_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1:35 Jeep kit(s)
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 08:43 AM UTC
Is the kit depicted below (image snatched from the WWW), a re-pop of the old Tamiya kit, or new? Also, if it is new, is it better than the Italeri Jeep?

Thanks a ton,
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 09:05 AM UTC
to the best of my memory, it's a new kit.
way newer than the Italeri kits, & very much of the next-gen quality.
The Italeri jeep is still a nice little kit though.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 09:09 AM UTC
Not a repop. It was an all new kit as of 1997, and until a couple months ago, was the best WWII jeep on the market. It is still the best Willys MB on the market.

The best WWII jeep out there now is the recently released Bronco Ford GPW. It is much better and includes a bunch more accessories than the Tamiya kit. It is of the Ford version of the WWII jeep, which is slightly different than a Willys MB.

casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 09:16 AM UTC
How about this new Dragon SAS Jeep?? Isn't it a Willys Jeep?
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Whoa, thanks guys. Not being a full time tread head, and with all the 1:35 Jeep kits out there, I just want some good quality kits. I'm presently working on the old Tamiya kit, and it's pretty lame, in my opinion.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Gino is right that the 'best' new jeep is the Bronco Models.

However, it is also WAY more complex than the 97' tooling of the Tamiya kit. Yes, you will get a better detailed model..but it also cost twice as much and will take you 3 times as long to build.

Personaly, I still enjoy the newer tooled Tamiya kit. They are simple, build well, and only need some minor additional details 'if' you want to add them. You can assemble one in about 2 evenings or less. You can also find them fairly cheap second hand.

Yes, that old tool kit is a dog. The figures are worth holding on to, as they can be used with some TLC (including new heads).

hope that helps!
Andy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about this new Dragon SAS Jeep?? Isn't it a Willys Jeep?

The new Dragon kits are Willys MBs, but in my opinion, they are not better than the Tamiya kit. Tamiya's is just better engineered and still has better details. Dragon missed a lot on theirs.
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 11:34 PM UTC
I pre-ordered two just released Jeep kits via my LHS and the Dragon desertjeep aka SAS Commanders wehicle has just arrived. Got to pick it after Easter holidays and that Broncos Ford jeep w/ trailer is coming later. Man, I suffer serious Jeep-virus...
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man, I suffer serious Jeep-virus...

I know what you mean as I have been bitten by the JEEP bug too.

I hope to some day know the difference between the Willy and the Ford JEEP.

~ Jeff
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 01:52 AM UTC
More good info, thanks guys. I started banging the Jeep together to roughly represent the Jeep in a well known photograph. I have no real way of knowing if its a Willys or Ford vehicle, but that's OK, as it's really just a companion piece of the representative Jagdtiger in the same photo. I have to add a wire cutter, but that'll be pretty easy.

Speaking of Jeeps, I have the Concord book (#7058), and it's great, but are there any other reference books out there that you could recommend? (I have a "thing" about books.)

Thanks a bunch,
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope to some day know the difference between the Willy and the Ford JEEP.

Ford was awarded a contract to license build the GPW version of the Willys "Jeep" after Willy's couldn't keep up with the full demand required by the US Government. The Ford GPW (Government, 80” wheelbase, Willys-pattern) differed from the Willys MB in a few areas. The most noticeable was the front frame cross-member under the grill. On the Willys MB, a tubular piece is used, while an inverted "U" is used on the GPW. Also, Ford instituted the familiar stamped grill that was also adopted by Willys. The other noticeable difference is on the lids for the toolboxes located on either side of the rear seat. The Willys MB uses a plain flat cover whereas the Ford GPW has an embossed lid.

Per the Government contract, Jeeps had a full warranty, if anything broke, Willys or Ford would have to replace it, but old man Ford wasn't about to replace a Willys part. To keep track of his Jeeps, Ford was written in script on the rear plate. This was only done on the early GPWs. Early Willys MBs had a block letter “Willys” in the same place on the rear as well. To take the labeling one step further, Ford marked many pieces with a script "F" to identify it as a Ford part. In July of '42, the US Government made a change and no longer allowed the manufacturer to put their name on the rear plate. Additionally, when production was standardized, other parts were standardized between Ford and Willys. Some of these include an oval muffler (included in the kit), reinforcing plates on the rear panel, jerry can holder factory installed, blackout light factory installed (by '44 with the horseshoe shaped guard), and a different fuel tank and air filter. Also, jeeps in the field were repaired with either Ford or Willys parts and they had many field modifications and updates applied to them as the same parts that were being put on in factories became available. The Willys MB and Ford GPW were made concurrently throughout WWII.

Based on the above features, the Bronco kit can represent an early war (early to mid 1942) manufacture Ford GPW. If you add the blackout light with its guard, the mounted jerry can, and the M1 Garand holder on the windshield, it represent a field modified, later war jeep.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Here is a great thread that compares the Tamiya, Bronco, and DML jeeps.

3-Jeeps Thread
Jagdtiger46
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a great thread that compares the Tamiya, Bronco, and DML jeeps.

3-Jeeps Thread

Yap, I already commented on that thread. Thanks Gino,
 _GOTOTOP