_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Build Log:"Let Them Go!"Diorama
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hello guys! For this time, I design a topic to accomodate my current project entitled "Let Them Go!". The diorama will represent 3 US paratroopers that encountered a small group of retreated German troops. One of the German guy was wounded and evacuated by the other Germans using a cart ride by an old civilian. From their hidden position, the leader of the US paratroopers decides to let them away considering the humanity aspect.

Such photographs below show the current progress of it. Also, I'm not yet draw the diorama rough sketch, but the idea already prepared out of my imagination Just take a look and do not hesitate to post your questions and constructive comments or critics

Best regards

Garry

The US Paratroopers.

The Horses.

The Cart.

The German Troops.

lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
Garry. Good start this looks like it will be a nice diorama. I think the third paratroopers arm is a little bit long ! Also they could benefit from a little shading. Keep up the good work ! J
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Garry. Good start this looks like it will be a nice diorama. I think the third paratroopers arm is a little bit long ! Also they could benefit from a little shading. Keep up the good work ! J

Thank you James, I will evaluate his arm soon. Hope that will be easy to fix later and still many things to do! I hope it will be nice diorama also as you said. Have a fun modelling time, James!

Best regards from Indonesia

Garry
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 01:15 PM UTC
I like the originality, but U.S. paratroopers are a rough bunch. I couldn't see them letting enemy soldiers go, despite the humanity. Perhaps, to remain covert.
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the originality, but U.S. paratroopers are a rough bunch. I couldn't see them letting enemy soldiers go, despite the humanity. Perhaps, to remain covert.

Without a doubt.
The job is simple. Kill as many of the enemy as possible and destroy as much of his stuff as possible in as short time as possible while prevent him from doing the same to you.
If you walked away alive it was because killing you at that time would have interfered with the above.

.... but I still love the dio idea. Can't wait to see more.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 05:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you so much Matt, since I still have a lot of detail works that should be performed, the US paratroopers are still rough and I also hope that they will become smooth ASAP

Oops sorry... You may not see what I mean since I'm not yet post the wounded German figure. According to the diorama's idea, such German troop was evacuated by using a cart. When looking over him unintentionally, the leader of US paratroopers (the one who clench his left hand) order his team to hold immediately, quickly analyze the situation, and decide to do so. I will post such German figure and the old civilian ASAP.

Can't wait for your reply if there was any ideas or suggestions to improve the diorama's scene

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... but I still love the dio idea. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you for your appreciation Robert! I will post the progress ASAP. Have a nice modelling time!

Best regards

Garry
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 07:09 PM UTC
I'm not sure you understand. US paratroopers would not let the enemy slip by. As Robert said, "simply kill as many of the enemy as possible". The only hesitation would be on how to go about killing.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure you understand. US paratroopers would not let the enemy slip by. As Robert said, "simply kill as many of the enemy as possible". The only hesitation would be on how to go about killing.

I'm sorry for, probably, my misunderstanding for about what you mean. Maybe it will be better for me to create a post that contains picture of the wounded German troops and the old civilian to show you what actually the diorama idea along with the sketch. I will post it soon. Thank you Matt

Cheers

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hello all! After took a long break, I'm back with a concept layout of this diorama. For the beginning, I like it already and I just think that it's suitable to represent lot of bunches of idea storming my mind

The figures, the horses, the base, and any other represented diorama components still subject for major reconstructions and improvements. Any constructive critics and comments are welcome.

Thanks all!

Best regards from Indonesia,

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 - 10:56 PM UTC
Hello fellow modellers! I'm so sorry because I already broke my word to create a build log in this topic since my classic reason was available: when the mood storming my mind and hand, I have no chance instantly to take any photos in every building steps

But don't worry, I like to share about it's current progress and I just think that it was still suitable to represent lot of bunches of idea storming my mind. The general concept, approximately 30% finished, was shown as follows:

Hope you enjoy it and any constructive comments also critics are very welcome!

Regards from Indonesia,

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 07:00 PM UTC

Hi Garry,

you keep us entertained and busy..!! You just keep posting!!!

Allow me one suggestion: change the cart "colour" from brown to grey. Believe me, I grew up with those carts, and not a single one was nice and brown.
Wood ages quickly and that shows!

Cheers m8!

Romain
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

you keep us entertained and busy..!! You just keep posting!!!

Allow me one suggestion: change the cart "colour" from brown to grey. Believe me, I grew up with those carts, and not a single one was nice and brown.
Wood ages quickly and that shows!

Cheers m8!

Romain

O yeah, Thank you Romain! Honestly, I feel somewhat unsatisfied about the cart's overall color (I still assume that was the basic color) and need some suggestions: I believe that your suggestion was the excellent input for this project!

I will try it and I also think that your reason was in line with the depiction of the cart on its' box art: somewhat grey.. Since I have no natural experience for living in the village, generally, and/or other places experienced with village accessories. Many thanks again mate!

Kind regards

Garry
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi Garry,

you are most welcome my friend! After all, that's what these for a are about, isn't it!

Check the following link for examples. Not all of them are useful, but some..!! There are even a few "nice polished brownies" in the mix, but those are preserved on purpose (for museum display or else to transport tourists)

http://www.google.at/search?q=leiterwagen&hl=de&rlz=1T4GGNI_deAT498AT498&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4oAEUtedN8SVtAaUxYHoCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=967&bih=565

Keep up the good work and the posting m8!!

Cheers

Romain

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 09:32 PM UTC
The paratroopers would not let a German squad pass them by. This would go against their doctrine and cause them to devalue their purpose.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 11:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The paratroopers would not let a German squad pass them by. This would go against their doctrine and cause them to devalue their purpose.

Even if they're with a wounded comrade?
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2013 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,

you are most welcome my friend! After all, that's what these for a are about, isn't it!

Check the following link for examples. Not all of them are useful, but some..!! There are even a few "nice polished brownies" in the mix, but those are preserved on purpose (for museum display or else to transport tourists)

http://www.google.at/search?q=leiterwagen&hl=de&rlz=1T4GGNI_deAT498AT498&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4oAEUtedN8SVtAaUxYHoCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=967&bih=565

Keep up the good work and the posting m8!!

Cheers

Romain

Hello Romain, I'll check for your great resources immediately, I believe that'll become a valuable input, many thanks!

Cheers

Garry
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Even if they're with a wounded comrade?

They would probably shoot them, too.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...They would probably shoot them, too.

From now on, I just know that there were no humanity considered among them. This project may be modified without the presence of US paras as I shown on my earlier posting in this topic. But if not, in order to keep the dramatic moment, I may still keep the US paras in their position. Let me consider it for some moments

Thanks Matt

Garry
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hi Garry

I would go with your original concept, which includes using the Paratroopers.

I see nothing wrong it the concept of your diorama, as there could have been a very good reason for "Letting them go".

Don't feel pressured by the opinion of repetitive posts by individuals because you don't wish to change it to what they say.

Looks a good little scene so far. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

regards.

Alan
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, August 09, 2013 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi
Interesting idea & the build up so far is very good. The painting looks a lot better in the later pictures. I agree with the wagon needs to be a little greyer in colour.
As for the US Para's shooting anyone in there way. Yes probably right as long as they weren't out numbered & out Gunned. No point getting your own men killed.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry

I would go with your original concept, which includes using the Paratroopers.

I see nothing wrong it the concept of your diorama, as there could have been a very good reason for "Letting them go".

Don't feel pressured by the opinion of repetitive posts by individuals because you don't wish to change it to what they say.

Looks a good little scene so far. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

regards.

Alan

Nice to know you, Alan Also many thanks for your comments which act as a support and motivation to keep my idea remains unchanged.

Since I realize that I currently stand at newbie level, especially for research performed before building a diorama, of course lot of references will be needed. I just try to accomodate any ideas or comments as many as possible disregarding the individuals, even a likelihood of being pressured and insecure occur by myself for some time

Can't wait for your other kind opinion after my next postings. Thanks again for the input, keep on modelling, and I will turn to 'action' immediately

Garry
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi
Interesting idea & the build up so far is very good. The painting looks a lot better in the later pictures. I agree with the wagon needs to be a little greyer in colour.
As for the US Para's shooting anyone in there way. Yes probably right as long as they weren't out numbered & out Gunned. No point getting your own men killed.

It's glad to know you, Shaun and my many thanks to you that support my idea to remain unchanged with common logical reason. As I already share with Alan, I just try to be objective, disregarding the type of individuals. Of course, the cart/wagon will be retouched immediately, but some details should be finished at all before I return to post my progress (grass, foliage, additional figures, etc.)

Also can't wait for your future kind comments and have a nice modelling time mate!

Garry
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hi Garry,
Actually, any situation you have in mind can be made in a model.
Finally, it all comes from a plastic sprue and your imagination.
To my opinion, pleasure and leasure should be the intention of your hobby. Unless you are working according strict historical lines. In that case, you should carefully duplicate situations and combat team, whatever their size and time frame.
In your case, I asume, you wanted to represent a situation where a para trooper team runs into some Germans with a cart, carrying a wounded fellow soldier. Fantastic! you show the situation, in your imagination, there might be hundreds of not visible back up forces!
As someone before stated: it is your model, your work, your imagination.

Technically, you should listen to the TECHNICAL suggestions. The soldier in the back of the cart should have contact to the wagon floor, one of the German's helmets is a bit far forward on the head. Just little things, which you will learn by just modelling frequently.

I like your model. I like your enthousiasm.
Keep on posting it and don't worry too much about battle field situations.
Unless you start creating battle fields filled with ancient Romans and Napoleonic Currassiers!! ( but even if you did, it's your choise.)

Thanks for showing us.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Garry,
Actually, any situation you have in mind can be made in a model.
Finally, it all comes from a plastic sprue and your imagination.
To my opinion, pleasure and leasure should be the intention of your hobby. Unless you are working according strict historical lines. In that case, you should carefully duplicate situations and combat team, whatever their size and time frame.
In your case, I asume, you wanted to represent a situation where a para trooper team runs into some Germans with a cart, carrying a wounded fellow soldier. Fantastic! you show the situation, in your imagination, there might be hundreds of not visible back up forces!
As someone before stated: it is your model, your work, your imagination.

Technically, you should listen to the TECHNICAL suggestions. The soldier in the back of the cart should have contact to the wagon floor, one of the German's helmets is a bit far forward on the head. Just little things, which you will learn by just modelling frequently.

I like your model. I like your enthousiasm.
Keep on posting it and don't worry too much about battle field situations.
Unless you start creating battle fields filled with ancient Romans and Napoleonic Currassiers!! ( but even if you did, it's your choise.)

Thanks for showing us.

You're welcome and glad to know you Paul! Also thanks for your support and motivation as similar as said by Alan and Shaun. I will learn a lot, learn much better, especially for future projects that will need more accurate historical value

Also can't wait any longer for your another kind comments related to this project. Many thanks again mate!

Garry
 _GOTOTOP