_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M151 Shmira/Djapas
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 253 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 09:37 AM UTC
Sitting here in Israel with five consecutive days of rain left my mountain-bike still clean so far and me with a little bit of time to mop the dust from the bits and bytes of a build startet long ago.
Well - maybe reliving its creation will speed up the process of getting into it again back home...

But lets start from the beginning:

Once upon a time...
...while taking a mountain bike ride in the Machtesh Ramon (Ramon Crater) in Israels Negev Desert with some friends back in 1991 a patrol on a Mutt M151 checked on us.

So when I came across the Shmira-kit from Academy about 20 years later, the idea was born to build such a patrol car.

The mentioned Academy kit provided the base. But as I figured out during my build the kit is a hybrid of a M151 A1 and a M151 A2. The front fenders are A1 as stated but the rear wheel housing is one of an A2. With most of the pictures available showing A2s I decided to go for an A2. CMK provided the front fenders and Eduard an additional PE-set for some detailling.

And here are some pics taken during the build:

A close up from the left shows a bit of detailling of the steering rod.

The CMK Shmira conversion kit provided the wanted A2-fenders but unfortunatly no matching lights. These were taken from another M151 kit and boosted a little bit with Evergreen-PS-rod.

If you wonder now whether the hood looks pretty beaten up – well, then you are right. Thatīs just what it is. As I intend to build a war-and-weather-beaten vehicle serving itīs last days in miluim (Reserve duties) exercises, I wanted to add some damage to represent a look like the one below.

So I tried various techniques to create the damage I envisioned. Finally a 500 g hammer did the trick. Pounding hood, grill, fenders and sideskrits I got close to the desired result. In this process the grill broke (propably due to a production flaw) and was covered with the filter CMK wisely provided in their conversion.

Straight front wheels often look a bit boring. So I cut the front axels and realigned them at an angle.

The rear of the original Shmira kit didnīt please me in the first place. And after the Eduard bumpers were attached, the spare wheel didnīt fit anymore and the PE-part looked a bit weird. So the whole thing was replaced with another rear from yet another M151 kit and - surprisingly - now everything fits.

Note the various hues of colors deriving from the different plastic from different kits

And now some more progress...

Lets start with the upper steering arm that neither the Academy nor the Tamiya kit provide.

After several attempts with thick aluminum foil/sheet the best results were achieved with PS-sheet and PS profile. A bent PS strip was glued to a preformed copper wire and covered with 0,2 mm PS-sheet which then was trimmed to shape. At last 2 vertical rods were added. Although I am not completely dissatisfied with my modest scratch build the result leaves room for improvement. But - see for yourself:

As you might have noticed, in the meantime something happend to the lights. I found the representaion of the housing screws with 0,5 mm PS-rod too coarse and replaced them with 0,4 mm soldering wire. A band of aluminum foil from a wine bottle neck was then wrapped around the front of the housing.

Some more strap holders - or however they are called - were added to the hood and the rear wheel housings.

As you might have noticed, the filler cap beside the hood (right) was removed as a havenīt seen it on any of the israeli Mutts.

The next picture shows the detailed fuel tank with the inlet and some wireing along with the battery cover under the co-driverīs seat. Why to take this pain? Well - I didnīt like the kitīs seats and the ones of the CMK Conversion didnīt satisfy me either for they had not the rugged and patchy look I am after. This means that I will have to reconstruct the seats bottom up. Meaning: starting with a tube frame, then adding springs and cushions.

So finally I consider my tiny little Mutt ready.
Ready to be ruined by paint.

Here are some farewell pictures:

Any comments or suggestions are wellcome.

Michael
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:36 PM UTC
Amazingly nice work! It's interesting to see how much detail and care could go into a little M151 jeep.
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC
Wow, Michael.
Very nice work and great improvement of the basekit! Looking forward to see this one with colour.

Are there soldiers and a radio equipment planned for this little beast?

