_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Armor turret storage racks
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:59 AM UTC
I wasn't sure how to write the topic title but there you go. I know like most of us, we go to a contest and there's good work on the tables. You see a tank with some gear in those storage racks on the turret,and a tarp draped over part of the gear. Now usually the judges will think maybe he made a mistake or a glue mark is unable to be fixed, when in reality the tarp was suppose to be like that. How does one avoid this problem at contest?
Thank you

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wasn't sure how to write the topic title but there you go. I know like most of us, we go to a contest and there's good work on the tables. You see a tank with some gear in those storage racks on the turret,and a tarp draped over part of the gear. Now usually the judges will think maybe he made a mistake or a glue mark is unable to be fixed, when in reality the tarp was suppose to be like that. How does one avoid this problem at contest?
Thank you

IMO, you can't judge for/against what you can't see. At least within the AMPS system, you should not be marked off for having a tarp somewhere. The benefit of the doubt is given to the competitor.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 02:36 AM UTC
Bottom line:

When questions are possible about any aspect of your display, provide some documentation to the judges that illustrates the accuracy of the presentation or the craftsmanship of the areas in question.

Remember, most judges are focused on basic construction and finishing, so they tend to view the model through those lenses. Areas of the build which are hidden cause them to wonder if there are flaws or mistakes that the builder is trying to hide.

Usually, matters of "accuracy" are adjudicated in the builders favor, but sometimes you don't need a reference book to see that something is just not right. When questions are possible or likely, give the judges some answers.

In my experience, this particular problem is not so much an issue with those stowage schemes that are intuitively correct (like stowage in design purpose boxes and baskets), but random tarps, prayer rugs, and other cloth items that are displayed in places that make no immediate sense do raise questions. Why is that there?

If there is no immediate and intuitive answer (like other trash lying around an abandoned vehicle) or if the placement seems to interfere with the vehicle's operation (like a tarp over engine ventilation louvers or grates), then at the very least you are inviting closer scrutiny which may find others errors or mistakes unrelated to the stowage.

It's like when I was a private in the Army and learning how to properly clean a latrine for inspection. You ALWAYS leave the toilet lids UP. Why? So the inspecting officer doesn't have to bend down over the toilet to lift the lid thereby putting him closer to everything else he might find flaws with.

If you exhibit at shows and contests, you always have to take the human nature of the viewers (which include the judges) into consideration. No matter what the rules say should or should not be judged, everything you place n the table and include in your presentation does influence the viewers in some way.

From the base and ground work, to figures, and stowage, even the way you fill out your entry forms, all of that is part of your total display, and every part of your display has some influence (good or bad; conscious or unconscious) on all of the viewers, judges included.

Stowage that could appear to be placed to hide construction or finishing mistakes should be explained and documented.

My personal .02...
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bottom line:

When questions are possible about any aspect of your display, provide some documentation to the judges that illustrates the accuracy of the presentation or the craftsmanship of the areas in question.

Remember, most judges are focused on basic construction and finishing, so they tend to view the model through those lenses. Areas of the build which are hidden cause them to wonder if there are flaws or mistakes that the builder is trying to hide.

Usually, matters of "accuracy" are adjudicated in the builders favor, but sometimes you don't need a reference book to see that something is just not right. When questions are possible or likely, give the judges some answers.

In my experience, this particular problem is not so much an issue with those stowage schemes that are intuitively correct (like stowage in design purpose boxes and baskets), but random tarps, prayer rugs, and other cloth items that are displayed in places that make no immediate sense do raise questions. Why is that there?

If there is no immediate and intuitive answer (like other trash lying around an abandoned vehicle) or if the placement seems to interfere with the vehicle's operation (like a tarp over engine ventilation louvers or grates), then at the very least you are inviting closer scrutiny which may find others errors or mistakes unrelated to the stowage.

It's like when I was a private in the Army and learning how to properly clean a latrine for inspection. You ALWAYS leave the toilet lids UP. Why? So the inspecting officer doesn't have to bend down over the toilet to lift the lid thereby putting him closer to everything else he might find flaws with.

If you exhibit at shows and contests, you always have to take the human nature of the viewers (which include the judges) into consideration. No matter what the rules say should or should not be judged, everything you place n the table and include in your presentation does influence the viewers in some way.

From the base and ground work, to figures, and stowage, even the way you fill out your entry forms, all of that is part of your total display, and every part of your display has some influence (good or bad; conscious or unconscious) on all of the viewers, judges included.

Stowage that could appear to be placed to hide construction or finishing mistakes should be explained and documented.

My personal .02...

Great advice Sergeant Major... Takinig th eattitude that it ain't right unless you have a picture to document your work is not a bad method.

teh same "attitude" i salmost required for scratchbuilds and major conversions: document your work as judges are used to specific eras and vehicles and migh know know that there is not a commercially made kit of vehicle XX that you scratched or made a major conversion of a kit to represent the subject.

FWIW

JC
 _GOTOTOP