_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Recommend me a MIG Pigment Starter Set
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 295 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
I'm new to weathering. I appreciate that it might be cheaper to buy artists pastels but to be honest as a raw beginner I've got too much to master so would rather buy the right colours ready made.

To a beginner the MIG range is vast and confusing.

There are the basic pigments which are bad enough, but on top of that there are filters, washes, surface textures, effects.

Could anyone recommend a good starter selection for WWII armour, mostly western europe but also some western desert.

Many thanks.

Nigel
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC
Nigel- I can give you a few suggestions I think might be helpful to you.

Gulf War Sand
Industrial City Dirt
Rubble Dust
Standard Rust
Old Rust
Europe Dust
Dark Mud
Black Smoke

Hope this helps you out somewhat.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 01:49 AM UTC
Nigel as you are in the Uk i highly recommend you take a look at Pro-Effect Weathering Pigments from Pinnacle Modelling Supplies as they are also in the UK. you get a much larger quantity of pigment for your money which will allow you plenty of material to do some practice with. Pro-Effect Weathering Pigments do not currently have a product for all of your needs currently they are rapidly increasing their range.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 02:07 AM UTC
Also take a look at the AK Interactive pigments (ak-interactive.com). They have fewer colors, give you more pigment for the money, and are ground finer than the pigments from MiG.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Chalk pastels from the art store... Are pigments. Then mix with alcohol or turpenoid and you have washes. Don't worry about being a beginner there's no trick to mixing colours. You can buy them in pretty much any shade conceivable so you don't really need to mix anyway.

I've used mig and (much cheaper) vallejo pigments. Can't find a functional difference between them and chalks.

Save your money and use it to greater effect elsewhere.
 _GOTOTOP