_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Centurion Extra fuel tank (rear)
onelung421
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 02:00 AM UTC
I am building a model of a Cent for a mate, and he tells me that his old Mk5 or 6 Cent the one with the fixed floor, (fixed as in, when the turret was rotated the loader had to walk round with it if he was actually doing his job, cheese and jam sandwich making) had an extra fuel tank strapped on the rear , being a Conq man I had enough problems of my own to worry about trivial things like that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank's Onelung421
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
Sounds like your mate crewed an LR (long range) version. The parts for that fuel tank are available from Acc Arm or on the Aussie version I think. I may have even kept them from a recent build - I'll check for you.

Cheers,
Dutchy

EDIT - scratch that, I don't have the bits. But this is what you need: http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=36&product=607
onelung421
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks Dutchy, I could have done with you having the extra bits, how to I tell Jack Woodward his cent has gone up by £25.00. Oh well, thanks anyway my black denimed friend
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
See my email too Jim. I think the parts may be there anyway depending on which kit you got.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 03:26 AM UTC
Which kit are you planning to use for the build?

The AFV Club NATO Centurion Mk.5/1-Mk.6 has the 100 gallon fuel tank included as extra parts left over from the Mk.5/1 Aussie parts.

No extra costs incurred!

If you build the Cent with the external fuel tank it becomes a Mk.5/1LR or a Mk.6LR.

onelung421
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
Thanks Jason,
As I said, not being a Cent man It never mattered to me. If your callsign is anything to go by, you're obviously not a Cent man, shame as I'm still not sure which is which with the non rotating floor. But as there is no add ons which allows you to see the inside all full and looking like the killing machine it was.
Thanks for your info. I notice you are in Alberta, Oh happy times, Calgary and Edmondchuck, in my murky past. Have a Labatts blue for me.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 11:37 AM UTC
Stick a couple of Tankies in the top and he'll never know Jim. (Make one of 'em with a parkha and call him Colin to p*** Heppers off while you're at it.)
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jason,
As I said, not being a Cent man It never mattered to me. If your callsign is anything to go by, you're obviously not a Cent man, shame as I'm still not sure which is which with the non rotating floor. But as there is no add ons which allows you to see the inside all full and looking like the killing machine it was.
Thanks for your info. I notice you are in Alberta, Oh happy times, Calgary and Edmondchuck, in my murky past. Have a Labatts blue for me.

You should contact Ossie...he knows a ton about Centurions and I am sure he can answer your question...

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/201385

Nope, I am not a Cent man....but I have learned alot about them over the years...and I've shot at their hulls and turrets plenty of time on the range!!!
ossie262
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am building a model of a Cent for a mate, and he tells me that his old Mk5 or 6 Cent the one with the fixed floor, (fixed as in, when the turret was rotated the loader had to walk round with it if he was actually doing his job, cheese and jam sandwich making) had an extra fuel tank strapped on the rear , being a Conq man I had enough problems of my own to worry about trivial things like that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank's Onelung421

HI JIM
well i also have the parts left over from my STRV104 build . if you send me a email on [email protected]. i could send you the parts next weekend if thats any good for you .
the Mk 3 and Mk5 and Mk6 and 11 had no floor in the turrets. how can i help. ?
ossie
onelung421
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
Ossie you'll have to forgive me, it's the quantity of pills I'm on. Oh yeh! My mate tells me that the floor in his particular Mk of Cent, had a fixed floor, in that when the turret rotated the floor didn't, so if you were stood on it and the pair on the right hand side of the turret, decided to twist it round, you, as the loader, had to walk along with it,otherwise you got clobberd with the breach. But thinking about it, as the turret floor is a long way down you aren't going to see it. So forget about the rotating/stationary floor.
thanks.

Jim.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 01:10 PM UTC
Heres some pics of a Centurion at the Australian War Memorial , with the external fuel tank fitted .

I think the box on the rear left is for the infantry telephone .

LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 - 01:32 PM UTC
It is the tank phone...the Aussies mounted it horizontally while most other nations had it mounted vertically.
onelung421
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 10:57 PM UTC
I'd like to thank averyone that answered my call for HELP, on the Cent extra fuel tank. I now have all the info digested so I'll just have to hope that when I eventualy need it, I can remember where I stashed it.

SO once again thank you all very much.
Regards

Onelung
 _GOTOTOP