_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shallow-relief micro Dios: non-military
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 10:59 AM UTC
I’ve been feeling guilty that I’ve been making comments, but not putting anything of mine up for crit. I don’t have any Armorama-type projects yet, but about a year and a half ago I went to a few meetings of an Artist Trading Card (ATC) Meetup group. It was basically about 20 women and me. Each month they had two “themes”, and you were supposed to design, make and bring four cards of each design in so everyone ended up with a half-dozen cards from other people. Some of the women had real design and craft skills, while a lot of it just seemed like small-scale scrapbooking, with lots of stamps and glitter and various stick-on doo-dads.

An ATC is basically a card that is 2.5” x 3.5”, and can be built up with layers of varied materials, but can’t be too thick since it’s supposed to slip into a sport-card plastic sleeve for protection. Since I was studying sculpture, I decided that I wanted to try some 3D ATC’s. I found a plastic box company that had a box of that exact size and 1” deep. I mostly used model railroad structure bits, but also other materials that I had collected over the years.

This loading dock is 1:48 scale. These images are about 10 times the size of the actual dios, roughly three times longer on each axis.

The next two images are 1:87 scale, and I tried using photo backdrops.

I was trying to create as much depth as I could in 1” of space, and this is my favorite for the visual complexity.

Speaking of visual complexity, this is a salt mine in Wieliczka, Poland, that I’ve always wanted to model. It’s just such an awesome space.

There was an 18th century Roman artist named Piranesi, who did some amazing drawings of imaginary prison-like spaces, that he supposedly saw during deliriums when he had a fever. I would love to model these, but the number and complexity of the components has always intimidated me. I’ve seen armor dios with two levels, but I want more than that.

During his delirium, he was also able to prophesize the Verlinden bridge system:

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 11:08 AM UTC
I won't ask what you are doing, attending an ATC club. But, I will say, regardless of the forum, I love your work. It reminds me of shadow box builds. Deception of perception. I really want to see your attempt at the salt mine or one of the imaginary "prisons".
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 03:49 PM UTC
Thanks, Matt - and I won't tell ;-)

Although I admire the salt mine and the drawings, I've built things in the past from 2D sources and sometimes discovered they didn't have the same impact once built. I am planning to do some larger shadow boxes, and perhaps investigate forced perspective in a deeper box, using multiple scale models. If I try that, I've already found a subject:

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:13 PM UTC
Charles: Nice work. The 1" thick stuff is very effective. Also thanks for your posts on the O gauge RR items. Big fan of Piranesi.

Happy Modeling, -zon
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hi Charles,

that build would be a great challenge.

Lately I saw such a mini dio on a train modeling expo. Superbly done.
The guy worked with two trains, after the first one shortly disappeared behind a house, it was a second one, smaller (and strangly modified to get the perspective feeling) who made the rest of the run.

Isn't your reference picture not showing a Luxembourg village? I think I remember this photo from somewhere.

Claude
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hello Claude –

“that build would be a great challenge” – said the man who knows just what that is ;-)

If I ever attempt it, it would be a 2D background behind the bridge and maybe half of the mill building (roofline). In any case, I’d wait for someone to do the Bofors in 1:6, so I could use the 1:48 bridge. I’ve calculated roughly a 1:8 ratio, using the figures on the bridge. If I had to use a 1:35 Bofors, I was thinking I would build a diminishing-scale bridge (like the 2nd train!) using the photo as a template. Maybe everything but the foreground hill in shallow relief; encased in a box.

On the model train expo - I’d appreciate any photos or info of this dio. It must have been a really looong house – or more likely train #1 went into a tunnel hidden behind the house and train #2 came from a separate tunnel. I’m thinking he used a reed switch or similar for the timing. I’m curious – did anything else happen, or were there “scheduled performances”? It sounds brilliant, but a lot of work just for the one effect.

I once saw a photo of a model of a modular layout at a model train expo, done with “humanized” action figures running Nn3 (1:160 3’ narrow gauge) trains - representing 1:24 scale in 1:6! I know it’s a huge hobby in the Netherlands, and I think I read that you had some related work there recently.

Regarding Luxembourg, I was there in 1990 on a bicycle tour with my girlfriend (of the time). She hadn’t been to Europe, so I had planned a sampler for her: 7 countries in three weeks, with a half-dozen train connections. We arrived from Amsterdam, and spent a pleasant Sunday enjoying the capitol city and the valley below.

The next day we rode through the “Alps of Luxembourg” (AKA Little Switzerland) to Grundhof, wishing we had time to do some hiking in the beautiful, rocky woods we were passing through. I can’t recall if the Mosel bike path extended that far at the time, but we rode along the river and had a picnic lunch in Echternach – I just found an image of the riverside pavilion we used; we had the terrace up the stairs to ourselves, with good views.