I've a M151 with a large searchlight mounted on the loading area on my workbench, which I met in the early 90s at Tiberia (Sea of Galilee). Now when I saw the level of detail you put into your work ... Iīve to redo my model ;-)

cheers
Walter
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 10:58 PM UTC
Thanks Peter and Walter for the encouraging words. Pictures with the first layers of paint will follow when Iīm back home.

The idea is to put the M151 with two soldiers on reserve duty taking a rest on a small base.

Both figures are kit bashed and will still receive some redo. Those pics are meant to give a first idea.

The radio equipment will consist of the RT524 Receiver/Transmitter-Unit only as this is the configuration I saw most often on the internet pictures.

This pic serves as an example, although the Receiver/Transmitter-Unit in this pic is an RT246 and not an RT 524 as the one I will use.
The tray for the RC442 Receiver-Unit will thus stay empty (you might have noticed the plug that was added to the tray).

The sleep pad is made from milliput, flattend out as evenly as I could and then rolled around the rollover bar. The straps are made from tape.

I wanted to improve the antenna sockets so that the antenna can be displayed in a bent position (at least the left one). This required making the socket from wire that can be shaped into the desired form. The challenge was the ellipsoid shape of the socket. The technique I finally figured out is best explained with some pictures:

A wedge shaped piece was cut from regular masking tape.

This was wapped around a drill of the appropriate diameter.

Wire was spooled along the prepared part of the drill and - due to the masking tape wedge - took on an ellipsoid shape.

The masking tape was then burned off so that the wire spool could be slid of the drill.

The spool was cleaned with a brass brush and its ends trimmed and flattend.

Unfortunately I messed both antenna sockets up while painting them and have to redo them again. At least I now know how to...

Happy modelling

Michael
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Looks really great so far. Nice figure for the scene.

I like the posings of this set from Bravo 6 http://www.sockelshop.de/catalog/military-police-vietnam-p-34186.html but they must be reworked for IDF figures ;-)

Excellent tips for building antenna sockets!!!
Thanks a lot for that.

Cheers
Walter
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2013 - 08:05 PM UTC
Really cool. Lots of nice scratching and a good memory to go with it. Looking forward to seeing some paint.
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Walter,

the posture of those figures is indeed nice. The shmira crew from Legend is as well a nice one and does not need to be altered to fit the IDF theme.

Michael
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 10:38 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind remarks.

Some paint was wanted.

Well the first layer of paint is long dry but I didnīt take pictures yet. These days I hoped to have access to a decent camera. Unfortunatly this didnīt work out, so that the following pictures were taken with my mobile. I am not satisfiyed with but for the time being, that has to do.

The model was first primed black and then airbrushed with a colour mix of the following four Tamiya paints: 1 part XF20, 1 part XF27, 1 part XF49 and 1 part XF57. This mixture in turn was blended with 4 parts X22 and finally diluted with 8 parts X20A Thinner (I havenīt found it on a quick glance but I am quite sure, that I retrieved this recipe from www.idf-in-scale.com. When I will find it again on www.idf-modelling.com I will credit the developer).

Although not really to be seen in the pics, four consecutively lighter shades were applied (to 1 part of the basic mix 1 part XF 57, 1 part of X22 and 1 part of X20A was added. This step was repeated three times, leading to increasingly lighter tones). Shading was achieved by repeating this procedure with the same mixture, only that XF57 was replaced with XF27. Three such shades were added.

I tried various colour recipes from all kinds of sources and liked this one the best.

To add some colour variation, parts that might have been replaced were painted NATO Green (Tamiya XF67). Examples are the front turning lights and the blinker box at the steering shaft. I suppose - and pics from the real vehicle support this - that Israelis did not bother to paint those spares the colour of the Mutts body and used them with the color they came from the US.

Wheels have only been provisorically attatched and those are not the wheels of the Shmira kit. But both kinds of wheels can be used.

The right rear fender was painted white. The MLC designation on it is yet to be done.

The hebrew word for gas (Benzin) was handpainted below the tank inlet.

The radio set was painted Lifecolor UA119, drybrushed in light grey and pin washed with black. The cables are only loosly connected as the antenna mounts were removed and the handset will only be glued in place near the end.

