_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
tamiya !35 jagdtiger
trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 06:25 AM UTC
hi all,
just completed this build, well almost i have to put the spare track links on! its is otto carius in his jagdtiger the base was made from sand and pva sprayed multiple times with different shades of brown and i used javis static grass and an 18mm birch tree i had lying around, i really enjoyed the kit it goes together really well!

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:05 AM UTC
overall nice work, I like the paint job on the Jagdtiger,
a few freindly pointer to make your future dioramas more rewarding!

The three main things that jump out to me is the size of the base ( you could reduce this by a lot, there is a lot of empty space..)
also check out the leg of the motorbike rider, there are some seam lines to be scraped away!
lastly, the edge of the base could do with some refining, maybe try an old plain picture frame in future, to keep the edged nice and neat!

nice work in all, i hope my feedback helps you in the future!
Also!! have you used to many lens filters on your camera? I can see the edges?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC
Great work on the jagdtiger.
I agree with James and have one more pointer. German skin tone should be a pale pink, not tan. They don't get much sun. This being said, my grandfather is German by birth. Working outside, for most of his life, in the US tanned a dark, red brown. Something else you may consider adding on, is a license plate for the motorcycle. Right now,it sits there blank. Just noticed that there is a bad seam on the bikers lower left arm and hand.
trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:21 AM UTC
thank u for the reply, i only just noticed the leg of the rider myself i will get this sorted! i have someone making me a frame to go around the edge but he has to fit it in around work lol, will post more when it is 100% finished
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:22 AM UTC
don't take these as harsh criticisms just nudges in the right direction, keep up the good work! James
looking forward to the end result.
trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
not at all its good to get feedback, i normally build ships and this is my second forray into armor so still a noob essentially, still cant believe i miss the bikers leg lol, this was my last ship build http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=147880
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:28 AM UTC
Awesome Ship, I really wanna branch out to Naval, but its pretty expensive stuff!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
One thing to always keep in mind when doing dioramas are how the subjects sit/lay/stand on the base. Obviously a 70 ton tank is going to create quite an impression on any dirt road. If you had created a bit of a depression for your base where the tank rested (and also where it had driven over) this would be a big improvement. That said, good job and thanks for posting this!

Cheers,
Jim
trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:44 AM UTC
i have put some impression marks behind the tank, they're not very deep, the road is fairly dry, i just thought that having such wide tracks that the ground pressure would be minimal,
i drive a 60 tonne excavator as a job and i just went by what that leaves behind on a dry hard surface, i probably should have pushed the grousers in up to the track shoe... all good tips for my next build though!
trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:49 AM UTC
this is a 70 tonne excavator on a sand surface, http://www.vantunen.org/hrd/Volvo%20EC700BL32mHRD.jpg
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hi Leigh –

I like the grouping of figures, but can’t decide if the tank crew is agreeing or dis-agreeing about where they are.

Does the screening over the engine compartment come with the kit? I really like the view looking down on it, but the color is off in that photo.

> an 18mm birch tree i had lying around

If that tree is 18mm high, then the tank must be much smaller than it looks ;-) Is it perhaps 18cm, or is the 18mm something other than the height? I thought perhaps it might be a gaming scale, and a search confirms this, so I trust that is the reference.

Also - you may have different varieties of birch than we do in the US, but here the trunk is mostly white, with dark grey / black markings, and the leaves are much less dense and not so dark.

I tried to find a good site for making birch trees, but no luck. I don’t know how anyone else feels, but it was bad enough getting all those modeling agencies when doing a search for model, but now you find all those 3D rendering sites also!

Charles

trigrodge
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 10:28 PM UTC
i kinda wanted them to look like they were dicussing the best place to ambush the enemy as its near the end of the war the allies were bearing down on germany, the tree is indeed 18cm not mm lol, its just pushed into the base so i can easily take it out, thank u for the photos, the grills do come with the kit and i think i didnt have the lighting quite right so the colour looks off,
regards
leigh
 _GOTOTOP