_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M113A3 OIF inspiration needed
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi!
I've been building a M113A3 from Academy OOB and is planing on adding stowage on the outside. The only problem is that i have absolutely no idea how it's suppose to look . Therefore i was hoping that someone have some pictures which i can use for reference/inspiration. Here's some pictures of what i have done so far:

Thanks in advance

Jakob
Anatoli
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 05:48 AM UTC
Google is your friend.

As I recall,those racks were a field modification. They could also be seen on M2 Bradleys. In thoery, you could base your general stowage pattern off of those if M113 pictures are too hard to track down. Although I'm sure some guys will have some much better photos.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
Repaint the hatches, none of that green should be showing
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Repaint the hatches, none of that green should be showing

Thx, have had trouble finding out which colors to use, does that apply to the aft ramp also or just the hatches on the roof?

Also thanks Aaron will look in to picture of the M2

Jakob
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 06:17 AM UTC
All of them, I would paint them the same sand color as the outside. Nice looking track though, I love 113's and have a few in various stages of construction. Lived in one for many a day, or month!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 06:41 AM UTC
I guess Legend's LF1120 M113 OIF Stowage set set may be inspiring

H.P.
yufkey70
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 04:09 PM UTC
I bought the Legend stowage set a few years ago. It was a great add on!!
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess Legend's set may be inspiring

H.P.

Thanks Frenchy that set does look great whis i had one!

Quoted Text

All of them, I would paint them the same sand color as the outside. Nice looking track though, I love 113's and have a few in various stages of construction. Lived in one for many a day, or month!

From the beginning i thought that i was an odd looking vehicle but it has really grown on me and I’m definitely going to build another one, or more, if I ever get the time

Thought I would upload some Pictures of how it turned out. I’m going to add straps and some weathering should make the green colour look more militarish. Will also be adding some barracuda along the side and some razor wire.

Lastly does anyone know if the m113s in Iraq has anti-laser coating on the vision blocks and if that is the case would this work:

Jakob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
Yes on the anti-laser coating on the vision blocks. Also, I would weather it a bit to blend it all in and make it look used. One other thing, the duffle bags and rucksaks should not be cammo. They come in overall medium green. Also, the covered rucksack should be three-tone desert camo. The sleeping bag stuff sack, behing the antenna on the right side, should be black. Lastly, your smoke grenade launchers have rubber caps on them which should be black as well.
repynot
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 194 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your not the only one... Remember one time, were I slept on the left sponson, just next to my place at the drivers seat. I could just barely fit there... But it was better than sleeping in the drivers seat, with the head resting on the catch opening..
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes on the anti-laser coating on the vision blocks. Also, I would weather it a bit to blend it all in and make it look used. One other thing, the duffle bags and rucksaks should not be cammo. They come in overall medium green. Also, the covered rucksack should be three-tone desert camo. The sleeping bag stuff sack, behing the antenna on the right side, should be black. Lastly, your smoke grenade launchers have rubber caps on them which should be black as well.

Thx! going to repaint them. I'we painted the caps now hadn't come around to painting them.

Jakob
jbutler
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 02:39 PM UTC
Very nice job on this vehicle!

JB
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
Yes yes grate work here!
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess Legend's LF1120 M113 OIF Stowage set set may be inspiring

H.P.

@J8kob_F: Great job on your M113. I might steal some of your ideas. Hope you don't mind. But I won't tell you

Ahhhh Frenchy, why did you have to link us to that place??!!!!(joking)

Just underneath the M113 link, there's another Leopard 2 AfterMarket (AM) that I'll have to get lol. I didn't need more of those sets and there you are, linking to one of them. I hate you, I hate you and I hate you again! (joking again petit cousin de l'autre côté de l'Atlantique ) hahhahaha.

I think you can guess that I'm about to build a Leopard 2A6M Canadian. It's funny, the one AM set I really want is the barracuda camo and I can't seem to find it in multi-parts.

