_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Scratchbuild flag help
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi, for my next dio am planning to put up a flag on a building hanging from the roof. I took out a color print out of the flag that I want to put and dipped it in a mixture of white glue and water so that I can give it some shape but it turned out to be a disaster the printer colors washed away and it tore at various places...is there any way to rectify this...am thinking of painting the flag with oil paints and then dip it in white glue and water? what do u suggest
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
Archer make some rub-on flag decals. They can be rubbed onto lead foil 'material' and realistically draped into various shapes.
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 04:04 AM UTC
yeah I know but I dont have access to that in my country and if I have to order then it's eBay and it's costly so thought will scratchbuild them
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 04:59 AM UTC
Let the inks dry thouroughly. Apply a coat of decal saver or spray on some clear laquer over the inks. Apply a light coat of thinned white glue to the back of the flag. Assuming you'll see both sides of the flag, set it up so you can fold it along the hoist side. Carefully fold it over and set your furls. Allow the glue to dry.
Before doing this, you'll need to decide if you want the flag tied to the pole, on a lanyard or slid onto the pole. If tied oron a lanyard, you'll need to add the ties/hardware after the glue has set. If it's to be slid over the pole, you'll need to have the pole in place before folding the flag.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 08:49 AM UTC
For a long time now I've used a piece of tin foil and glued the flag to both sides.Having the glue only on side prevents the ink side from running and the foil lets you shape it how ever you like.

Tom
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 08:26 PM UTC
thanks Tom...am gonna use the kitchen aluminium foil...should do the trick!
 _GOTOTOP