_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Armoured Brigade Models
HUSSAR58
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC

Does anybody know if Armoured Brigade Models are still in existence. Believe they used to do a very nice upgrade / correction kit for the Academy M3 Grant.

many thanks
Phil
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody know if Armoured Brigade Models are still in existence. Believe they used to do a very nice upgrade / correction kit for the Academy M3 Grant.

many thanks
Phil

They are no longer an active company.
HUSSAR58
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 07:00 AM UTC
Oh well.not a good start. Anybody got any other suggestions for a correction / update kit for the Academy M3 Grant

thanks
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh well.not a good start. Anybody got any other suggestions for a correction / update kit for the Academy M3 Grant

thanks

Which part do you want to 'correct'?

Check my thread here for what I've done...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/194558&page=1

HUSSAR58
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 09:34 AM UTC
It`s for a future project - i understand the kit suspension is wrong. There is also the British radio set 19 to correct.

Armour modelling is not new to me - bur haven`t done any seriously for many years.Coming over from aviation

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It`s for a future project - i understand the kit suspension is wrong. There is also the British radio set 19 to correct.

Armour modelling is not new to me - bur haven`t done any seriously for many years.Coming over from aviation

If you do NOT care about the interior...

1) The suspension sprue in the Grant kit is wrong. If you've got the "El Alamein" kit, that has the corrected sprue.

2) Do not install the radio antenna mast on the rear left hull.

3) Add the driver's periscope

4) Add the missing rivets to the sides and rear of the hull

5) There's a bit of work to get the rear plate lined up correctly with the upper hull, and then there's seam lines that aren't there in the real thing.

6) The turret needs some filing to soften the edges, and also needs a more distinctive casting texture.

7) Move the turret left side view port up about 1mm.

8) The kit tracks are too long, and not a common type for an early North Africa Grant, which is what the kit represents.

9) Add the fire extinguisher "T" handles to the rear hull

10) You cannot use the 'counterweight' barrel included with the kit, since it's the wrong length.

11) Scribe a line between the edge of the hull sponson gun casting and the armor plates that make the top of the hull.

12) The 37mm gun rotor has the gun too low. It's centerline should go through the rotor's centerline.

13) The front transmission cover isn't great, and the 'flanges' are 1 piece, which looks overly simplified.

If you care about the interior... well, you've got a lot of work to do.
 _GOTOTOP