Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard 2A6 Barracuda Camo & Slat Armor
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 11:22 AM UTC
Thank you all for the encouragement, I really appreciate the comments.

I may bend a couple of lower slats as the final details come to a close on the build.

One or two photos clearly show the slats taking a fair battering.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Well I managed to get a couple of hours in the shed and a little further along with the Leo.
Here is where it stands at the end of today.

The right side slats have been added and toned down somewhat.

I decided as previously mentioned to bend a slat so I warped a panel and disconnected the lower rung.

Things are slowly coming together and I am finding that tweaking is a constant neccessity with this build. But hey, all part of the fun eh.

I added a small amount of Vellejo 'Iraqi Sand' to the 'Cuda' weathering today.

The turret rear needs a slight adjustment before I can add the Brass photoetch connectors, not a big job so it can wait til I add the hull rear slats.

Well that all til next weekend and thanks for looking in

Keith.
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 04:28 PM UTC
Keith

Looking good.

Cheers

Anthony
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Keith

Looking good.

Cheers

Anthony

Thank you Anthony....

BUT! without your help and pictures it would have grounded to a halt long ago and may even have ended up in file 13 at some point...

I am apt to do that now and then... It's an age thing see

Keth.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 11:04 AM UTC
We went out to breakfast this morning and after a little shopping I spent a couple of hours sorting out the rear of the Leopard.

I had to remove the slat on the rear of the turret and adjust the end side panels that connect to it.. I mentioned the possibility of having to do this earlier..
The side panels and rear slat are connected by a small Brass photoetched part that resembles a hinge.

Success and it fits.
You can also see the three very small Brass connectors each side of the rear engine slat that goes accross the rear. Again, a little adjusting was required to ensure a correct joint.

There are eight supports to be added to the rear slats but I am not happy with the bulky, poor renditions that come with the kit so I will make my own over the weekend.

Looking a little closer towards the weathering stage now.

Keith.
Anatoli
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 04:09 PM UTC
Keep up the astounding work.
Removed by original poster on 04/13/13 - 05:42:57 (GMT).
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 01:46 AM UTC
Really looking good, Keith!

Hey, that Anthony Sewards is a real stand-up guy. He was also very generous with his help on my StuG IV build, and I see him posting to offer help to other guys quite often.

(I do believe that he has a Canadian Leo reference book coming out soon?)

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this, though, in person. Loved getting the chance to do so at our meeting a few nights back.
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, that Anthony Sewards is a real stand-up guy. He was also very generous with his help on my StuG IV build, and I see him posting to offer help to other guys quite often.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this, though, in person. Loved getting the chance to do so at our meeting a few nights back.

Mike

I am also available for a cold one if ever in the area.........

Just happy to help out, good to see a kit built right.

Cheers

Anthony
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for the offer, Anthony!

I haven't traveled any in the Great White since I retired from the US Army. (When I was stationed in New England, our unit went TDY about every other year or three to CFB Valcatier and points north for "Winter Environmental Training - affectionately known as WET.)

If you're ever down south, I know that Keith and I would be happy to return the favor.

Hopefully our paths will cross one day!

Thanks again for the help with my project.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mike

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for the offer, Anthony!

I haven't traveled any in the Great White since I retired from the US Army. (When I was stationed in New England, our unit went TDY about every other year or three to CFB Valcatier and points north for "Winter Environmental Training - affectionately known as WET.)

If you're ever down south, I know that Keith and I would be happy to return the favor.

Hopefully our paths will cross one day!

Thanks again for the help with my project.

Hey wait a minute Mike, I know we here in the South are well known for our hospitality but THREE beers?

Do you know how expensive that is even if we split the cost!

This project would have been a total disaster without Anthony's help, I am most grateful...

Keith.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey wait a minute Mike, I know we here in the South are well known for our hospitality but THREE beers?

Do you know how expensive that is even if we split the cost!

Keith.

Split the cost?! Who said anything about splitting the cost? I thought you were buying!

Oh darn, now I gotta start saving up to buy Anthony a half-a-beer! That's gonna cut deep into the ol' modeling budget

Mike
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 11:36 AM UTC
Reading and thinking about parting with money for beer made feel quite faint!

So here we are at the end of the day.

The rear slat supports are in place, the lower ones I made and added small bolts to the upper ones.

They (slats) are actually held in place by quick withdrawal pins so I do apologise but the bolts were better than than what came with the kit, (nothing)..

The wing mirrors are in place and folded down.

A touch of clear green was added to the periscopes and the glass block in front of the Commanders position.

Some paint and little weathering on the new joints and supports.

And that's it until next Sunday, after the Atlanta AMPS show.

Keith.
altayugurlu
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 09:08 PM UTC
great job. well done.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC
Morning all.
Although I have no build update I do have a couple of comments.

With the latest in model technology and this being a 'newer' kit I am not entirely happy with the portrayal of the slat armor and the support attachments.
To me and my old eyes and hands, they are overscale when it comes to the slats (heavy) and the supports of the front side sections only a shaky resemblance of the real thing. Certainly not accurate.

The attachment points where the supports meet the long rear 'gate' accross the engine and transmission areas are not even close to reality.
A great deal of scratch building is needed for accuracy.

All of the attachment arms and points on the sides where they meet the slats are overscale or just too large but I did the best with what came in the box.

The only other alternative would be a nice set of Brass photo etched after market ones...... Expensive, probably so but it would certainly be more to scale and accurate.

More and more modern day combat vehicles have this sort of upgraded add on's so c'mon you kit manufacturers lets see some upgrades either in the box or available as a separate addition in a box of its own for purchase.

It the latter case we can then update the older or inital kits sitting on our shelves or buried in our stash!

Keith.
ubisuck
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 255 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm astonished at how large modern MBT's are, and the slat armor and other upgrades make them look even bigger. This one is no exception! I really think the way the forward hull slat armor "bumps" out at the front to match the hull side profile is visually quite interesting.

I was just about to post the same statement as yours. The Leopard turret has to be the biggest or close to be "the biggest" there is right now?

@keith: Great great great job you're doing pal. Did I say you're doing a great job? ;-)

I'm hesitating between doing the HobbyBoss Leopard 2A6M Canadian 1/35. I received my engine last week, all I'm missing is the FN Mag to replace the german machinegun that Canada added/switched. I found a pack of 4 from South Korea (did I need to add South?)

or: Doing my Tunguska or a Trumpeter T62 mod.1972.

But I think the Leopard will win this small race lol.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 10:37 AM UTC
Stunning!!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks Y'all

I am back from the AMPS show in (Hotlanta) Atlanta but nothing further to show on the 'Cuda' Leopard.

I do however confess to purchasing a few Black Dog items in the vendors area.
A couple of Canadian infantrymen to go on my diorama and a modern set of Canadian equipment for the Tank!

Judging by the pictures I have, the Leopards seem to be festooned (I like that word) with gear including the Cooler.... (No doubt a kitchen sink is hiding somewhere)

I also grabbed an update for the Canadian LAV Stryker 3 bringing it up to the LORIT version.....

And finally the Black Dog 'War Pig' and HUMMER conversion pack (one box combo)....

Gonna be a good year in my shed

An amazing level of entries at the show and I am proud to say our chapter captured some great awards...

I entered nothing but gained a whole lot of help from looking at the entries and attending a diorama judging seminar presented by Mike Roof.

Thank's Mike it was amazing and congratulations on your Gold medals...

See Ya Friday.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP