_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Trumpeter M-1129 MCB Pic Heavy
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:50 PM UTC
Hello all. I haven't had a chance to post anything, let alone build anything for a while due to family and work commitments but I have finally being able to get some time in the shed aka Mancave. A couple of weeks ago I got the Trumpeter M-1129 Stryker Mortar Carrier. It is a good kit with a well detailed interior, well enough to use as a base to correct minor errors.

I have found the best way for this build is to not follow the instructions order of sequence. If you follow it step by step, you'll have issues with the interior, lots of guide pins showing etc.

Here are a few pics of my progress so far and some of the modifications that I have to to either correct an inaccurate part or to do a basic mod. Looking for feedback, hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking.

Here is the base that I have done for it. I want to portray the vehical as being current (2011 - 2012) Afghanistan.

I know that the Stryker is supposed to have the Cage armor but I do not have the skill set, not the patience to scratch build it myself.
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 01:28 AM UTC
Looking good, question what are the loop attachments showen in pix #4,6,8-10 called ? I assume they are tie down points ? do they come with the kit or are they after market ? Do you (or anyone else) know if they availible AM Looking forward to updates on progress
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hello John, the Footman loops you are asking about are the fantastic ones from Arms Corps Models that can be found

Here: http://www.armscorpsmodels.com.au/ACM35864.html

They are well cast and easy to remove from the casting block and apply.

Here are some more pics that I didn't have time to upload lastnight. I apologise for the quality as I only had my phone's camera.

youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Armorama: 344 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 06:30 PM UTC
Very nice work my friend. I really like how the base is looking. May I ask what you used for the main base that represent sand? TIA

Mike
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 - 05:38 PM UTC
The sand was done by using the Vallejo texture paint then I misted the shades with Tamiya acrylics. I need to get back out into the shed this weekend to get more done.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, question what are the loop attachments showen in pix #4,6,8-10 called ? I assume they are tie down points ? do they come with the kit or are they after market ? Do you (or anyone else) know if they availible AM Looking forward to updates on progress

Indeed there is not any hollows on plastic tie downs.

There is also the Djiti's Productions set.

http://djiti.production.free.fr/main_menu.html
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC
Tony,
Very nice work. I also have a M1129 MCB that I placed in "hiatus" while waiting for some of Jason's footman loops to arrive. now that I have them, I guess that I need to get things going again. I worked from the inside out starting with the interior first. I have added some wiring but focused on giving the model the "feel" vice duplicating every cable bundle found on the 1:1 example. I ma looking at painting the rear of the mortar mount yellow and adding stripes printed on clear decal film to get the safety markings. Do you have a different plan in mind?

John
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi John, I was planning on doing the interior first to but with all the guide holes for the exterior add ons that go clear thru the hull instead of half way I figured that it would be best to put them on and fill the damn holes first. I have nearly finished the exterior parts, just need to do the Mortar hatch then I can do the interior in one hit. I have made some decals for the BFT screen.

My plan it to finish the interior, close it up and to put the final fragile exterior parts on like the brush guards and then hit it with the exterior color, for which I am, using a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Nato Green and Field Grey.

For the Mortar I was going to use strips of masking tape and carefully drybrush the hazard lines. I have gone through my stash for the red warning placards too.

I have the Djiti footman loops too but I find the Arms Corps easier to work with. I am just not looking forward to doing the straps though. I figure I'll make them up with more masking tape.
 _GOTOTOP