Hosted by Darren Baker
Military engineering - support figures
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
These seems to be a dearth of non-fighting military figures in all scales and for all armies. I'm particularly looking for engineering - sapper type figures for bridge building (US, British,and German), and railway construction (German). In period photos you see German soldiers with their shirts or even their pants off (black shorts seemed to be standard issue) in hot locations, but where are the figures for soldiers working with something other than a gun and in relaxed clothing? The only non-fighting figures available seem to be soldiers eating or resting.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 01:55 AM UTC
Try looking up "crew at work" or "soldiers at work". I have seen sappers, before. But, I can't remember the manufacturer or army.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC
I guess that some artillery crew figures should be usable for that with a few mods (providing the uniforms are OK...). There are plenty to choose from (in 1/35th scale at least)

H.P.
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC
There are these.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 03:08 AM UTC
Since this is in the 1/48 scale forum I guess Charles is looking for 1/48 scale figs though he does mention all scales. There are plenty of figure sets in 1/35 scale by both Miniart and Masterbox that fit the bill.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
MiniArt also make a German sapper set too I believe.

Not aware of any railway workers though, besides the few sets dedicated to the German Morser Gerat and Dora guns. About as close as you can get as far as I know.

MiniArt also make a DAK Panzer crew and artillery crew who are for the most part dressed, or undressed for the desert heat.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 04:24 AM UTC
You may have to look to O-scale Railway figures, for 1/43rd-ish scale

Or Preiser do a range of civvy, railway & military figures in scales from 1/87th to 1/24th, those I've seen are a bit simplified, but if you can't find anything else in the scale you need...
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 04:28 AM UTC
Good catch Pat ;-)

My first target is indeed 1:48 figures for this scene:

As you can see, I don't necessarily need railroad workers in terms of hammering down spikes, etc. I'm new to military modeling, and outside of the guys in T-shirts or no shirt, I have no idea of what sort of uniforms they're wearing. I suppose I could scrape the uniforms to create more casual clothes, like a T-shirt. It looks like there are also some officers and perhaps civilians around.

I think I'll have to scratch those caliper-type "hooks" on the I-beam.

I have thoughts of something in 1:35 that could also use some guys without guns.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 04:41 AM UTC
> "You may have to look to O-scale Railway figures, for 1/43rd-ish scale"

Jon - O-scale in the U.S. is actually 1:48, but most railroad work figures are involved in more RR specific tasks than most of these guys are. Actually, it's obvious that they're all waiting for the beam to get lower and closer when some of them will guide it into position based on orders.

Say - that's what I'll do - show it say a minute later in the process. Maybe even have the guys on the car loading the next one. However, I do like it being suspended, but I'll have them start to guide it into place.

I'm curious about something - were some German officers more loose than others regarding dress? I've seen a lot of images where guys working behind the lines look fairly casual. Even some guys in just boots and shorts loading railway guns.

duckdawgs
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hey Charles, check out the Ground Force campaign on Aeroscale, I have a corsair bore sighting diorama in progress. Shirtless, T shirt, and work overalls are what my figures are wearing. Most are Verlinden 1/48 figures, some are heavily modified with a mix of Tamiya, Eduard, and ICM pieces. The shirtless/t shirt guys are a three figure set called Luftwaffe crew summer. Bought several of those and converted them to different poses. Also mixed in some pieces from US mechanics and carrier deck crew, also from Verlinden. Good luck Also Eduard has a few Luftwaffe guys in casual dress also, some are working or lifting stuff...
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
Thanks, Roland - that summer crew sounds like just what I need. I'm not sure if I'm ready to start swapping body parts; as it is I'm terrified enough over just painting them - starting with figuring out the right colors for each one. Building the trestles is where I have the most experience.
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
Ok Charles than you must definitely check out Eduard 1/48 "Luftwaffe 1944" it is a 6 figure set, but there are 3 guys that would fit the bill, without major surgery. Also Eduard 1/48 "US Navy Personnel" has good poses for you, good luck and happy modeling
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 07:29 PM UTC
I agree with Roland. Bandai also made sapper sets 2-3 I think
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

> "You may have to look to O-scale Railway figures, for 1/43rd-ish scale"

Jon - O-scale in the U.S. is actually 1:48,

Ah... but in the UK O-scale is 1/43rd...
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
And here I thought it was actually 1.43.5?
Which is why American HO (half-O) is 1:87.
And on the continent it is 1:45, except for the French.
It's hard to imagine the British and the French agreeing on something ;-)

However - my basic point was that the military modeling scale is set at 1:48, so that's what I was hoping to locate figures in.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 06:02 AM UTC
Also, the Tamiya German field maintenance set has figures with the shirt sleeves rolled up to their elbows.
 _GOTOTOP