_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Build Log:"Wait for My Command!"Diorama
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hello guys! For this time, I design a topic as a additional reference to my finished work of diorama on "Wait for My Command!" Diorama. Actually, this topic was a build story rather than a build log, because I already post the final result into this site . But, later I think such log will be useful for anyone of you that decide to start how to build a simple diorama especially by using scrap materials, even not at all, in order to be a go-green modeller. I really proud of this .

Ok, not much to be saying, just take a look and do not hesitate to submit your constructive comments, also any questions as long as I able to answer that related to this topic

Best regards

Garry

I bought a simple wooden photo frame which its' size considerately fit into my diorama plan. In 2009, such frame cost at IDR 30.000 or equivalent with US$ 3,30 and FYI, such amount equals for about 2x complete meal in one day at our capital city, Jakarta

A 'surgery' began on the frame by removing its' back cover, standing platform, instruction sheet, and any unneeded materials. Rather than to put them out into trash, I had to keep it for unexpected use in the future

Those pictures shown my action when fill the base with basic cover, replacing its' original standing platform with ex-used carton sheets from mineral water packages. That's what I mean with go-green!
After that, I seal such carton using an adhesive stuff, Bostik (following suggestion from our fellow Indonesian modeller, Mr. Wawan "Der Fuhrer") from local hardware store, so it became more solid for next phase of construction.

Meanwhile, I start to made a rough sketch on a thin carton, again, cut it out, glued it above the Bostik-sealed carton, add any other needed sketches, such as paveway design, and test it with the 1/35 figure simultaneously to made sure that I'm already in the right path in size and condition

The picture shows how I start the construction of the building, which the wall material were designed from ex-used wooden ice cream sticks as its' building blocks. Another step for being go-green!

After that, I designed for the road construction and decided to made them as rectangled-cobblestones. Rather than to manually scribed, I prefer to made them one by one following the foot size of 1/35 scale figure. Once finished, I glued them on the brown-pink surface made from dried modelling clay from DAS (following Armorama's build story of Mr. Pedro Machado's diorama entitled "Retreat in Normandy".
I do such steps, because I still have no adequate scribing tools and I think they may naturally appear in shape following technique adopted from another fellow Indonesian modeller, Mr. Windy Soemara

I will continue write this topic since I have to sleep earlier, if I can , for certain planned business tomorrow. Oh my God, lot of great movies tonight and I have to choose, get sleep or keep my eyes turn on such movies!

Have fun guys!

Cheers,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi guys, after finishing my current business, I remember my promise to continue sharing about this diorama's build story. Just check it out and have fun!

The construction of the pavement began by drawing approximately 1,5cm x 1,5cm square as illustrated above on a ex-used carton sheet from mineral water packages (again! ). Such squares were made as needed in amount to cover the prepared pavement area. When glued, the gaps between squares were filled by epoxy putty.

The pictures above reflect my action when constructing the floor of the building. I have to made the floor just about 3cm higher than the surface of the pavement along with a permanent stairs added in front of building's entry. Such design would affect on an empty space below the building's floor and I filled such space with ex-used sprues, glued them simultaneously, let them dried in several hours, and covered them with another ex-used carton sheet

After that, I continue to raised the building blocks into a form of wall as depicted above.

In order to complete the construction of the wall, I continue it with constructing a doorless building entry in which the height of the entry was measured by 1/35 figure with standing position. After getting the desired size, I began the real construction by using ex-used wooden ice cream sticks into the shape of the entry.

Those picture above depict how I covered the raw wooden sticks with epoxy putty and in the other side, while I ran out of my epoxy putty stocks, I used also the modelling clay to cover it as an alternative beside of the putty with a similar result. For the wall, I decided to shape it as stones rather than bricks. Such decision was just out of my imagination only and some criticsm arrives from our fellow modellers, Sean Malloy and Frank Wetekam, due to the final result. Thank you guys, I will learn a lot

Meanwhile, I set the floor tile as a square also but smaller than the pavement's square, approximately 0,5cm x 0,5cm in size, as inspired from Keith Magee's diorama entitled "Triage at Aachen".

The picture above shows the beginning of basic painting. A mix of burnt umber, burnt sienna, and flat white were used for basic coloring of the stones, while a mix of vermillion and burnt sienna were used for basic coloring of the bricks of the building entry.

Finally, I performed some positioning tests of the GI figures, German troop figures, ruins, and the AT gun (not appear in those photographs). Several trial & errors happened, but finally I got the desired finished result along with its' reimprovements day by day as you can see on "Wait for My Command!" Diorama

Hope this build story will be useful and have fun for all of us!

Cheers

Garry
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 09:20 AM UTC
Garry -

A couple of things - you say:

> "I do such steps, because I still have no adequate scribing tools"

You mention this at about the time you're doing the cobblestones, so I'm guessing it's related to that. For one thing, almost anything (a nail, side of a screwdriver blade, thick wire, etc.) can be a scribing tool. However, here is a technique for cobblestone that I think I saw somewhere on the site:

And another similar tool on a model railway forum:

I would not combine long and short stones, as I think that is very unusual in reality. However, you could make several "dies" for long stones with slightly different contours. I'm guessing that after you use the press tool, you might need a smoothing tool to distribute excess material (DAS?) around the edges of the impression. Your street tiles are flat, looking more like brick. I believe cobblestones are always rounded - on the top side at least. Look at Google Images for example.

From the build photos I see how one of the things that bothered me happened. When you first place the sidewalk squares, they are flat and level. But, after you work them in, they are all warped and no longer on the same plane (level). Also, there is too much curve on the curb-stones, and there should be none between the sections. These two things make the sidewalk very unrealistic, almost like a cartoon.

Charles

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Thank you Charles for your motivating reply and I'm glad to discuss about that. I'm sorry for lack of clear written sentences, so several words or phrases may confusing when explaining posted pictures due to my broken English

I like your first posted picture which suggest the use of old brush with its' hair removed first. Such technique never imagined before and I may try it for the future project. Oh yes, about the phrase 'cobblestone', until now I oftenly confused whether such phrase is allowed or not, to call the street/road that covered by squared/rectangled tiled stones, not only for rounded tiled stones. Since I worry for misinterpretation in the future, so I think it would be better to call them as "rectangled-cobblestones" in my post refer to the street section of this diorama CMIIW

I'm sure that the 'one-by-one' technique not always be better than another technique at all as you said. Since trial & errors always happen, we always try to find the best way for each of us, and that makes our hobby become more fun, right? I will try to perform better in the future project and many thanks for your sharing Charles

Cheers

Garry
Cobra1972
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
Wow!!! Bookmarked

Thank you, very helpful.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow!!! Bookmarked

Thank you, very helpful.

You're welcome Mick, at anytime! Glad to know you, also.

Don't forget also to read additional valuable suggestion from Charles "velotrain" Hansen's post. He open my mindset about how to made cobblestone became so 'real' Hope it will be useful.

Can't wait for your job to be posted here!

Best regards from Indonesia

Garry
 _GOTOTOP