_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
T-34 in a River
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi everyone this is my first post to the Armorama forums. I had this diorama half finished fora while and I decided to finish it. The T-34 is from Maquette.
I knew I was going to have a hatch open so I scratch built an interior, but unfortunately I lost the pictures I had taken of it before I closed the tank up.
I built the tank OOB and painted it with Tamiya JA green. The water is enviro-tex. I am working on a tree to put next to the stone wall. I am gluing on the leaves one-by-one which will take a while but I think it will be worth it in the end. I plan on putting some German or Russian infantry men walking on the road looking at the knocked out T-34. Thanks for looking and please leave a comment!

spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 07:00 PM UTC
nice scene but food for thought press the tank into the ground cover overall very nice dio
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:06 PM UTC
The tree is looking very nice. What did you use for grass? It doesn't appear to be static grass. How was the Maquette kit?
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC
Ryan,

It looks great, but I would add a little variation of colour to the wall.

Well done!

Paul
QUAX_MAXIMUS
Visit this Community
El Salvador
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 04:38 PM UTC
very nice work. what did you use for the water effect?...
keep up the good work.!!!!!!
wildsgt
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:32 AM UTC
OUTSTANDING
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 08:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind comments everyone!
I tried to push the tank into the base as much as I could and unfortunately the left side track doesn't sit under water very much. The grass is just woodland scenics static grass. I can add some more color variation to the wall and the water is enviro-tex with scene-a-rama water effects on the top to make the surface uneven.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC
What color did you use to paint the T-34?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 08:53 AM UTC
Jon, it was JA green, as mentioned in post #1
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:19 PM UTC
Hi Ryan, nice to know you! Congratulations for your finished job, really love the overall great presentation! Only few words that may shared from me:

1. The rust effect on water pipe.
I really love the rust effect applied on the water pipe! Since I never perform work of rust painting on any diorama accessories before, I believe that your post can be a valuable lesson for me Oh yes, also for the water flow, it was nicely created. Just a quick suggestion, if possible, you may add some an improvement by applying a little clear paint on the edge of the water flow to illustrate a wet effect.

2. The water in the river.
The overall water in the river was nicely created. You may add an effect of water that rippled when it's movement meet with any major materials possibly exist in the edge of the river (stone river, grass, etc.) and somewhat resist the movement of the water. I mean that such resistance will affect the water to be appear somewhat rippled. CMMIW

3. The tree.
I agree with what Matt says about it. How nice it is! I'm not so curious when you said that you applied them one by one since I do similar technique when I perform work on my cobblestones. Need so lllooooooongg time I really appreciate every touch of yours to make the leaves as natural as possible.

4. The stones.
I agree with Paul says about it. An addition of color variety on them will enrich the appearance quality of the stones.

5. Your idea of putting of walking figures.
Since your idea to make the hatch opened was unintentionally cancelled due to missing photo references, I think it will be better to add several skulked German troops toward the tank to illustrate that they're ready to siege for any will-escaped T-34's crews at anytime when the hatch opened. Once again, just an idea sharing from me

6. The ammo crates.
The ammo crates carried by the tank were a little bit stark. Just tone it down with a little dark brown and applied some dust effect, but not too much, on them. A simple example from me as follows:

I'm sure that the work in picture above was not perfect also, but just a little sharing and you can make your ammo crates better than mine as presented above

Sorry for my broken English and can't wait for your progress update, especially for the will be installed tree. Once again, good job already!

Best regards from Indonesia

Garry
r101stairborne
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 09:44 AM UTC
Thanks for taking the time to reply Garry. I will darken up those ammo boxes a little bit so they don't stick out as much and I still need to add some variation to the wall.

A little update with the figures. I had this in mind but I'm not sure if I want to have the Russian prisoners with the Germans or just some German infantry men walking by. Here is what I had in mind:

Here is what I was going to do originally

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for taking the time to reply Garry. I will darken up those ammo boxes a little bit so they don't stick out as much and I still need to add some variation to the wall.

A little update with the figures. I had this in mind but I'm not sure if I want to have the Russian prisoners with the Germans or just some German infantry men walking by. Here is what I had in mind...

Here is what I was going to do originally...

You're welcome.

Through my observation, the physical presentation of such two available alternatives were very nice, but somewhat not sure for the first proposed idea, since a little bit unconsistent when the diorama want to tell about the tank's failure (maybe along with the its escaped crews), but the proposed idea shows several Russian captives from the frontline guarded by the German troops.

I prefer with your second proposed one, look more suitable for me with a German infantryman riding a horse, stop for few moments, and inspects such Russian tank. I think he was an officer, equivalent with a rank of Leutnant. So, if this condition agreed, you may place an additional infantryman with walking pose to the tank and the others with skulked pose to inspect the tank from the opposite side. Furthermore, the diorama able to illustrate that they're ready to ambush the willing-to-escape crews!

Nice tree installment, also. I'm sorry for my broken English and I hope no misunderstanding about what I suggest to your diorama

Keep up the excellent work, Ryan!

Cheers

Garry
 _GOTOTOP