_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which is BEST Tamiya Tiger tank? 1/35 scale
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Ive seen there are 4-5 types of Tiger tanks available to purchase and just wanted opinions of which Tiger or King Tiger was the best for you?

Thanx in Advance

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
I had heard that the early Afrika Korps was the best, but I don't know for sure. I think it's the best since it definitely does not have zimmerit.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
I have built 3 Tamiya Tiger kits and my favorite was the King Tiger.. I honestly think it was the "smoothest" kit I have ever built. Everything just fell into place and it was really a treat to build.. I just bought the "Ardennes" version and I am looking forward to building it.. :-)
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ive seen there are 4-5 types of Tiger tanks available to purchase and just wanted opinions of which Tiger or King Tiger was the best for you?

As the other posters have mentioned, you can't go wrong with any of Tamiya's big cats.
The Initial or "African Tiger" has the correct asym turret, and can be built as either an African or Leningrad Tiger. Only. They were the only 2 uses of this initial version. The others - Early, Mid, Late/Final can be built for any number of units, theaters; Eastern Front, Italy, Sicily, France. Later mids and lates need zimm.
The Porsche KT is a gem, and requires zimm to be correct.
The Henschel KT can be built w/without zimm, depending on what you are trying to replicate.
The Ardennes KT is their Henschel with some extra figs, markings, and a later mantlet style, mostly seen w/out zimm.

The closest competitors to Tamiya for Tiger Is would be the Academy kits. Italeri falls 3rd, but can still be built into damn nice kits.

The only other competitor for the KTs would be long OOP Nichimo's from eBay, which were better than the first Tamiya Henschel KT of the late 60's, but not as nice as the Tamiya Henschel of the 90s.
If your gonna drop the Tamiya coin, may as well get the Fruil metal links and go all the way.
Forget the Tamiya JagdTiger, get a DML version.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All of the "new" Tamiya Tiger I kits are basically the same with the exception of different details to portray the various versions (Early, Mid, and Late production). Overall they are very good kits and undoubtedly the best 1/35 Tigers out there. I believe most if not all the Tamiya Tiger I's come with individual link tracks, although each link has 4 (count 'em, 4!!!) little ejector pin marks on the inner surfaces. Some modelers also have issues with the turrets not being asymmetrical. I wouldn't know though, they certainly look fine to me. Personally I've built the Mid-production version. As far as the Tamiya King Tiger kits go, same thing applies. Very good kits. Note this applies to the "new" 1990's era Tamiya Tiger family. They did do some motorized 1/35 Tiger and King Tiger kits back in the 1970's I think that aren't as good.

Actually, U of A is not quite correct. The most accurate of the Tamiya Tigers is are the two newest molds, the 35216 and 35227 early versions. I like the 227 Afrika Tiger as it is very unique, but the 216 is the classic early Tiger. These two kits have the most accurately shaped turret. The Mid and Late production tigers are also excellent, though, very good. How many people will really know that your turret shape is off?

I believe the most accurate Tiger 1 you can buy out of the box is the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger 1. As to King Tigers, I believe the newer tool Tamiya 1/35 kits are all great kits to start with.

HTH,

Scott
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:19 PM UTC
Gotta love that POrsche turret King Tiger. Get the cavilier or Eduard Zimerit set for it. I'm going with the cavalier as I bought some brass fenders I want to bend up for it. I'm saving that one for desert though, I 'm doing a mass Modern US build now
M113
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:34 PM UTC
Always 35216, nothin but 35216, again 35216 :-)
And off course if u wanna do one "Afrika", get the "Initial" one.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
All the Tamiya Tigers I are very good kits. I found no diference between them. But also the Academy Tiger I is a very good also.
I think that between the two brands you can pick the cheapear. Here the Academy kits are cheaper than the Tamiya ones.

Here is my Tamiya Tiger I, I built it three years ago and it´s in the Features:

M113
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Wonderful African CAS Good job !
M113
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC
Ooopsss.... Havent seen the coat & the snow #:-)
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replys and with that Im focusing on the King Tiger Porsche turret or Ardennes version... ...Do these kits have individual track links or Rubberbands????

(I hate individual track links )

animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
The Porsche Turret that I am building has the rubber band type tracks. I really like the model a lot. It is my first Tiger kit and I am pleased with the fit for the most part. I am building it with the winter wash on it. Get one you won't be sorry.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC
Great looking snow tiger. I think that all of the Tamiya tiger kits are great .
PaulHanson
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Sorry, nfafan, I have to disagree. I have built all the Nichimo kits. They Tiger II's were all out of proportion and angles to the front of the hull and glacis plate were off because of motorization. To build any of them correctly involved cutting these plates out and re-doing them at the correct angles. Also the hulls were 4 scale inches too long, and the Jagdtiger 4 scale inches too short, because Nichimo took the difference between the two hull lengths and split it. At least they made some attempt, Tamiya ignored it(or didn't know it).

The angles of the NichimoTiger I hull plates are even worse.

These kits are nice collector's items but not worth building now with all the better kits out there.

PH
J_Peiper
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
I'm building the kingtiger porche turret ardens version right now and its kit no.252
with rubber tracks.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had heard that the early Afrika Korps was the best, but I don't know for sure. I think it's the best since it definitely does not have zimmerit.

I agree get the Initial version one first now OOP.
second Late version
Third the Tiger II ardennes Version picked it up for 24.00 half off at Hobby Lobby.
Academy is real close to Tamiya kit have one also parts are interchangeable (++) (:-)
 _GOTOTOP