_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Evolution of my dioramas, 1/48 scale
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 03:35 PM UTC
First, there was this: M4A3E8 105mm at the West Wall

And there was this: The Spanish rider obstacle.

And, there was also this: German log roadblock.

Which then became this: Cromwell at the roadblock

But this, was changed to this: JS-2 crashing thorugh the log barrier

The Cromwell was placed on the Spanish rider obstacle diorama, the obstacle was removed and it became this:

In the meantime, the Spanish rider obstacle found a new home on the West Wall diorama. The M4A3E8 105mm was removed and the diorama now looks like this:

The M4A3E8 was moved to the this setting ( for reasons that I won't go into)

... a setting which used to house this Su-122:

The Su-122 cracked and was ruined during an alteration

velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 11:22 PM UTC
I don't get why the Cromwell would drive right up to the logs, when a couple of guys could remove them in little more then a minute. It doesn't look like the JS-2 got any further ;-)
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC
It is part of my "theory" of diorama construction. Movement and action is harder to portray, or looks less than real compared to a static setting, ie, parked vehicles with crew members standing around. A tank positioned up against the logs, with the top one cracking outward, conveys a sense of forward motion. Also, I didn't have figures for it.
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A tank positioned up against the logs, with the top one cracking outward, conveys a sense of forward motion.

Hi Glenn -

Sorry, but for me it conveys stopped motion, and I don't know if the tank actually thought they could break through or what; it actually feels very indecisive. I'd get a couple of figures and position them just getting out to move the logs, with the tank stopped at least a few meters before the logs - which would give you a storyline.

Moving components around isn't quite the same thing as evolution.

I'm new to military modeling, and am still looking at a lot of stuff and trying to educate myself a bit before building something, but what you're making seem more like vignettes.

AMPS Vignette Judging Criteria
==============================

"Vignettes are similar to dioramas and are scored in the same manner. The key difference is that vignettes do NOT have to tell a story. This category is designed and intended for modelers that have expanded out from pure armor modeling to include figures, groundwork and/or scenery, or for figure modelers who wish to set their figure(s) into a landscaped scene. It allows the modeler in this category to have his entire work judged without being put in the diorama category where storyline plays a key role. For example, a tank crew sitting on a tank or a soldier nearby a vehicle adds interest but does not necessarily tell a story. . . . "

To be clear, I think your craftsmanship is there, but you might challenge yourself to take it up a notch. Break out of the box and start creating some less symmetrical, less tightly bounded, and diagonal spaces. I really like the woodwork and the sandbags in the shot with shadows. I see what look like repeating details in the sandbags, but the painting and lighting make them look like they're individually placed. Comparing this to the next photo really emphasizes the benefits of natural lighting. You can believe this or not as you wish - but I'm trying to nudge you a little, not bring you down.

Charles
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 04:26 AM UTC
Charles, you have some good points but i feel your comments are at first a little harsh, and can be very easily misunderstood.
I do not believe that there is a strict line between diorama and vignettes, I like to feel that there is no excuse not to tell some sort of story! i feel that unless someone is cometing the AMPS Criteria really dont apply. make it what you wish, it is your work and yous to enjoy.

i agree that the evolution of the diroamas are little more than component swapping. In a smaller scale such as 1/48, a scale that i am familar with and i enjoy, sometimes it is more intimidating to put the effort in to combine base and model together in one arcing scene story or setting. not to say that little effort has been placed here, Glenn, your builds are great, and your scenery is great too, there is room for improvement of course, but that is applicable anywhere.

my first suggestion is to, on your next build/dio, avoid right angles, they are more aesthetically pleasing to be placed at a slight angle, this goes for groundwork as well as vehicle. keeping everything straight lends to a very boxy look, making it more apparent that it is models we are looking at here.

i hope this helps.
velotrain
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 05:57 AM UTC
> Charles, you have some good points but i feel your comments are at first a little harsh, and can be very easily misunderstood.

James - I well realize that I can come across that way, and think that's why I added the last sentence. A former manager described himself as "opinionated and outspoken", and it certainly resonated with me. I tend to be open and direct, and never learned how to be more politic. Quite possibly related to why I've never married.

I think part of it is that I was sensing a lot of potential in Glenn's work, and wanted to see it really break out. I am often more conscious of what aspects don’t “work” in an entity, than what is done well.

> I do not believe that there is a strict line between diorama and vignettes, I like to feel that there is no excuse not to tell some sort of story! i feel that unless someone is cometing the AMPS Criteria really dont apply. make it what you wish, it is your work and yous to enjoy.

I very much agree with the last bit, but am still trying to comprehend this whole new realm of military modeling. There are still many things that I don't understand, such as why so many dioramas appear to be on undersized bases. I don't know if it's to emphasize the vehicle and make it appear to be relatively larger, or what.

A lot of what I see essentially looks like a vehicle in landscape, while other dioramas are much more complex in multiple aspects. I saw a comment that on one "nothing seemed forced or out of place", while other times it looks like bits and pieces are being added simply because they're available. Perhaps the basic problem is that I'm trying to formulate an integrated concept of this hobby, when it's many things to many people.

I apologize to Glenn as I think I was going through some basic angst concerning the hobby, and/or my concept of it, and unfairly unleashed this in an inappropriate direction.

I'm not sure I had even heard of AMPS until I recently saw a post (that might itself have been old) saying that some large dioramas had been refused entry last year, and the overall best diorama didn't even conform to their own rules, which I just confirmed for myself last night.

I still don't fully understand this story thing, and sent a query to their judging honcho asking about it. I have a decent sense of what they don't consider a story, but don't have a solid grasp on just what it is in their view. In some cases the story was all too clear, and I felt like I was being emotionally manipulated. I had also recently looked at last year's IPMA results, and it seemed to me that they were perhaps more interested in "impact" than "story".

> In a smaller scale such as 1/48, a scale that i am familar with and i enjoy, sometimes it is more intimidating to put the effort in to combine base and model together in one arcing scene story or setting.

I'm not following the connection between scale and effort. I can appreciate that since there is more "volume" to fill in the larger scales, more "connection" is needed and expected.

Sorry if I was out of line and I'll try to exercise more discipline. Thanks for mentioning it James.

Charles
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
Charles, no no, Please don't feel as if i were pained about the situation. just a telling of my opinion as opposed to yours.
don't refrain from future feedback on account of this, people who have the drive to comment and guide other members of the community to making better models are what made me not give up!

With my comment regarding effort,I believe I chose the wrong word, I feel it is more difficult to get everything looking "in scale, and harmonious" or so to speak

Quoted Text

A lot of what I see essentially looks like a vehicle in landscape, while other dioramas are much more complex in multiple aspects. I saw a comment that on one "nothing seemed forced or out of place", while other times it looks like bits and pieces are being added simply because they're available. .

this is a fantastic snippet and something which I wholeheartedly agree with it is hard to strike the balance when you have so much available within easy reach to the everyday modeller.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi guys, interesting discussion and Charles your response to James seems as if it was written by another person, but thank you for posting it as it made what you were saying earlier much clearer. I was, until now, unaware of category distinctions used for judging as I have never been to a model/hobby show nor entered anything for which to be judged. And as for your angst considering the direction of the hobby, I could have written those words myself.

So let me try and explain my motives. When I first got back into the hobby after a 25 year hiatus, I did read up on diorama development, placement of objects etc. But I have also read criticisms of rules and critics in the artistic environment to the point where I decided to reject all the theories as such and come up with my own. I work on a scene (hence the "evolution" aspect) until it satisfies my sense of what the scene is supposed to depict. To that purpose, the base can be large or small, the model can blend in or stick out like a sore thumb. In fact, I rather like the ones where the tank imposes itself on the scenery-much like it happens in reality. The square or boxy look I have in some of my dioramas is my way of rebelling against the "rules" of placement. When I did my Gasthof diorama, I originally had the M10 placed between a wall and the Gasthof. The purpose being to induce the sense of claustrophobia, the out-of-placeness, of the vehicle on a narrow European street. I did the same thing again here:

The scene is supposed to evoke a sense of the cramped conditions the poor crewman has to work under and that, unfortunately for him, the tank wasn't parked just a few more feet forward.

