help on M48 markings/decals
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am researching the possibilities to do a M48 Vietnam decal set.
I’ve done that before and my conclusion was that it’s very hard to find decent reference on this subject. So I’m trying another way:

If anyone has pictures, drawings or whatever reference on (US in Vietnam) M48 markings and art work and would like to see a decalset on this matter; please let me know and I’ll try my best. I think the old Tamiya kit (and who knows the future AFV Club) deserves an aftermarket set.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Mark Meuleman
MecModels
www.facebook.com/#!/MecModels
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 05:54 AM UTC
Hi Mark

Maybe you'll find something interesting in Jerzy Krzemiński's Picasa album

H.P.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 06:08 AM UTC
In addition to what I have sent you already, I am working on getting more pictures from the personal collection of a friend. I'll let you know what I come up with

Nice site Frenchy!
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC
my thoughts may not go well with some and probably be a complete surprise to others, but at least hear me out.(plus I'll also tell you why along the way)

* The use of the M48a3 and M48a2 is greatly over hyped in general. But if you are seriously on to it then look around here.

1. The 5th Mechanized Infantry is a largely over looked unit that did a lot seriously dirty work up by the DMZ. Plus they used a little bit of everything up there.

2. Marine units in I-Corps had M48's as well

3. in late 1968 that 1st/1st Armored Cav traded in their beloved 48's for Sheridans. The idea was to get a deeper range of combat area that the 48 could not venture into. Didn't help much as the much lighter in weight Sheridan had it's own set of problems. But in I-Corps this would be where I'd start as they have a huge combat record, and cover4d a lot of ground and operations.

4. Moving further south one only needs to be looking at 3/4 Cav stuff. Plenty colorfull and they used lots of 48's. The 69th Armor is another good one I might add in here. Look in the old Monogram box for a hint

5. Further south one needs to be looking at the 1/4 Cav, and be thinking about rubber plantations. These 4th Cav units have all been into Cambodia, and there is lots of artwork to pick from.

* can't remember all the unit numbers, but we almost always think of Marines and Tet, but that was a rather centeralized A.O. Rarely do we ever get to see much about the armor used in Saigon in Tet of 68. There was a lot of it, and it covered a huge area all the way out An Loc and points further north. This is where I do my start with the 1/4 Cav and some other mechanized units that were called into the place (3/4 Cav was). Find a copy of Dwight Birdwell's book "Hundred Miles Of Bad Road." That'll get you started.
gary
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 10:29 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

I knew I could count on you!
I have a few vehicles that I will try and do the markings of. But I'm always looking for more and others; can't have too much references!

thanks again
Mark
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys,

I knew I could count on you!
I have a few vehicles that I will try and do the markings of. But I'm always looking for more and others; can't have too much references!

thanks again
Mark

I did a couple op's with Marine unites a little north of Chu Lai back in 1968, but really never paid a lot of attention to their markings. Just colors mainly. Some were Marine forest green and a very few were actually O.D. I was really new at the time, and was just trying to stay in one piece.

I kinda hope that sometime down the road you plan on doing Sheridans and Acav's. There are a gazillion Acav's to choose from, and half the Sheridans had somekind of artwork on them
gary
Mark
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Gary,

I believe you had plenty of other things on your mind besides vehicle artwork

Btw we have a M113 decal set:

and both various vehicles sets contain M113 art work as well.

and a M551 sheet:

best regards,
Mark
jstar1
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
Be sure to include Dwight Johnsons B11 from the 1/69. That's the tank he won the MOH on. Not colorful, but still.....
http://www.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/armor/armor-magazine/armor-mag.1997.mj/3vietnam97.pdf

And you could do Apostle,too.For memories sake... I was part of the infantry platoon providing security that night/morning.

School trained Tanker, OJT infantry.
 _GOTOTOP