_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
search and destroy
htank09
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hello
I plan on making a Vietnam diorama about us acav landing on a s&d mission. I will have Nva (with a zevezda aa dshk set), in the trenches and I am contemplating having a bm-13 in the trench. This will be my second 1/35 diorama as I am making a Iraq one at the moment. If you have any tips,photos, idea's then I will gladly appreciate it.
P.S. I will be making the NVA troops out of ww2 Russians and the US soldiers out of ww2 US. They will be figure bashed and the Nva will be heavily camouflaged.
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
Just received the first kit for this diorama, a 1/35 mrc uh 1c plan on building over the next couple of days
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
Just a heads up for the the UH-1C was only designed to carry around 5-7 troops. It was used more in the gunship role in Vietnam, and the UH-1D which had the extended crew compartment and was designed for carrying soldiers. Just a thought
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 06:06 AM UTC
Thanks, I'll remember that. The uh 1c will have to do though as its really hard to get a uh 1d (unless you know of any)
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 - 09:20 AM UTC
A friend is also now working on the diorama aswell (danmartin) and so will post builds aswell
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC
This sounds very interesting. I'll be on the lookout for it!

Cheers Dave
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Sounds like a very ambitious project! Looking forward to your first progress pictures!

Mark
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
Well I've done some work on the Huey but unfortunately I have lost the door gunner that comes with the kit (my brother misplaced it) so I've had to scratch some 50cal door guns and it will be a gun chip with rocket pods ( if I do find the door gunner then I will remove the 50's but there is little chance of that happening
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 06:48 AM UTC
Decided not he size of the base. 100cm long by 100cm wide. It will be in 2 halfs each 100cm long by 50cm wide. I will bet the trench system and one will be the LZ
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 07:30 AM UTC
If you need references for UH-1C's look in this thread from finescale lots of good stuff. With regards to door guns, UH-1C's didn't have dedicated door guns(except in some cases with mini guns) the crew chief in the back would most likely have a m60 or m16 or some other small arm. For the most part the .50cal was not mounted because there wasn't a good way to mount it and not have the floor get destroyed from recoil.
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:47 AM UTC
Many thanks, I have removed the 50's and have installed a door mounted m60
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 10:48 AM UTC
I also have 2 lrrp set, a green beret set and a marine recon set. I am also thinking of not having a bm 13 and 2 mortars instead and a recoilless rifle in a bunker
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
I have finished the Huey and a set of marines and green berets, I am just waiting on some mk1 helmets, some lrrp troops and I am finished. Does anyone know where I can find some 1/35 bumbags that Air-cav units had during Vietnam. Many thanks,
Harry
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello
I plan on making a Vietnam diorama about us acav landing on a s&d mission. I will have Nva (with a zevezda aa dshk set), in the trenches and I am contemplating having a bm-13 in the trench. This will be my second 1/35 diorama as I am making a Iraq one at the moment. If you have any tips,photos, idea's then I will gladly appreciate it.
P.S. I will be making the NVA troops out of ww2 Russians and the US soldiers out of ww2 US. They will be figure bashed and the Nva will be heavily camouflaged.

I just got the Huey frog myself an want to a diorama with troops hopping out on a fire support base an was wondering if you got any information on any diagrams of fire support bases. I was thinking of having the Huey with a Chinook. Either resupplying or dropping of soldiers out of the Chinook into the fire support base i would appreciate any help with web sites or books you might know about maybe we could help each other with information.

Happy modeling
Bill

PS: Using ww2 Russian soldiers as nva troops would be a accurate thing if they were attacking the fire support base. Why ww2 Russian soldiers. I think there is nva heads an helmets I seen somewhere that might work what you think?
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC
Nva troops would use Russian and chinese equipment and parts like the helmets will be replaced with boonie hats and full heads (without the flat bit for helmets). Also reading about trenches during the Vietnam war they tended to zig-zag (like in ww1) to reduce damage to the trench system. For information I watched films such as we were soldiers and other Vietnam war films, a good reference for the huey is either the squadron series of books or a documentary called Huey air armada. I like the idea of your diorama and I wish you good luck. If you want put a link in to your topic.
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=28297 link to my gallery of troops and my uh-1c. (dunno how to upload images) sorry about the quality as I had to do it on my tablet.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=28297 link to my gallery of troops and my uh-1c. (dunno how to upload images) sorry about the quality as I had to do it on my tablet.

I know the feeling my phone doesn't have any better quality either so don't feel bad. I am trying to find a camera myself.The model is awesome nice work I just found a troop transport UH Huey from panda it looks big enough. This diorama might take a little while because it big but I'll try.

Happy Modeling
Bill
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks bill hope to see yours diorama. The wood for the base is being assembled. By the way does anyone know where I can find thick sheets of Styrofoam in the UK?
Many thanks
Harry
kefffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Harry,
try looking on Woodlands Scenic web site, i have purchased, i believe 5-6 inch thick, hope this helps
htank09
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC
Sorry I haven't posted in a while as I have been prepping for GCSE's. Plan on continue with the diorama soon. Thanks keith, I will check out the Styrofoam at woodland scenics.
Many thanks
Harry
Scarlet_Guidon_6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hello Harry,where do I start.I spent to much time with the 1st Cav Di(airmobile) in Vietnam. I will attach some fire bases. A fire base is an LZ that we would expand to have infantry and a battery of 105's.
Most Hueys in the cav were D's slicks. now slicks had M 60 mg on board Attached is my model of a slick I had with the 1/2 fa. In III corps Quan loi. Also our Chinooks(Hooks) were a divisional asset ie theywere part of the division. Other divisions had no hooks and had to request support. Our cobras,hueys,loches and hooks were in ds to us.

Green berets and marines were not part of the cav and it was a rarity that were had berets on missions,having said that we were tasked for fire support for their operations.
I will ,if you request go into more detail if you want.
her are fire bases and huey.

_GOTOTOP