_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
A quiet afternoon -1942
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi everyone!
After a long hiatus in posting my works, I decided to share my last completed diorama.
Despite its many artistic licences, and many many errors, I had lots of fun building it.
The base and the building (based on a generic building from the region of Rouen) are completely scratchbuilt with plasticard, cardboard, balsa wood, wall spackle, and wire.
The wall lamp, the traffic sign,the iron fence and the shop furniture are scratchbuilt as well.
The figures are from ICM, Masterbox and Dragon, with some conversion and improvements.
The pidgeon is made out of two components epoxi.
The car is the, in my taste, not so good Tamiya kit, as it lack of details, and has that horrible gap in the rear mudguards.
Hope you enjoy the pictures.
As always, your feedback will be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 10:00 AM UTC
Excellent diorama, amigo. I love the bird in the nest, the facades, the bottom of the one officer's boots as he talks with the soldier and the weathering to the buildings is terrific. I was thinking that a member of the Resistance could be crouched in the corner behind the metal fence and the shop owner facing the door might be holding a captured Luger - just for drama's sake.
Nice painting and attention to detail. Too many nice features to mention here. Bravo!
Ironmike
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent diorama, amigo. I love the bird in the nest, the facades, the bottom of the one officer's boots as he talks with the soldier and the weathering to the buildings is terrific. I was thinking that a member of the Resistance could be crouched in the corner behind the metal fence and the shop owner facing the door might be holding a captured Luger - just for drama's sake.
Nice painting and attention to detail. Too many nice features to mention here. Bravo!
Ironmike

Thanks a lot, my friend. That was my first idea, however I chose a relaxed situation, as a change of pace in my dioramas.
Thanks for looking!
Cheers
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi.

Very good work with nice details as the shop interior

pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi.

Very good work with nice details as the shop interior

Thanks, mate!

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:07 AM UTC
Pablo,

Wow! This is one fine scene! The pigeon; the bulb in the light fixtures; the flowers; curtains; these really set it off. That decorative floor -- how did you do that? Do you have in-progress photos? If not, would you consider making a short (or long) feature demonstrating it?

Impressive work!
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC
Pablo,
Very,very nice.I love it all.Great scene,painting and nice detail on the figures.

Tom
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pablo,

Wow! This is one fine scene! The pigeon; the bulb in the light fixtures; the flowers; curtains; these really set it off. That decorative floor -- how did you do that? Do you have in-progress photos? If not, would you consider making a short (or long) feature demonstrating it?

Impressive work!

Thanks a lot for your comments, Frederick. Sadly I only have some pics of the Ctiroen interior, not enough for a feature.
Regarding the floor, is it made of balsa wood strips cut indidually, then stained with wood renewer, two layers of Future, and one layer of satin finish.

Cheers.
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pablo,
Very,very nice.I love it all.Great scene,painting and nice detail on the figures.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I really appreciatte it.
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 04:21 PM UTC
Terrific diorama. If it wasn't for the Germans walking around, I'd almost say it was sweet!

What did you use for the cobblestone? Store bought or technique? It's difficult to do good cityscapes but you've pulled it off nicely. Love the bird's nest.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 08:33 PM UTC
I think that this dio is very well done.
How often do we see a complete scratchbuild scene at all?

As far as I see you did not forget anything, really , a great effort!

Some more weathering on different spots (the chimney's top, side wall, sidewalk under the rainpipe!, for example) would be nice.
The hinges on the door and the paravent are a bit minimalistic (repaint them darker so they will not stick out so well) and I would like the cobblesstones more defined, but overall, as you say, it was a first for some time and you had fun, so, thumbs up!

Claude
nico37
Visit this Community
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi Pablo,

what a awesome work ! Congrats ! i really like all the little details and the scratch builts ere fantastics ;

The dio really looks like a 40's french street; and the weathering is top .

Just the top of the chimney would has deserved a little more of weathering .

nico
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terrific diorama. If it wasn't for the Germans walking around, I'd almost say it was sweet!

What did you use for the cobblestone? Store bought or technique? It's difficult to do good cityscapes but you've pulled it off nicely. Love the bird's nest.