Generally, I keep the story simple. The viewer should be able to figure out the actions which immediately preceeded and the action which will immediately follow the moment captured in the setting. This one, however, is different. The story told by this diorama does flow logically, but is not readily apparent:

I have no idea why the end of the barrel looks so warped in this picture as it is fine when viewing in person)

Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Oh yes and as a follow-up, the sandbags in this scene and the above with the Su-122 are from the Tamiya set. It is important to encourage manufacturers to keep producing accessories in 1/48 and the only way to do that is to purchase them. And since I spent the money, I wanted to use them. They may be a little large and uniform on appearance, but there is satisfaction in painting them. Pastel powders helps mute the plastic aspect of them .
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 11:10 AM UTC
There's no doubt you're a good modeller and can handle groundwork but to me there is something missing from your dios and the square boxy look with the centrally placed vehicle has something to do with it.

Quoted Text

I did read up on diorama development, placement of objects etc. But I have also read criticisms of rules and critics in the artistic environment to the point where I decided to reject all the theories as such and come up with my own.

This is interesting and I'd like to hear more of your theory. I don't fully understand what you're getting at. I understand the desire to challenge the rules of dioramas but in the end the dioramas have to stand on their own.

Quoted Text

I work on a scene (hence the "evolution" aspect) until it satisfies my sense of what the scene is supposed to depict. To that purpose, the base can be large or small, the model can blend in or stick out like a sore thumb. In fact, I rather like the ones where the tank imposes itself on the scenery-much like it happens in reality. The square or boxy look I have in some of my dioramas is my way of rebelling against the "rules" of placement.

If the model sticks out like a sore thumb how does that work- won't the viewer just think it odd. As I said I understand the desire to rebel against the "rules" but that can't be an end in itself. We can't know your intent just by looking at your dio.

Modellers won't see a symmetric dio with a model centrally placed at right angles to the base and say "I see what he's getting at, he's challenging the rules of composition"

I hope this isn't coming across as patronising or insulting because I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had about dioramas.

What do you see as the next step in the evolution of your dios?
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:27 PM UTC
My advice is to try placing a model in such a way that it doesn't fit in and see how it strikes you. A tank in an urban setting, especially a narrow street, is one such example. Conversely, try a tank crossing a wide shallow river, and notice how "lost" it looks. Also, conservation of materials is a consideration and sometimes a square or narrow rectangle is the most economical. Part of my "theory" comes from a study of John Constable's "The Hay Wain".If you look at it, but not closely, you will notice how the clouds gathering in the upper left hand corner conveys a sense of energy. There is something dynamic about it as if there is a gathering stom, yet all the people in the painting are oblivious to it. No living thing is looking towards the storm. The two horses pulling the wain facing its direction are themselves looking down and to the side. And so, I was infuenced by Constable's character's aborbed in their own thought when I did this diorama entitled, "Quiet Contemplation in the South of France":

Later, I added the Shell barrel and the Citroen poster on the wall and neatened up the join between the seated figure's right arm and shoulder:

As you can see, each man is lost in his own world of thought. Each one is focused on something different: The medic ponders the fallen masonry and the crushed staff car; the seated figure comteplates the "what if" , had not some brickwork severed the guidewire of the Goliath; the strolling soldier is momentarily distracted by the Michelin poster on the wall.

After making minor changes to this diorama, I went back and had another look at this one:

And changed it to this:

I replaced the turret with another one and added a metal barrel. I added tank traps and barbed wire to provide a reason the tank is stopped. I removed the Gaz 67b and the crouching figure under fire and, instead, have the crew pausing to look the posters on the poster column. I had intended to add a female traffic control officer talking to them, but have decided I like it the way it is.

kidsbday7
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:17 PM UTC
Hi Glen, for some reason I feel like commenting here. First off your output and rate of production is something to behold.

I am not sure if you are asking for feedback or not so I won't go there too much. I think you T34 one is getting close close to those really eye popping scenes you see on the net etc. I think one thing I have noticed and I am absolutely a beginer here is the basic composition to guide the viewers eyes and where it is obvious where to start and where the scene will take you next. For example I think with the T34 scene I felt like the lamp pole could be moved to the left a little bit and the figure moved from behind to the side to force the viewer where to go first. I am using this just as an example.

