_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
SNOW----HOW?!?
K-Tama
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 08:16 PM UTC
One of the many things that I have yet to experience is to make a SNOW diorama.
I'm planning on making a snow diorama but the thing is..... I have no clue how to make SNOW!! Help anyone????
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 08:19 PM UTC
I've heard that artificial sweetener works well. But, I have yet to use it and no idea how to get it to stick.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 08:54 PM UTC
Do Not use food items like artificial sweetener, flour, baking soda, etc. These will eventually either be eaten by bugs or will yellow. The best product I have found is Woodlands Scenic Snow. It is made out of microballoons of styrene. You can find it in the train section of hobby shops. Simply apply a glue to the area (pump hairspray works well) and sprinkle the snow on. You can also mix it with acrylic paint to make slush or dirty snow. To make thicker, wet snow, mix it with thinned PVA glue (Elmer's School Glue). It is a great product.

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:15 PM UTC
Yeah I'm not a big fan of food items on your diorama's as well. For the reasons Gino already stated.
I have used talcum powder on my very first snow diorama but that turns kinda grey after a while. Best snow stuff I have ever used was ordinary sandblasting sand. It will remain white and it actually sparkles like fresh snow does. Pretty neat stuff and it is cheap. Chances are if you have a sandblaster near you you could get it for free. A small amount goes a long way.
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:33 PM UTC
what about plaster of paris? is it a good option?
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hello Kaimana,

you should look for Microballons. These can be found from several Brands in hardware stores. These are originaly intended to be mixed with putty to add volume and to get a lightweight putty. These are pretty the same as the modelling snow offered from various manufacturers and most likely cheaper and coming in larger quantities.

http://www.hp-textiles.com/shop/images/product_images/original_images/hp-mb2_shop_269_0.jpg

You can see that these are pretty fine and completely white. It is also possible to mix these with plaster, paint, putty or else to get additional effects. I would also definitely avoid using food stuff.

Good luck.

Dennis
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:55 PM UTC
I use a mix of PVA glue, water, gloss varnish end baking soda.
It's quiet realistic and the varnish prevents it from becoming yellow (or surely eaten... )

I've also tried True Earth snow and think it looks more like plaster than like snow, but maybe (surely?) I didn't use it the right way.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:59 PM UTC
Here's a topic I started a few years back with similar questions, maybe some of the info there can help.

Cheers!
Stefan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 12:57 AM UTC
If you can find a copy, this book is one of the best i've ever seen:

http://armorama.com/review/3754

Not just snow, everything related to ice and frozen mud as well...
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do Not use food items like artificial sweetener, flour, baking soda, etc. These will eventually either be eaten by bugs or will yellow. The best product I have found is Woodlands Scenic Snow. It is made out of microballoons of styrene. You can find it in the train section of hobby shops. Simply apply a glue to the area (pump hairspray works well) and sprinkle the snow on. You can also mix it with acrylic paint to make slush or dirty snow. To make thicker, wet snow, mix it with thinned PVA glue (Elmer's School Glue). It is a great product.

Baking soda is not 'food.' It's a rock. It won't yellow or be eaten.

...but I would agree no food items.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 02:52 AM UTC
As already stated there are a lot of options for snow. If you are planning deep or drifted snow I would recommend using plaster to make the basic groundwork and any drifts,etc. You only need the realistic snow effect on the very surface.
J
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 02:58 AM UTC
I would second the recommendation for that "Frozen hell" book. Also, microballoons mixed with RR Snow works pretty well. I am experimenting right now with Tamiya's texture paint for snow and I have to say it looks impressive. Kinda expensive even if you paint it over plaster. I've also heard good things about Deluxe Materials' "Scenic Snow" but haven't tried any yet.

Matt
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:07 AM UTC
Baking Soda does yellow over time and is attacked by bugs/bacteria and as such I would always say stick with materials designed for that purpose in this case.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Artificial sweetener does not attract bugs.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Baking Soda does yellow over time and is attacked by bugs/bacteria and as such I would always say stick with materials designed for that purpose in this case.