That much for now. As soon as I have better pics, you will see them.

happy modelling!
Michael
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:33 AM UTC
Very nice. I like how you did the upper A arms in the front. You didn't by chance make a mold of them? I would bey a few from you if you did.
chubskee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 09:00 PM UTC
Wow i like the replica of that toys..
ahm can i ask a question??
where can i got an a information
so that i can purchase.. that one ??
thanks.. ^_^
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hello Gino,

no, I didnīt do any mold. Otherwise I would have been happy to give some to you.
Just by chance I met with one of my friends youīve seen in the very first picture these days and he suggested to get a 3D-Printer, as these become more and more affordable. So maybe that will be the future...

Michael
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow i like the replica of that toys..
ahm can i ask a question??
where can i got an a information
so that i can purchase.. that one ??
thanks.. ^_^

Hello Chubskee,

The basic kit ist Academys M151 Shmira

The photo etched parts come from Eduard (Nr. 35512).

Some parts were taken from Legends conversion set LF1018.

And some from CMKs Accessory Kit (CMK3035)

The wheels and headlights have been scavenged from Tamyias Mutt with trailer

All these kits and items should be easyly available through your lokal modelling store or via the internet.
Hope that answers the question.

Yours Michael
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:29 PM UTC
Nice progress, Michael.

I think the color matches the real thing very well!! Thanks for sharing the idf-color-recipe ;-)

Cheers
Walter
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
I said, that I want to build the seats from scratch. Well here is the first one. Please be kind on my solder points. Those are my first ones (and it took me quite some time to figure how this stuff will really stick together...). The seat frames are 0,8 mm brass rods. The springs are handbent 0,1 mm copper wire taken frome a wire which was dewired. The PE-parts come from Eduards Shmira set. All measures are approximate and over the thump. When it looked right and fit into its place, it was ok for me.
Cushions will follow.

Thanks for viewing
happy modelling

Michael
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 09:51 AM UTC
The seats look really great, Michael.
They will add a new level of detail to this build :-)

cheers
Walter
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 11:44 AM UTC
I had hoped to continue my little jeep a bit further but work prevented this. So at least some pictures of a few accessories I want to add to jeep and - later on - diorama. The figures are white tacked together to give a rough idea of them.

and a close up of the first paint layers on one of the figures head.

Thank you all for the motivating comments. It flatters me that this build inspires others.

happy modelling
Michael
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
Nice little details, Michael.

Now the Djapas is really coming alive ;-)

Cheers
Walter
Nagmakava
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
Getting better and better!

How did you make the seat springs?
panorama
Visit this Community
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Getting better and better!

How did you make the seat springs?

Hi Jim,
work induced stalemate hampered any progress. But at least I am finally able to answer your question after I managed to take some shots.

I started with a wooden board and placed two 0,4 mm syringe needles adjacend to each other.

Then I take 0,1 mm copper wire. The one you can retrieve from any flexible household cable after you removed the insulation. This I bend around the pins.

The bent wire is then released from the pins, turned upside down and reinserted between the pins...

...and bend another time for 180 degrees.

Thatīs the way it looks after this has been repeated a couple of times.

After I added the number of turns I need (in my case 11)...

...the edges are trimmed...

...and final adjustments are made with fine tweezers.

Finished:

And - being at it - I did the rest of the springs that I need for the second seat.

I hope it became clear. Otherwise donīt hesitate to address me again.

enjoy your weekend.

Michael
Nagmakava
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 116 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC
Michael, thank you very much for posting this SBS.

The photos make it really clear and its a very good technique (but I bet it must have caused you some serious eye-strain!)

Looking forwarded to seeing more of your build.
Dimitar
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
Michael, very nice build. I really love all the detail that you put on this little fella.
I am looking forward to see the crew and the weathering.
Keep us posted.
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 08:16 AM UTC
Excellent work and great SBS.
Thanks, Michael.

Cheers
Walter
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the walk through for making seat springs. I've often wondered what the best method is. I will certainly apply it, to some of my builds.
 _GOTOTOP