_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
W.I.P. on some Vietnam LRRP / SASR Figures
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:12 PM UTC
Hi at all,

i am working now again on these Figures after some time on the waitung line. The Figure with jungle hat will be cross or sitting on an overthrown tree or palm trunk. Next step is to add the bottom part of the tropical shirt with Green Stuff. I had already made it with some Magic sculpt but was not pleased with it. Green Stuff works better for me. Also i have to fill and detailing the part around the waist a bit. The second one will climb up a little hill like on the Photo below. Also a third Figure (not shown) is on work which will be his comrade who helps him up. The other Figures will looking around for the enemy and cover the team. Tere will be around 6 Figures i think. Always much to do.

Here are the Photos from last step a couple of month ago:

any comments and critic are welcome

greetings

Stefan
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi Stephan , looking good , always great to see some Vietnam figures .

Following your work

maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Stefan
Like the work you are doing with your figures!!.What figures did you use for your conversions?.I tried Green stuff mixed with some Magic sculp and it works rather well on figure work.Watching with interest.
Cheers from Richard
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Brian and Richard,

thanks for your nice words. I am more a slow modeler but i will try to hurry up this time ;-). Now the crazy conversion explanation:
The first Figure is a combination from Evolutions Figure set Nr.35035 and Bravo-6 set 35009.

The second one is a comination also of Bravo-6 Nr.35035 and old Jaguar Figure set JAG-63136 "Knock, Knock" Vietnam.

The third one is a combiantion from Hobby Fan HF-502 and second Figure from Evolution set Nr.35035.

The last Figure shown is a combination of Bravo-6 35020 Australian SAS "Saddling up" Vietnam and Hobby Fan HF-539

It was hard work to cutt off the body parts i needed with a fine razor saw not to "destroy" to much, so i can use the other parts too for other Projects.
I know it seems crazy to cut Resin Figures but for me it is worth it. So i can made completly new ones in top Qualitiy and the different parts fit very well for my own surprise. Because i have not so great sculpting talent to make my own Figures i have myself "specialized" in converting Figures .

I have some more conversions at the workbench but it takes some time to realize these Figures.

Stefan
maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi Stefan.
Nice to hear from you.I do conversions for my figures as well.Ive got a couple of the Bravo 6 Australian sasr figures and they are quality figures from a talented sculptor.I can remodel figures but sculpting is a no no for me.I have been doing a few 1/16th scale figures and have started to convert an old Kirin u.s 101 airborne/vietnam to aussie sas but im not that happy with it so will de more to it.
Good to hear from you from Richard
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hello Stefan,

Those conversions look quite good. What did you use for the web belts. It looks like it might be brass photo etch from the photos. If so, what manufacturer?

I remember the figure in the last photo from a while back during one of our discussions about conversions. I like what you have done incorporating the Evolution figures with the Bravo 6 and Hobby Fan torsos. I was wondering how this project was coming along. I am glad to see that you are making some really good progress.

There is nothing crazy about cutting up resin figures for conversions when the results come out well like yours do.

I've been working on a bunch of conversions and some scratchbuilt figures while I have been here in Afghanistan when I've had a couple of hours here and there. When I get back in a few months, I will be building a fairly large diorama depicting a US Infantry platoon fighting through a VC/NVA ambush.

It was good seeing your conversions and it has been motivating as well. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
James
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hi Stefan,

Great work so far and indeed; the different parts seem to fit nicely!
I think the Australian involvement in Vietnam is still a too often neglected (modeling) subject.

Keep this nice work up and us posted please!

Best regards,
Mark
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi James,

nice to hear from you and thanks for your kind words. I am a big fan of your work i have seen here and at Modellerīs Alliance. Your very early work at your old site HardCorps Hobbys gives me the punch to try out converting Resin Figures some years ago. Your conversion work is absolute great. Hopefully you will come back fine from the Desert.
What you are planning sounds really great and canīt wait to see the first WIP pictures of it.

The web belts are photo etch ones from Royal Model #461 U.S. Infantry Accessories set and from old Techstar #TC1036 Allied Straps, Slings PE set. Royal Models ones are perfect in Detail and you get seven web belts and also the rest of the set is very useful. Also the price is nice too.

Hi Mark too and also thanks for your kind words.
The fit is really perfect like it was designed for that ;-).The Australians and their SAS parts are much overlooked and nearly no manufacture (only Bravo-6)produces Figures.I am more planning and converting Figures for U.S. LRRP and RAR Infantry and Australian SASR. Mostly i convert the great Bravo-6 ones for that and the new comming Figure sets are awsome. So i am very happy CallSign Models bring out more and more Australians. Your website has great stuff Mark and i have put an eye on some of your items ;-).

I will keep you guys up to date

Greetings

Stefan
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 12:39 AM UTC
Hi Stephan ,

heres a link a friend gave me a while ago on Aussie SAS

http://images.google.com.au/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1T4SUNC_enAU368AU368&tbs=isch:1&q=australian+sas+vietnam+patrol+photos&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=18

I've some images from museums here in Aussie , from a tour I did a couple years ago .

Best of luck with this.

joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
Like you guys I have absolutely no skill whatsoever in sculpting my own figures but I do love converting them!

Here are some Bravo 6 figures with varying degrees of conversion (although not as much as your great figures) that I knocked up recently.
Hope you like...

I'll deinitely be following this thread. Keep up the good work mate!

Joe.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
Sorry, a little bit bigger:

Joe.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
Very very nice conversion work here. You don't get to see enough Viet Nam subjects here.
J
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi brian,

very nice link. The most photos i have but some SASR Photos are new to me. Many thanks for that.I have found this link:
SAS Borneo+Malayia

Veryn nice Photos too and some great Videos.

Hi Joe,

great Figure Conversions. The right Figure is the one from the U.S. Sniper team set, isnīt it? Very nice Conversion.

Hi Jerry,

you are absolut right, but as you see we are working on more Vietnam subjects .

Greetings

Stefan
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 05:10 AM UTC
Stefan,

Thanks, I can't wait to get out of here. The only good thing about this particular tour is that I brought my sculpting kit with me along with some figures to work on.

I can't post any of the WIP pictures on here due to bandwidth. I was surprised that I was able to view the photos in this thread as I am unable to see most pictures on this site (all I get is red "x"s)

Send me a message with your email address and I'll email you some pictures of the figures I have done over here.

Joe,
Those conversions look great. You did a good job with them. I like the D-Ring carabiners that you have put on the H-Harnesses.

Jerry,
You're right. There isn't enough Vietnam stuff on any of the modeling sites. However, there have been more than there used to be. The Vietnam build campain that was on Armorama and the two Charlie Don't Surf builds on Miniature Alliance has helped the genre. Once I get back from Afghanistan, there will be alot of my stuff on this site.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cheers,
James
 _GOTOTOP