_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-62 tracks
Psycho2112
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hello, I'm a new and confessedly rather inexperienced modeler hoping to get started in the modeling world. I've done Games Workshop related materiel before, but this is much more complicated. I have chosen my first true model kit to be the T-62 produced by Trumpeter. It's the model 1972 with applique armor. The box calls it BDD. I have noticed that the tracks are individual. Pardon my extreme ignorance, but.... am I supposed to glue them together? Or pin the tracks to each other? I know I know, it's a really dumb question, I just don't want to screw it up.
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hello
Yes the tracks that are in the box need to be glue each other to each other. Use liquid glue and work by 7/8 links.
The time the glue isn't dry (it leaves you a few minutes)you can turn the tracks around the sprockets for example.

The tracks that don't need glue and are clickable are call "workable" when they are plastic or resin material.

Trumpeter has a set of T72 /T62 late workable tracks.

But if it's your first tank, maybee you could go with what is in the box.
Hope this help a little.
Stephane
dmiles
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 12:32 AM UTC
G’Day Carson,

I have been modelling for a lot of years and I like an easy life. I find that metal individual tracks are the best as they usually require little clean up and to assemble you insert a wire, cut to length and super glue it. The other advantages are the weight of the metal gives the tracks a natural sag, and they are not as fragile as plastic or resin. Frankly I hate working with plastic and especially resin tracks. I would recommend Spade Ace Models T-54/T-55/T-62 SAT-35007 $27.18 US of A dollars from Hobby easy link attached
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/cgi-bin/i8_user_page.cgi?a=advance_search_result&page_size=10&page_number=1&keyword=SAT-35007&category_code=all

I think that these would be better than the kit track which is time consuming and fiddley.

Good modelling

David
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G’Day Carson,

I have been modelling for a lot of years and I like an easy life. I find that metal individual tracks are the best as they usually require little clean up and to assemble you insert a wire, cut to length and super glue it. The other advantages are the weight of the metal gives the tracks a natural sag, and they are not as fragile as plastic or resin. Frankly I hate working with plastic and especially resin tracks. I would recommend Spade Ace Models T-54/T-55/T-62 SAT-35007 $27.18 US of A dollars from Hobby easy link attached
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/cgi-bin/i8_user_page.cgi?a=advance_search_result&page_size=10&page_number=1&keyword=SAT-35007&category_code=all

I think that these would be better than the kit track which is time consuming and fiddley.

Good modelling

David

Welcome to the wonderful world of plastic modeling (espacially the treadhead section)
I echo this sentiment but will add that the metal track adds the realism of the weighted sag that is typical of russian tanks!!
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 01:02 AM UTC
i agree the metal tracks are the suppior way to go however they are xpensive you can use the trumpeter workable track i have some ordered and when they arrive i will write a review on them but as for the tracks in the box it depends on how you plan on painting them as to how you assemble them if you are painting everything at once put the tracks together wait a few minutes then install them if you have panted model and are intalling the tracks well then assemble about half the length of track per side then install on the front or rear half of wheels let dry then remove and paint then reinstall after that you will probably want metal tracks lol hope this helps you out
Psycho2112
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 - 10:17 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for the welcoming advice. I'm considering the metal treads, I will update sometime Sunday, as I am very busy the rest of today and tomorrow.
 _GOTOTOP