Hosted by Darren Baker
Leclerc Aftermarket Parts
Coldsteel6d
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC
I am planing to finally dig into my Tamiya Leclerc series 2 kit next weekend. I wanna go a little bit crazy on aftermarket stuff on this one. I know there are a few guys on here that know the Leclerc like the back of their hand. So my question is what would you recommend for aftermarket stuff?

So far if I had to buy now with no help my plan is to get the Bronco tracks, Voyager PE set with barrel, and the Eduard PE set.

Please any feedback is appreciated. I plan on being at the bench on this guy for a few months at least so let me know if I missed anything or if some of the stuff listed is sub par or not worth it.

Thanks in advance guys.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 12:43 PM UTC
I tried to go all out with corrections and detailing on my UNIFIL Leclerc.

The kit tracks are very good and I did not see a need to replace them.

I used the following sets:

Voyager Tamiya Leclerc detail set #35073
Eduard Leclerc Series 2 #35844
Eduard Leclerc Fenders #TP085

You will find some duplication between the Voyager and Eduard Series 2 sets but overall I liked the Voyager set better.

Good luck!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 01:38 PM UTC
Hi Robert;
I built this kit a number of years ago, rite after it came out. I had the Heller kit in my stash also, so i built them together at the same time. The Tamiya in my respect is one of there Better kits, and other than maybe a Metal Barrel
does not need anything extra. I thought the Metal Road Wheels
were a lil Odd.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Coldsteel6d
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 02:16 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yea I think the kit is great and doesn't "need" anything. This is more of a practice session for me. I have done PE stuff in the past but never in a scale like I plan here. I want something that will challenge me and hone my skills some. I am an intermediate modeler at best so this can only help me. But at the same time I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Going to go all out here.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 02:19 PM UTC
If you are going all out to build skills take a crack at the anti-slip surface that is lacking in the kit. On the Leclerc it is very distinct and visible....much more than on other NATO AFVs.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 07:02 PM UTC
Sorry to advertise my own job on this kit but you could have a look at the tweaks list I wrote some years ago.

PDF file

When I built mine, I just used the Tamiya PE set (expensive for what you get in) and the Blast model resin update set.

Here is how it turned.

I also used the Echelon decals set.

If you decide to go with a metal barrel, be aware that on the real one, there are a number of holes under the thermal shroud.

Concerning the paint, the Tamiya NATO references are wrong for French armor. You'd better go with some XF5 Flat Green, XF10 Flat Brown and XF1 Black. On my own model I used XF64 Red Brown but according to many people, the French brown is more chocolate so XF10 is more suitable.

HTH
Olivier
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 08:05 PM UTC
Didn't BLAST have some upgrade sets ... I know I've got one.
Still looking great your Leclerc Olivier !

Cheers
Christopher
Coldsteel6d
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to advertise my own job on this kit but you could have a look at the tweaks list I wrote some years ago.

PDF file

When I built mine, I just used the Tamiya PE set (expensive for what you get in) and the Blast model resin update set.

Here is how it turned.

I also used the Echelon decals set.

If you decide to go with a metal barrel, be aware that on the real one, there are a number of holes under the thermal shroud.

Concerning the paint, the Tamiya NATO references are wrong for French armor. You'd better go with some XF5 Flat Green, XF10 Flat Brown and XF1 Black. On my own model I used XF64 Red Brown but according to many people, the French brown is more chocolate so XF10 is more suitable.

HTH
Olivier

Was hoping you would chime in here.

No need to apologize for showing off your own work, to be honest your reputation precedes you. I already had found the document you listed. I haven't read it all but I have got it saved for reference. Lots of good stuff in there.

Didn't even think about decal sets or that the standard NATO colors might not be right on. Looks like my shopping list just got a bit longer.

Thanks again for all of the replies. When it comes to modern armor this is the only place to go. And since all I do is modern I think I'll pop my head in a bit more then I usually do.
Coldsteel6d
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you are going all out to build skills take a crack at the anti-slip surface that is lacking in the kit. On the Leclerc it is very distinct and visible....much more than on other NATO AFVs.

Did that once with a Merkava. Gonna need to find some pics, shouldn't be to hard I am sure I have seen some somewhere.Last time I made it a little too rough so maybe I will get it right this time.
 _GOTOTOP