_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shanghai Dragon M1A1 HA #3531
stef29
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 06:29 AM UTC
I'm starting to research for a future build of an M1A1 3ID 2003. I've researched the tons of info here and elsewhere regarding the said Dragon kit 3531. Seems it's universally despised but I picked it up for $10 and I thought it would be great as a basis for pushing my scratch building skills. My question to the group is this: is there a concise list of changes I need to make to this kit to a: improve accuracy and b: reproduce a 3ID M1A1HC. I have the excellent article here by Olivier Carneau,but that builds a USMC version. From what I've read the military attempted to make the Marine/Army versions identical, but I am trying to get verification so if anyone here can answer that would be a big help. Second, can anyone suggest reference pictures that are good enough for detailed external improvements, sufficient for scratch building? Thanks in advance. And yes, the kit seems very dated which makes it a great candidate for scratch. I guess.
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
A great place to get reference photos is www.primeportal.net. They have photos of all kinds of hehicles with lots of walk arounds and close-ups. Have fun!!~!
stef29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
Wow, and that lead to the missing links tweaks as well. Thanks, this is the perfect start!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Bill,
thanks for your comment about my article if you can put your hands on the missing linx tweak list I think you'll have all what is needed to start your project.

Please share your progress with us when you are ready to go!

Olivier
stef29
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 09:14 AM UTC
Oliver, great thanks for the encouragement and I will post the work in progress once I get started. There's a scratch-build 101 tutorial in the works for May (I am hoping) because my current scratch skills are measure by eyeball, hack, glue and file until looks "ok"

Your build of the Dragon kit is superb. I note you have your own site and will be visiting.

Happy modeling!
 _GOTOTOP