_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Fingerprint Removal
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:11 PM UTC
Hello,

I managed to leave a very small fingerprint on the top wing of my corsair

The good news is that it is not in the paint, but in the acrylic gloss coat that I have applied.

I tried to buff it out with a tissue, but no effect. Im hesitant to use water as of yet. Im afraid if I use water, I will smear the acrylic and have to strip it all down. Would this come out if I sprayed over it with a flat clear coat? Or maybe hide it with some weathering effects.....any suggestions? Thanks!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:23 PM UTC
To hide it, I'd go with weathering. It will have to be a bit heavy handed. But, this would go against the plane looking authentic. If you have a dremel, you can use one of the cotton buffing wheels to get it out. Just make sure it is completely dry, first.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:25 PM UTC
Let it dry the use a polishing cloth on the spot, repaint the area as needed Apply another coat of gloss. If you try flat over teh area,you will have a dull fingerprit in the finish. There is no easy way out. Weathering is no gurantee you'll effectively hide the fingerprint. As they say when you want to get out of a hole, the first step is to stop digging.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thats what I was thinking Matt. I'll try the flat coat first and see what happens. I think the gloss coat is making it really stand out. I dont want to heavily weather this plane....
Cheers!
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As they say when you want to get out of a hole, the first step is to stop digging.

Exactly!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2013 - 01:01 PM UTC
Don't apply any more paint! That would make the finger print more difficult to buff out.
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't apply any more paint! That would make the finger print more difficult to buff out.

I wont Matt, thanks. I did spray a flat coat over it and it seemed to work. However the model looks alittle dusty from the flat finish. Wonder why... i'll have to experiment too see what I can do to fix this next problem
Cheers!!
Blackstoat
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 561 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 09:17 AM UTC
I got a dusty finish using vallejo matt varnish. Last model (I've only done 2) I switched to Testors Dullcote diluted with cellulose thinner and its worked a treat

plasticman17
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a dusty finish using vallejo matt varnish. Last model (I've only done 2) I switched to Testors Dullcote diluted with cellulose thinner and its worked a treat

Hey Andy, I used the Model Master Acryl Flat coat sealer. And I got a dusty finish. I've used it before with no problems. I went ahead and bought a can of dullcote. Cleaned it up pretty well, the finish is alittle rough, but Im not going to touch it. I think its good enough, if I mess with it, I will make it worse...been there, done that
 _GOTOTOP