One thing I am trying to work on is to force a perspective for the viewer and then set up any figures to guide the eye back and forth as much as possible to keep engagement. I am trying to avoid that you can view it from 360 degrees trap. I am playing with non right angles and poles-objects to provide a frame for initial focus. Does that make sense?

I am not one for this "tells a story" at all cost stuff either. I think providing an atmosphere or sense of a feel is what I strive to achieve. Think telling a story is nice too, but should not be the only end state in mind. Just my opinion though.

Charles I think you input was pretty valuable.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
Phillip, my primary and overarching concern and motive is to promote and popularize 1/48 scale. Dioramas are great way to showcase the wide range of accessories available, not only from AM dedicated to 1/48, but also model railroad accessories and dollhouse furniture suppliers (eg , the bench). 1/48 takes less time to build and as such time can be devoted to dioramas. The lamppost, poster column and bench were glued in place in a fit of zeal and I don't want to risk tearing the latex brick sections upon which they rest trying to re-locate them.

Other ideas I thought and would like to see others do are a Russian factory roof (saves having to do the building and there are great things available from model railroad accessory manufacturers) with Quad Maxim AA gun emplacement and a tank moving down a street as seen from the inside of a building using a Design Preservation Models building front.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:52 PM UTC
Oh yes, this is what became of the Gaz 67:

This is still a WIP, such as adding the windshield to the medic's Gaz. I am considering adding a captured Kurogane and calling this "Tea time in Manchukuo". The samovar came from an online dollhouse furniture store.
SOYDIOS
Visit this Community
Granada, Spain / España
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
... I like these dioramas. Likes Tool these structures.
Congratulations on the work. ... jorge.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 10:07 AM UTC
Jorge, I cannot take credit for the structures. The building in the Quiet comtemplation diorama is from a Quebec company, ProduitsMP. They are hydrocal. They arrive like this:

and I turn them into things like this:

The Shell gas pump is a Minimali product. The scalloped street lamps and posts are a white metal product but I do not recall the manufacturer. I got them from an online model train accessories store.

The roadblock barrier walls in the M4A3E8 at the West Wall diorama are a Steve Faxon creation.

The only buildings I've ever attempted from scratch are this one from 13 years ago:

About ten years after I made this, I added the soldiers from Tamiya's British Infantry set. I was quite surprised to see that the two rifleman fit with the windows quite neatly. I built this thing around the Grandt Line staircase. There are a few other Grandt Line products in the picture as well.

And this one. People do seem to enjoy this barn. I used the Tamiya paper Isba plans they published to coincide with the relaease of their StuG ausf B in 1/48 scale as a template, used basswood strips weathered with a product called "Weather-it", and, when I ran out of wood, finished the roof with scale corrugated tin which is very slippery and hard to paint.

The cart is also handmade, but based on a resin product. I used Tamiya wheels from their sign post set. The hardest part was to paint the plastic wheels to match the dark-stained basswood of the cart's body.

This barn diorama is the future site of this set up:

The hoist and A frame are Crow River Valley O scale products. The engine used parts from the Hauler PE set, Bandai's KV-1 and a HobbyBoss T-34. The transmission is from the Bandai kit. I am going to add Russian mechanics from an ICM set. The Kv-2 has yet to be weathered

gregcctrn
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 29, 2013 - 04:56 PM UTC
Interesting thread to read. I have returned to modeling after a 25 years +/- a few years. I have always been a 1/48 builder. I was sparked to get back into it after stumbling across a few of the Shep Paine diorama sheets that were included with the Monogram 1/48 and 1/35 kits of the 70's. There was a couple of these sheets in a box of old magazines that someone had a "free" sign on at a garage sale. There was the ever famous B-17G "In the Pink" scene, the P-61, and B-25. I was most inspired by the B-17 sheet, as for Christmas 1977 I was given the B-17G kit by Monogram. I could not get the thoughts out of my mind about how much I enjoyed building model kits as a kid, so I figured why fight the thoughts, embrace the thoughts., so here I am back into the swing of things.
I am very impressed with the Produit MP products, and the price can't be beat....

I am looking forward to posting questions and such.....

Cheers,
Greg
 _GOTOTOP