_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Greg airbrush help (in UK)
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction. I have a Grex TG3 airbrush, however,following some domestic issues (divorce) I was unable to have access to it and as a result several months later there are problems with it. When I tighten the nozzle cap up it seems to cut all the air supply off and blows it back up into the paint reservoir. I have dunked the fluid nozzle and nozzle cap into cleaner with no change. Does anyone know where I can get my airbrush serviced to try and fix his problem without sending it back to Grex in the USA?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Toby
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
Have you visually checked the nozzle, to make sure it isn't clogged? I had this problem, with my Badger. I soaked it in every cleaning solution I could think of. I finally bent the tip of a pin and reamed it out.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:13 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Yes I've cleaned it out. I even used some thin wire to make sure that there was nothing in the nozzle cap. I'm really stumped as to what the cause is.
Removed by original poster on 02/19/13 - 23:38:13 (GMT).
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Have you checked the o-rings and bushings? These would prone to dry rot.
J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
I had exactly the same problem with my evolution airbrush. I finally got it working when i replaced not the nozzle (9) itself but the piece of metal that keeps it in place (8). My suspicion is that it pushed the nozzle to far in but I really don’t know. I don't know how a grex looks inside so maybe you haven’t got the same problem? maybe you could just replace the nozzle?

Jakob
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:50 AM UTC
Matt,

I've had a look at the O Rings and couldn't see any problems, but will have another look tomorrow.

Jakob,

I actually broke the fluid nozzle a little while ago due to over tightening so I'm happy it's not that, but thanks for the suggestion.

Toby
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 07:31 PM UTC
The reason is that your system is not airtight, so air blows back to the paint cup.
- check the little O-ring on the nozzle;
- check the thin O-ring on the nozzle cover (mixing chamber)

If these are OK, the reason may be:
- nozzle does not fit perfectly into its place, maybe there is some paint or residue in the thread so there is a little air leak near it. Clean the way of the paint (nozzle, nozzle thread, nozzle cover, needle) very thoroughly and see if everything fits perfectly. This should solve the problem.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 09:20 PM UTC
Toby,Is your fluid tip locking nut tight? Is the fluid tip moving backwards when you slide the trigger back? Jeff T.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

I completely stripped the airbrush today and ran a load of cleaner through it. When I put it back together I found out that the problem was that the slider was not running smoothly resulting in it not returning all the way forwards and air being constantly run through the brush rather than stopping once pressure was released off the trigger.

I couldn't see any other problems. I'm going to email grex and see what they can suggest.

Cheers

Toby

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeff,

I completely stripped the airbrush today and ran a load of cleaner through it. When I put it back together I found out that the problem was that the slider was not running smoothly resulting in it not returning all the way forwards and air being constantly run through the brush rather than stopping once pressure was released off the trigger.

I couldn't see any other problems. I'm going to email grex and see what they can suggest.

Cheers

Toby

Now we're getting some where.Sounds like maybe two problems.First,I would make sure that you are getting full travel with your trigger.Make sure the assembly is clean,which you have done,and then see if you can restore full travel.Try some spraygun lube.
After you get the trigger working as it should,make sure it is in the full forward position,loosen your fluid needle locking nut,and slide the needle forward until it is fully seated in the fluid tip,tighten the lock nut and see what happens.Hope this helps.Jeff T.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:11 PM UTC
Well I've now got some airbrush lube on its way to me off EBay. Will have to see how that goes and keep everything crossed. Thanks for all the advice and I'll let you know how I get on.......
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
Toby,in the mean time try this.I noticed this morning that my AB's trigger had some free play in it and was not returning to the full off position.I loosened the fluid needle locking nut and the trigger slid back and I was good to go. Jeff T.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:10 AM UTC
Well after finding where the small piece of metal was that stopped me from pulling the cylinder out managed to take it all apart and soak it for two days (not the o rings) then scrub it thoroughly. A further two days drying out thoroughly before applying lube and reassembling. The result.....my airbrush was as good as new!!!
Thanks to all those who offered their advice and suggestions

Toby
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well after finding where the small piece of metal was that stopped me from pulling the cylinder out managed to take it all apart and soak it for two days (not the o rings) then scrub it thoroughly. A further two days drying out thoroughly before applying lube and reassembling. The result.....my airbrush was as good as new!!!
Thanks to all those who offered their advice and suggestions

Toby

Toby,that's fantastic! Was the metal part you mentioned part of the AB or a mystery piece from who knows where? Jeff T.
toby2282
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi jeff. The piece of metal was a cylindrical piece that controlled the air flow into the airbrush. The problem appeared to be dried paint inside the central part of the brush which after a couple of days in cleaner was scrubbed off and the brush worked perfectly! In fact I'm building the atrocious Revell 1/32 Bf-110C4-B which I'm going to use as a test bed to try out some new techniques.

Toby
 _GOTOTOP