From a geological and chemical standpoint baking boda is a stable salt. It is sodium bicarbonate, a rock. It does not change color over time. Think of table salt, Sodium cloride. Any change in color is due to anything added to the baking powder like the PVA glue is combined with when used as 'snow.'
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

From a geological and chemical standpoint baking boda is a stable salt. It is sodium bicarbonate, a rock. It does not change color over time. Think of table salt, Sodium cloride. Any change in color is due to anything added to the baking powder like the PVA glue is combined with when used as 'snow.'

yes, he is right....
however unless you are applying the baking soda to a clean, unpainted surface, and dont use any glue....it WILL yellow and change.
Also BS will flake off and absorb its surroundings. Remember that it absorbs odors? it will still do that on your diorama, and eventully look like crap. Mixing it with future, glue, etc helps, but even then it tends to discolor in the long haul.

I will second using micro-balloons or woodland scenics snow. Mix with Future/clear gloss, etc for various effects.

Andy
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:44 AM UTC

yes, he is right....
however unless you are applying the baking soda to a clean, unpainted surface, and dont use any glue....it WILL yellow and change.
Also BS will flake off and absorb its surroundings. Remember that it absorbs odors? it will still do that on your diorama, and eventully look like crap. Mixing it with future, glue, etc helps, but even then it tends to discolor in the long haul.

I will second using micro-balloons or woodland scenics snow. Mix with Future/clear gloss, etc for various effects.

Andy
[/quote]That would be the best method.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hello, Im to lazy to read the all postings.
I used "plaster" (in german "Gips") for my snowed landscape.

You only have to pour it with "feeling" and also you can use some (few!) water, to get a thickened surface. (spray the water)
Perhaps it helps.

greetings...
Soeren
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
Maybe I've just been lucky,but I've always used baking soda and it's never yellowed and never seen a bug.

Tom

photo models2023.jpg
geogeezer
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
You might try the spray-on snow used to frost Christmas trees etc during the holidays. You can move it around a little with a paint brush before it sets up, and it makes a nice top coat over plaster and similar base materials. One can lasts a long time, but is hard to find except at Christmas.

Cheers,
Dick
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 05:37 AM UTC
I've used the water/baking soda/white glue mix with excellent results, and after about 3 - 4 yrs. no yellowing and no bugs! It's the cheapest method with readily available household products with the most realistic results. Although for really deep snow I would use styrofoam or insulating sheet for the depth and shapes, covered with Celluclay, and the snow mix brushed on.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 05:42 AM UTC
Since we're on the question of snow, and I don't mean to hijack this thread (my apologies), I've a question myself...

What about spraying glue on TOP of the snow after it is sprinkled on? Would the water mat the snow down to look like slush, or should I NOT spray on glue and water once the snow is sprinkled on? If no glue on top, then how is it going to not blow away?

I have some Games Workshop snow that I'd like to try one day.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 05:52 AM UTC
That depends on the 'snow' product you are using. If you're using anything sprinkly on the surface, then spraying it with anything will just blow it all off. If you've put down glue and sprinkled snow on top then there should be no need to add more glue on top (unless you want to add extra layers for depth), and that might just discolor your snow anyway.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 10:05 AM UTC
I've never done it,but I hear hair spray can be used.I would use a pump bottle and not arosal as it,like Biggles says,will probably just blow a lot off.

Tom
IVANDRAGOMILOV
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 12:14 PM UTC
Micro balloons is good stuff. A cheaper source might be your local fiberglass supplier as it is used as a thickener for resins. I bought a gallon pail for $11 years ago and have enough enough to last about a 100 years.

One thing though. This stuff has some unusual qualities. One, it flows like water. Two, it is incredibly fine grained and Three, you don't want to breath it under any circumstances. Dust mask is a must when you use it.

_GOTOTOP