_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Totenkopf grenadier, Poland 1944
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 12:57 PM UTC
Well my surgery put "Sense of Urgency" on hold for the next couple weeks or so. So for now, I've got this little scene to occupy my time:

That's the basis for this little project. I might build a Zis-3 kit I've had since Christmas instead of the T-34, but we'll see. Anyways, this is where I am:

So now I've got some smoothing out to do. Might buy a Hornet headset to get the right face for him, but we'll see.

-Conor
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 01:49 AM UTC
Nice start dude. If this is in Poland,late war,then you should loose the gas cape attached to the gas mask canister. Those are rarely seen late war and by that time a lot of the vets were using the gas mask canister to put bottles of wine,etc in.
J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice start dude. If this is in Poland,late war,then you should loose the gas cape attached to the gas mask canister. Those are rarely seen late war and by that time a lot of the vets were using the gas mask canister to put bottles of wine,etc in.
J

Point taken.

Switched to a different arm, but ended up using that crappy crumbly Tamiya filler. I'll smooth it out though

Rifle is on it's way...

And yes, I was an xacto knife victim yesterday. His head is about halfway done, just some touching up left. And I gotta fix those zombie eyes.

-Conor
pzturm
Visit this Community
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
Nice start. I think this will turn out great.
I was thinking of "building the picture" myself when I am at the cottage in the easter holiday and my interlocking tower is on hold. At least start on some figures.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thanks Clemens. Building the picture is fun, but it does limit you as well (if you want to be %100 exact).

As of now I've painted the tunic and the trousers.

Found a pretty nasty bit on the pants though, this needs to be fixed:

But I decided that the tunic was much too shiny. So I found the paint I thought I used, and used that instead:

The shine in that picture is only because the paint was still wet. I'm a bit annoyed though. At least from that angle, the arm looks too long. Don't know If I'm going to tear it off and trim it, but that's a decision to make sooner rather than later.

Until next time, dudes.

-Conor
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hey Conor, the figure is really coming along, your filler issues really need addressing mate, one i can recommend that is thin-able by water is vallejo plastic putty, you can fill the gap needed, and then brush it lightly to smooth it. i picked mine up for £1.99, so you may be able to find some for around $4-5? at a rough guess. its easier to clean up than tamiya and squadron ( which i avoid for figures, as clean up is veeery important)
your milliput work aint too bad and seems to be padded in all the right places. but it needs a little sanding, for this i recommend 800 grit sandpaper, you can pick up sheets of these ate hardware, or jack of all trade stores.

hope this helps, and keep up the good work.

J
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 02:58 PM UTC
Much appreciated James, I'm going to a show tomorrow so there should be some Vallejo putty there somewhere.

I've actually torn off the left arm. After looking it over, it just looked weird to me. So I'll get that fixed and the other things. Started the Zis-2 from Miniart the other day. Real mess of a kit, no numbering on the sprues, just have to keep going back and forth between it and where they're listed on the instructions. Not to mention all the flash on it. But that's neither here nor there, I'll figure something out.

-Conor
 _GOTOTOP