Tamiya Stugs
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 08:42 PM UTC
Hey folks,

Have been without a pc since before xmas so now I've cobbled something workable together, I'm playing catchup on a few favourite forums.

I've finished a bit of 48th stuff over that period and here are a couple, 2 Stugs built mostly OOB for wargaming. The few extras used include Blackdog stowage, aerials from wire, MGs from the Tammy PzGrn set and a bit of polyfiller for the additional "concrete".

Brush painted as usual with GW acrylics over an enamel primer and dusted with both MIG and homemade pigments. And yes I know one of the track runs has too much "sag". I didnt have time to fix it before shipping to their first game, a Bolt Action tournament in Aussie.

cheers
Brent

Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:07 PM UTC
Damn.. those are some pretty Stuggies!

Are the tracks one-piece, metal or glued plastic links?

DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Damn.. those are some pretty Stuggies!
Are the tracks one-piece, metal or glued plastic links?

Thnx matey ... and the tracks are plastic link and length. Pretty easy to assemble with a little care.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:38 PM UTC
Some tremendous work there - I particularly like the stowage. What is it? Your own or Black Dog's?
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some tremendous work there - I particularly like the stowage. What is it? Your own or Black Dog's?

Thanks JIm!

The stowage is one Blackdog set (T48023), divided between the two vehicles. Took a fair bit of grinding with the dremel to get the big piece to fit down snugly over the armoured engine covers but it looks much better than just sitting on top.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi brent,congratulations on two very nice Stugs,best Ive seen for a long time. stowage is very good does the rack come with the kits? I have built a few 1/48th kits but Im at a loss to see how you got that sagging on those tracks love to know your secret.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
very impressive work,I really like your streaking and your tracks
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC
Good overall visual appeal. They look sleek. For some reason, I particularly like the look of the bolted on applique armour.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good overall visual appeal. They look sleek. For some reason, I particularly like the look of the bolted on applique armour.

Thnx Glenn, I've always liked the extra armour too, right from a John Batchelor pic in the old Purnell Weapons and Warfare series I collected as a kid.

Quoted Text

Hi brent,congratulations on two very nice Stugs,best Ive seen for a long time. stowage is very good does the rack come with the kits? I have built a few 1/48th kits but Im at a loss to see how you got that sagging on those tracks love to know your secret.

Hi John. As mentioned the stowage is from Blackdog and the large piece on the engine deck is one piece, see the wip photo below.

As for the track sag its pretty easy (even though I overdid it a bit) on the link and length tracks. The Tamiya tracks already have a slight sag set into them. All I do is bend more around where that set in sag is. I've attached a pic of an older Stug which shows the Tamiya tracks as they come supplied. Also included another pic showing how I set the sag into DS or vinyl tracks ....

panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC
Awesome job overall, I really like the way you got the track sag, I'll have to give it a shot.

-Conor
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 09:55 AM UTC
Those are very nicely done, despite the track sag issue! Looking like 1/48 is the new 1/35. How are GW acrylics to work with? Do they go on well, with a regular brush?
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 06:21 PM UTC
I thought this was the old link at first. They look great. The stowage is very well done, especially that wicker basket!
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 06:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought this was the old link at first. They look great. The stowage is very well done, especially that wicker basket!

Thnx Greg!

Nope, these are the finished products in the wip pic from my other Stug posting. My pc died over xmas and I couldn't post these guys when I finished them, got a few other 48 things finished over xmas to post as well .....

Brent
 _GOTOTOP