Late Tiger 1
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hey guys,

Recently I "refound" some lost pics on one of my drives and as I'm planning another late Tiger project soon I re-edited these old pics as some inspiration.

It's the late Tiger from Skybow (now AFV Club), built OOB with only an aerial and mg belt added and finished by brush painting with acrylics as normal. It's currently being driven around a wargaming table somewhere in Southern England And there's a few bigger pics on my blog ......

cheers
Brent

All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 09:12 PM UTC
Wooooww, The beast look so fierce and ready to destroy anything! Congratulations Sir, an outstanding "refound"!

Cheers

Garry
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC
Excellent Tiger. Remind me again how you do that camo. To get the feathered/blended edges?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 02:14 AM UTC
That Skybow/AFV Tiger is realy the best one. Too bad they didn't produce other kits as promised!
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC
Thanks gents .......

Quoted Text

Excellent Tiger. Remind me again how you do that camo. To get the feathered/blended edges?

Hey Greg. The base/prime coat is brushed enamel, Humbrol83, which is my fav match in enamels for dunkelgelb. Although you could equally use Tamiya Dark Yellow as the next step is a deep drybrushing with GW acrylic - Desert Yellow (almost a perfect match for Humbrol83), lightened up with Bleached Bone (off-white) for the edge highlighting and centres of large panels/ flat areas.

The camo is stippled on and I start by adding the base colour (Desert Yellow) to the selected green, Catachan Green in this case for the first pass. The next pass gets less yellow added or is neat green. Then it's blended back by drybrushing the camo again with Desert Yellow/Bone.

After that it gets an oily steel drybrush, pin washes for the panel lines and a post shade before chipping, rain weathering, decals and pigment. Sounds a lot but it's pretty straightforward.

Cutting the camo colour with thr base colour first and lightly drybrushing/blending it again after the camo stage is the key to the feathered edge. There's a few better pics on the blog (houseofqueeg.wordpress) and give me a shout if you'd like more. I did a full SBS on this once and have all the wip pics.

GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That Skybow/AFV Tiger is realy the best one. Too bad they didn't produce other kits as promised!

The hull and hull details do look better on the Skybow, but the Tamiya turret is way, way better... Skybow didn't undercut the turret's chin enough, and this can be spotted from ten feet easily...:

Mind you, both mantlets are slightly off dimensionally due to both the turrets being 1 inch short vertically, but the Tamiya mantlet minimize the appearance of problems by staying in proportion, while the Skybow mantlet is on the contrary overly tall and wide, which makes the problems look worse.

The Skybow turret is also 1 mm wider for a similar length, and that looks wrong as well...

Another issue is that the Skybow front plate oversteps the deck by a huge amount (more than triple actual), because the side drawings don't match the front view: This enormous step simply does not exist on the real tank:

Tamiya handled this better by undersizing the lower front hull plate, bringing all the other front plates down, but the Skybow hull's deck can be raised to reduce the overstep (if this is done by deepening correctly the upper hull side plates at their lower sponsoons joints in the process, not an easy task)... From the box the Tamiya hull looks better in this front deck area, but the Skybow hull can be corrected and is much better detailed.

By keeping full skirts on, the Tamiya upper side hull plates can be made to look deeper simply by lowering the side skirts (1 mm front, 2 mm back), while the spare track in front somewhat hides the shallow lower front hull plate... The better tracks are another big point in favour of the Tamiya: Note that they will fit the Skybow running gear perfectly!...

Gaston
 _GOTOTOP