_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Can we have some more?
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 11:05 AM UTC
A 1/35 diorama showinf German Soldiers having their breakfast

spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 11:08 AM UTC
bloody hell.. very nice!
gavcarter
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
amazing work, keep it coming
Gav
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
Nice interaction between the figures !!!!!!

Very natural and nothing looks forced or out of context !!!!!!!!!!

Love it

Nige
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 06:37 PM UTC
Wow, I love the vegetation! What kind of products have you used for it?
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Guys

Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

The vegitation is mostly woodland scenic products with static grass,field grass,fine leaf foliage, and grass clumps. The leaves are from greenline and I made the trees myself from garden roots and woodland scenics foliage.

Cheers

Gerry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 08:28 PM UTC
Hi Harley! I hope I have no mistake in write down your original name

IMO, the SdKfz 251's left track was too tight and maybe also the right one, especially in parking position. You may to make them somewhat falls into the wheels

Overall, you already perform an outstanding job on this diorama project! Congratulations!

Cheers

Garry
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 11:43 PM UTC
Very very nice! The scenery is outstanding and the scene is very well composed. The soldier shaving is a brillant touch. Well done!

Ernest
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 01:38 AM UTC
Garry/Ernest

Thank you for your kind comments.

Garry I see what you mean about the tracks.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Gerry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Garry I see what you mean about the tracks.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Gerry

You're welcome Harley

Revisiting your topic for a few times makes me so inspiring! Let allow me to add some other suggestions for your work:

Cool & inspiring details:
1. Chipping paint.
Chipping spread on the overall armor are very fine. Especially, the interior of the SdKfz 251 got your brilliant touches of chipping.

2. The chain mounted on the feldkutche.
I really like the rust effect of the chain! Looks so real and heavy, but you may provide better shots of the picture number 8.

3. Camouflage paint applied.
I never try paint with an airbrush, but I'm sure that your performance of using an airbrush was outstanding, especially as appear on the Panzer IV and SdKfz 251 with soft edge pattern

4. The fried egg
Oh no, I never imagine such fried egg very nicely represented
by your touch. Also the glossy effect of fried oil that you applied onto the eggand the frying pan! Really nice touch!

Need some improvements:
1. Photo capturing.
Honestly, I feel guilty when I tell about photograph quality since I do not have enough experience to make a high shot quality But, simply to tell that I'm sure that you are able to capture photos of your diorama with a better quality, just for one key point: Wait until the sun light arrives!
I guess that you capture such pictures indoor in the night with low light, CMIIW At the some spots, the pictures appear to be blur as seen on pic number 2,6, and 15. By using a digital camera simply set to the auto fovus & macro mode, IMO I'm able to capture fine diorama pictures

2. The SdKfz 251's tracks.
I told it on my previous post and you're already got it FYI, such happening also happen to me when I build my first SdKfz 251, guess what? The tracks on both sides can't be recovered and I bought a new kit

3. Cigarette's smoke.
The sitting officer whom reading a book. IMO, he was look like burning a wooden stick rather than smoking. You may decrease the amount of cotton (am I right?) or something else that you used to represent such smoke and make them shorter than before.

4. The camouflage pattern applied on feldkutche's wheels.
Such wheels are made from wood and as I know, such wooden material did not have any camouflage painting on it, just like an axe handle mounted on an armor. Just simply paint it with flat earth or combination between burnt sienna and burnt umber.

Have fun and quality time for us in scale modelling

Best regards from Indonesia

Garry
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:08 PM UTC
Garry

Thanks for the advice and I agree with your observations.

I apologise for my photographs as I do not have a good camera or photographic skills although I am working on it.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment

Cheers

Gerry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Garry

Thanks for the advice and I agree with your observations.

I apologise for my photographs as I do not have a good camera or photographic skills although I am working on it.

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment

Cheers

Gerry

You're welcome Gerry and you need not to say sorry about your photographic skills since I have the same problem actually

Fortunately, the usage of digital camera (I suggest) become easier nowadays and simply set to the proper setting as I told you before, the result may be better, IMO

Cheers

Garry
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:18 AM UTC
Very nice! Great representation of some of the mundane activities that really speak to real life!
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 02:24 AM UTC
Gerry –

I very much agree with this:

> Nice interaction between the figures
Very natural and nothing looks forced or out of context

And this:

> Very nice! Great representation of some of the mundane activities that really speak to real life!

But not this:

> The sitting officer whom reading a book. IMO, he was look like burning a wooden stick rather than smoking. You may decrease the amount of cotton (am I right?) or something else that you used to represent such smoke and make them shorter than before.

I actually noticed the cigarette before the smoke, as it is stretched out so finely, and the first time I looked at the photo I didn’t even see it. I was so drawn to the book, the cigarette and his general aura of both focus and relaxation – oblivious to all the activity around him - that I missed it. To my eyes the feldkutche smoke is the real problem, since it is so obvious what the material is and it’s such a thick and short piece. It is a disservice to the rest of the diorama.