Thanks Raul. The cobblestones were made from thick cardboard bricks, then I filled the gaps with wall spackle. I painted them with acrylics and some chalk dust was later added.
Cheers!
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that this dio is very well done.
How often do we see a complete scratchbuild scene at all?

As far as I see you did not forget anything, really , a great effort!

Some more weathering on different spots (the chimney's top, side wall, sidewalk under the rainpipe!, for example) would be nice.
The hinges on the door and the paravent are a bit minimalistic (repaint them darker so they will not stick out so well) and I would like the cobblesstones more defined, but overall, as you say, it was a first for some time and you had fun, so, thumbs up!

Claude

Claude, your input is always appreciated. Yeah, I think you are right about the hinges, they should have some more weathering on them, maybe I will try some oils on them. And regardgin the chimney and white parts of the buildings, they have some brown water stains on them, they are kind of light since I didn't want to go overboard with it.
Thanks for watching!
Cheers!
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pablo,

what a awesome work ! Congrats ! i really like all the little details and the scratch builts ere fantastics ;

nico

Thanks Nicolas. As I replied to Claude, it is hard to notice in the pictures (I am really a rookie in what taking pictures of my works concerns), but they were weathered with some light layers of burnt sienna and earth brown.
Maybe I should have done them darker, yet I restrained myself since I didn't want to exagerate the effect. The white plastic spackle I use tends to absorve paints and olis too much and is very hard to disimulate the mistakes on it.
Thanks for your input!!
Cheers
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Pablo,

nico

Thanks Nicolas. As I replied to Claude, it is hard to notice in the pictures (I am really a rookie in what taking pictures of my works concerns), but they were weathered with some light layers of burnt sienna and earth brown.
Maybe I should have done them darker, yet I restrained myself since I didn't want to exagerate the effect. The white plastic spackle I use tends to absorve paints and olis too much and is very hard to disimulate the mistakes on it.
Thanks for your input!!
Cheers

Sorry for the mistakes absorve = absorb / olis = oils.
Cheers
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 03:07 AM UTC
Nice concept here and really a lot of work!!! Most has already been said so I can only add my admiration. I really love the scratchbuilt building!! I like making these as well!
J
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice concept here and really a lot of work!!! Most has already been said so I can only add my admiration. I really love the scratchbuilt building!! I like making these as well!
J

Hi there Jerry.
Thanks for your comments. Looking forward to see one of your buildings! I find scratchbuilding them as fascinating as building the model or the figures.
Cheers!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

J

Hi there Jerry.
Thanks for your comments. Looking forward to see one of your buildings! I find scratchbuilding them as fascinating as building the model or the figures.
Cheers!

Yes,me too. I am building a small town from central europe during the 40s but if you change the figures it could almost be timeless. You can see it on this forum. I bumped it up to the front to make it easier on you.
Nice dio you have and nice to see the civilians.
J
olivato
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Argentina
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 03:31 AM UTC
Wow Pablo, how I missed this beatiful diorama!!!
I don´t have too much to say that has already been said, only I enjoy every picture you posted.
The details are fabulous.
A master piece of work, my friend!!!
My sincere congratulations for this outstanding diorama!!!
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Pablo, how I missed this beatiful diorama!!!
I don´t have too much to say that has already been said, only I enjoy every picture you posted.
The details are fabulous.
A master piece of work, my friend!!!
My sincere congratulations for this outstanding diorama!!!

Gracias Víctor!
I don't know about if that is a master piece, but I certainly had fun at building it, so I guess it fullfilled its purpose.
By the way, I really liked your current Irak apartment building project, that is a master piece and a inspiration for us all.
Nuevamente gracias por tus conceptos!

Saludos
Pablo
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 09:17 AM UTC
Very nice work Pablo, very very thorough build. Glad you provided so many detailed photos from the start, normally someone has to ask for those.
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work Pablo, very very thorough build. Glad you provided so many detailed photos from the start, normally someone has to ask for those.

Christopher, glad you like it. Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers, mate!
emiliano
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 07:53 AM UTC
Que gran trabajo Pablo me encanto!!!! nada que envidiar a los modelistas de USA o Europa.

te mando un abrazo
paratrooper
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 995 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
Great diorama!
 _GOTOTOP