to me or is that about right?
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Sounds way too big to me as well in 1/72. Don't forget that the measurements would be for the chute laying flat on the ground, not formed above the jumper.. I think...
 _GOTOTOP