I don’t know what to suggest other than stretching it some. Or - putting a battery-powered electronic smoke unit in ;-) I suspect that the smokestack is so wide that even if the cotton is not so dense, it will still have the effect that you want. I believe you want the smoke to define a large “volume” of space, but it doesn’t need to be so thick to do that. Also, it widens just as it comes out of the top; I realize that it may come out of the smokestack more forcefully than from the cigarette, but perhaps thin it out at the bottom and have it occupy more space overall as it rises and breaks apart?

I just looked at many photos of feldkutche on Google Images and noticed two things:

1 There is never that much thick smoke from the smokestack
2 * IF * the lid is open, there is always more smoke coming from there than the smokestack.

I only found one exception, I think from WW1, and the smoke is black (and very thin), so I think it might be a different fuel.

I also looked at many images of industrial smokestacks, and unless there is a strong wind (the cigarette and the smokestack disagree a bit) the smoke rises at the diameter of the stack for higher than you show before it starts to spread out. This seems to vary by the type of smoke.

One other small thing: the fellow shaving is a clever touch, but his eyes are positioned higher than the top of the mirror, so he can see his chin but not everywhere he is supposedly shaving – definitely not the sideburns. Maybe he can borrow the officer’s book to raise the mirror . . .

Also – maybe just a little bit of smoke coming from the ladle, and/or the bowl if it has just been filled.

My evidence is below.

Charles

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...But not this:

> The sitting officer whom reading a book. IMO, he was look like burning a wooden stick rather than smoking. You may decrease the amount of cotton (am I right?) or something else that you used to represent such smoke and make them shorter than before.

I actually noticed the cigarette before the smoke, as it is stretched out so finely, and the first time I looked at the photo I didn’t even see it. I was so drawn to the book, the cigarette and his general aura of both focus and relaxation – oblivious to all the activity around him - that I missed it. To my eyes the feldkutche smoke is the real problem, since it is so obvious what the material is and it’s such a thick and short piece. It is a disservice to the rest of the diorama...

Hi Charles, regarding to your opinion which disagree with one of mine as quoted above, sorry, I still can't follow what exactly you mean I hope for your further explanation

So far, my understanding of your disagreement related to my opinion about the sitting officer whom reading a book and also smoking. But, later you mainly discuss about the officer's action and furthermore, smoke generated from the Feldkutche. Maybe I'm wrong, CMIIW, since IMO somewhat unrelated between each other and also, to ensure whether my such opinion already on the right track or not

Anyway, your posted photographs give me another package of reference about non-battle activities of German troops during WW II. That's very cool!

Thank you buddy

Cheers

Garry
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 03:34 AM UTC
Selamat sore Garry -

I'm glad the photos will be useful. I've looked at more photos in the past two months than any other period of my life. I've discovered that I really enjoy research, but have no plans to buy all the "reference" books the rest of you guys have. Ditto on an airbrush.

OK -

- I do disagree with you about the cigarette smoke

- Some of that is related to the other things I said about the officer, and I don't know how else to explain them. Try running my text through an on-line translator, but I don't know if it will help or not.

- I think the other smoke is a much "bigger" problem; compare it to the photos. Look where the smoke is coming from. When the "lid" is open, I see almost no smoke coming from the smokestack. Maybe other folks have varying reference photos. I only know what I see.

g'day, Charles ---- eh?
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Selamat sore Garry -

OK -

- I do disagree with you about the cigarette smoke

- Some of that is related to the other things I said about the officer, and I don't know how else to explain them. Try running my text through an on-line translator, but I don't know if it will help or not.

Right now in my country, the clock just point out at 10.50 PM. You're very cool to say it as "Good evening" translated as "Selamat sore", no matter at all!
Actually Indonesian people commonly say it as "Good night" translated as "Selamat malam" to express greetings at such time

I will clearly check it later regarding things related to the officer

Cheers

Garry
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
Garry -

My source said:

•Good Morning: Selamat pagi (sounds like: 'pag-ee')
•Good Day: Selamat sore (sounds like: 'sor-ee')
•Good Afternoon: Selamat siang (sounds like: 'see-ahng')
•Good Evening: Selamat malam (sounds like: 'mah-lahm')

Since I didn't feel like checking time zones, I thought I was saying good day and hoped it covered any time.

On the officer, I like that everyone else is "busy" and he's in his own world - or whatever world the book is taking him to.

Charles
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC
Gerry -

I found another German cook (his own best customer ;-) for you if you ever need one.

Scale Link ex-SMA German cook

Charles
gerrysmodels
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
Guys

Thanks for all the interesting comments and photographs. Really helpful and can only make my efforts better.

Appreciated.

Gerry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys

Thanks for all the interesting comments and photographs. Really helpful and can only make my efforts better.

Appreciated.

Gerry

You're welcome my friend

Cheers,

Garry
 _GOTOTOP