I have ~1K slides from the trip, but never scanned them. We stayed in Trier that night, then on to Koblenz, boat up the Rhine to Bingen, and train to Heidelberg - where I was stationed in 1967 - I have a poster from a studenten club advertising a “Happy Hippie Love-in”. Enough OT.

/=/=/=/=/=/=/=/

Regarding the Bofors 40 image, I came across it while looking for any Bailey Bridge photo I could find during my initial infatuation. There was no identification on the site, or I failed to record it if there was. I tried asking on the Axis History Forum (perhaps where it came from), and looked at every image on the BaileyBrug site, but with no luck. Then one day I happened to notice a tiny photo printed on the side edge of the Wespe kit box, shot from the same angle but at river level, labeled as 10 December 1944, Sarriensming, FR. With that info I was able to find the Wespe image online, as well as modern photos with the river and the restored mill, although there is a large modern bridge now. History and photos here:

http://www.150th.com/rivers/sarre.htm

I think I found more text somewhere else, as I seem to recall mention of a spotter in the town for the German artillery. I just found a 6-page Word doc (12/5-12/15 1944) I can send in response to a PM - might need a direct email adress. One photo shows the “short, sharply curving bridge approach” mentioned in the text at the top of the page. It’s a bit confusing, as some images in the middle of the page show Sarreguemines, which is clearly a much larger, more urban town - 2.5 klicks downstream. But then at the bottom it discusses Sarreguemines, while the pictures are clearly of Sarriensming. Some images of Sarreguemines look similar to the Besancon bridge - another interesting but even more difficult diorama candidate, even if you don't include the buildings.

Also near the bottom of the page is a short history of the three bridges at this location, and two photos of an improved Bailey with walkway from after the war. You can see part of a mid-river pier from the earlier bridges on the left edge of the Bofors image. What I don’t know is whether the wooden bridge was taken out by another flood or the Germans; in any case, I think it had to be shortly before the Bailey photos were taken. It looks like very high water, judging by the level at the wheel of the mill. I had been thinking this was the only asymmetrical Bailey that I had ever seen, but photos indicate the downstream side was also doubled after the Bofors photo was taken. Actually, the second photo on the site (click to enlarge), appears to show engineers having a discussion. I had initially taken the three figures on the bridge in the Bofors photo as villagers, but now think they’re the same engineers seen on the 150th site.

The mill as it looks today:

The roller dam and church tower are out of view in the WW2 Bofors photo, but the mill façade is a definite match.

I suspect it was just a casual photo, but with lucky composition. I like the perspectival separation between the foreground and the background. I also like the idea of a wooden bridge supporting a metal one – I think that’s the only such Bailey install I’ve seen.

Äddi, Charles
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:22 PM UTC
Äddi! Where did you looked that one up? Correct it is!

Here are a couple of links regarding the dutch dio with the perspective, it's a mix of english and dutch.

If you want a dutch translation, there are a few of these guys on the forum here.

summary in english

a dia show in dutch

and very nice, unfortunately in dutch, all the details of the perspective work
perspective

The first train disappears behind the big whitish house on the right and continues his way in the middle and far end of the view

Have fun

Claude
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:50 PM UTC
Ola Claude

Thanks for showing that.. I have to say that is one of the most incredibly clever diorama's I have ever seen. The forced perspective is so well done especially considering the diorama is only 30 cm deep. That little tram is also well thought out.
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 01:01 AM UTC
Thanks much for the links Claude.

> "If you want a dutch translation"

I'm generally more interested in English translations ;-)
However, with the web that's as easy as finding Äddi.

I decided I needed to see a video to get the effect, and I had to look at a lot of film from International Modelspoor Expo 2008 before I found it - Veldhoven 1935 starts at 1:10, and I suggest full screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0AR-3fdq0k

I think the article with all the diagrams may be more interesting than the video, but I'm sure a lot of it is being there in person. Thinking about their approach made me realize that using a photo as a modeling template doesn't work, as it has no actual 3D depth - only perceived. However, if you made a transparency and projected it onto an angled screen . . . . Actually, that's no doubt a PhotoShop function. Just shows how retro I am.

I am curious which micro-layout the public selected as the best; I'll have to do more research. Unlike the judges, they obviously don't realize - appreciate all the thought and work that went into it. Possibly, some of the folks on this site feel that way at shows sometimes!

The design, planning and execution are very impressive, and I'm surprised that all of it only took 250-300 hours, but I think the train stays behind the lawyer's house a little bit longer on the return trip - the reappearance isn't quite as instantaneous - continuous as the first trip.

I can't tell which issue of Continental Modeller it was in - if you know? Or, any U.K. members who get it regularly?

Charles
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 02:30 AM UTC
Zon - I'm glad someone knows of Piranesi, and thanks for the kind comments.

Charles
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
Big Piranesi fan here as well. I have 2 books with his amazing etches.. He really was a skilled man.
 _GOTOTOP