I'm finishing a M163 and trying to fit in a M113 Verlinden AM interior with the engine. I don't expect much trouble since the Academy M163 Gatling turret doesn't go down very far inside so I think the Verlinden #2731 should fit in with a minimum of "fitting". I found this thread with google because I'm trying to find pictures of the engine so I can paint/weathering it.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Marco

I wish I were on Legend's payroll

If your M163 is based on the M113a2 chassis (early models were based on the M113A1), youl'll find a few pics engine pics here :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/155693

http://www.artuc.co/images/repairAndOverhaul.jpg

If you're using Verlinnen M113A1 engine, here's a nice M113A1 power pack view :

http://www.flanderstechsupply.com/images/Motor%20power%20pack%20M113.JPG

HTH

H.P.

ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Marco

If you're using Verlinnen M113A1 engine, here's a nice M113A1 power pack view :

http://www.flanderstechsupply.com/images/Motor%20power%20pack%20M113.JPG

HTH

H.P.

Hey! Big thank you for the photos, but I warn you: the engine will be much dirtier than in the photo.

Well, I think this is the one. The one thing I hate if I have to try to jury-rigged something so that the transmission (en francais, c'est le differentiel je crois)reaches both tracks. Right now, there's about my little finger of empty space. I'll figure out something.

BTW, it's very poorly explained in the instructions and I've just noticed that 2 parts were glued standing up when they were supposed to be glued sideways and the front part were supposed to be glued on the body of the AFV.

Do you have a trick to unglue (cyanoacrylate Insta-cure +) without breaking the parts?
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 04:30 AM UTC
I had completely forgotten about this thread when I saw it again earlier today. I looked at the pictures and saw that there aren’t any of how it looks when weathered so I thought I would show you. Planning on some figs and barracuda in the future but that's for another day so here we go:
First a pic of the unweathered one:

And how it looks now:

Hope you like it and thanks John, Marco and captin caveman for the nice comments.

Cheers

Jakob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC
Looks pretty nice. Good job on the weathering. The only nit-pick I have is on the fuel/water cans you have used. The one strapped to the left rear and the grouping inside are WWII cans and are no longer used. Modern fuel and water cans are plastic.

Fuel can, comes in only this dark green-brown color

Water can, comes in sand, black, and (less common) dark green

Even the metal US water/fuel can you have in the left storage rack is really out of date. You can still see them from time to time though. So it isn't totally wrong.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks pretty nice. Good job on the weathering. The only nit-pick I have is on the fuel/water cans you have used. The one strapped to the left rear and the grouping inside are WWII cans and are no longer used. Modern fuel and water cans are plastic.

And remember, if there's someone who knows his WWII cans, it's Gino. After all, he was there

marco

ps: just joking a little. @J8kob_F, excellent job but I would have loved to see it a bit dirtier. But it's only me. Once I finish mine, I'll make sure to post a couple of pic here.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The one thing I hate if I have to try to jury-rigged something so that the transmission (en francais, c'est le differentiel je crois)reaches both tracks. Right now, there's about my little finger of empty space. I'll figure out something.

Would this help ?

I guess some styrene rods (sprue trees) would do the trick...

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And remember, if there's someone who knows his WWII cans, it's Gino. After all, he was there

At times, it seems like I have been in the Army that long (19 years last month). But I wasn't in WWII.....
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fuel can, comes in only this dark green-brown color

Water can, comes in sand, black, and (less common) dark green

Even the metal US water/fuel can you have in the left storage rack is really out of date. You can still see them from time to time though. So it isn't totally wrong.

Yeah i'm aware that they are a little old, it's only 60 years give or take . The problem i had was getting hold of modern ones, is there a set out there? If so i guess it will go on the to do list.

Jakob
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The one thing I hate if I have to try to jury-rigged something so that the transmission (en francais, c'est le differentiel je crois)reaches both tracks. Right now, there's about my little finger of empty space. I'll figure out something.

Would this help ?

I guess some styrene rods (sprue trees) would do the trick...

H.P.

Yes, it helps a lot, Thank you
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem i had was getting hold of modern ones, is there a set out there? If so i guess it will go on the to do list.

Several resin sets are now available from Armorscale, Perfect Scale Modellbau, Real Models, ProArt...

HTH

H.P.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The problem i had was getting hold of modern ones, is there a set out there? If so i guess it will go on the to do list.

Several resin sets are now available from Armorscale, Perfect Scale Modellbau, Real Models, ProArt...

HTH

H.P.

Thanks the PSM one looks really good. Will have to order some.

Jakob
 _GOTOTOP