Hosted by Darren Baker
question on white limestone
LancashireFusilier
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC
Am gonna be painting a castle soon (imex plastic castle) and have decided to paint it as white limestone... i figure if i paint the stonework white and then use washes of grey i might get the effect i'm after. Can anyone come up with anything else? Your help is much appreciated
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 07:42 AM UTC
Steve while some castles were built of limestone it is a very poor rock for this purpose and I would have gone for granite or the like. However if you really want to go the Limestone route I would go with various shades of medium to dark greys in a random pattern and then use heavily diluted white washes to give a very mottled finish.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 07:54 AM UTC
I second Darren. Limestone, like marble, is more for aesthetic purposes. Take for example, the Pyramids and Roman and Greek temples. None of these countries used it for fortifications. Perhaps a palace, but I don't see it as sturdy enough to fend off an attack. And, upkeep would be horrible.
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:22 AM UTC
try this site www.stonerwth-aachen.de
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

http://www.stone.rwth-aachen.de/
working link
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I second Darren. Limestone, like marble, is more for aesthetic purposes. Take for example, the Pyramids and Roman and Greek temples. None of these countries used it for fortifications. Perhaps a palace, but I don't see it as sturdy enough to fend off an attack. And, upkeep would be horrible.

In fact the Pyramids are mainly made of limestone which is no less suitable for building castles or pyramids than granite. Most castles would have been made from local stone. Granite is also a more difficult stone than Limestone to carve and requires tools with a more hardened temper. When in college I was lucky enough to learn how to make and temper stone carving tools from an old lecturer who had worked as an apprentice mason.

Whereas Limestone does weather faster than granite it is still an incredibly slow process. Most of the degradation we see on limestone buildings in cities is due to acid rain and car exhaust pollution which would not have been a consideration when castles were first built.

In answer to the question I would paint the castle in a light buff or sand colour and then put grey and black washes over that
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Useful links
exploring-castles

Norman Stone Castles

Caen Stone
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:39 AM UTC
Pat I always believed that limestone was mostly used for mortar and while there are a number of buildings built from it I believed it was the least preferred option.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In fact the Pyramids are mainly made of limestone which is no less suitable for building castles or pyramids than granite. Most castles would have been made from local stone. Granite is also a more difficult stone than Limestone to carve and requires tools with a more hardened temper. When in college I was lucky enough to learn how to make and temper stone carving tools from an old lecturer who had worked as an apprentice mason.

Whereas Limestone does weather faster than granite it is still an incredibly slow process. Most of the degradation we see on limestone buildings in cities is due to acid rain and car exhaust pollution which would not have been a consideration when castles were first built.

In answer to the question I would paint the castle in a light buff or sand colour and then put grey and black washes over that

Sandstone, covered with limestone. Hence, the color presently.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pat I always believed that limestone was mostly used for mortar and while there are a number of buildings built from it I believed it was the least preferred option.

Agreed. Though Pat is partly right too. 'Local' stone could be coming from twenty plus miles away. Though the pyramids don't have quite as complex a shape as a castle. Straight lines versus the many curves on a castle. Specifically arches where the keystone (top middle) stone is made of a very dense material because it takes most of the arch's load.

I know it's a bit of a far stretch but History's 'Modern Marvels' did an episode on castles. They go into building techniques and the various types of castles. Would be good to watch IF you were lucky enough to find it.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're confusing lime mortar with limestone when they are two different things. The lime in mortar is got by heating limestone in a lime kiln to temperatures of about 1000 degrees centigrade.

Far from being the least preferred option the majority of medieval castles in Great Britain and Ireland were made from Limestone.

When the Normans started building Stone keeps to replace their wooden Motte and Bailey structures they went to the trouble of importing Limestone from quarries in Caen
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 01:58 AM UTC
I agree,limestone is an excellent building material for use in both mortar and bulk stone. All of the colonial buildings in my home town are made of the local version.
Most of the castles I saw in Germany(plenty) were made from it as well as the old medievel city walls that still exist such as Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber.
J
 _GOTOTOP