_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Soviet tank uniforms
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
Appreciate any 'pointers' as to where I can get good colour web downloads of Soviet tank uniforms/headgear in WW2.

Many thanks.

Trackpins.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:16 PM UTC
Russian
WWII Russian Infantry colours:

The uniform was 'khaki' all through the war, but the Soviet definition of Khaki was unusually wide.
The uniform varied in colour between sand through various browns to chocolate at the other extreme, maybe with a touch of green in the mix.

Late war the uniforms were sometimes a dark green, rather darker than OD and familiar if you've seen post war Russian green uniforms. My suggestion would be to take a light brown equivalent to milk chocolate in colour and add a little olive green.

The Soviets had a different sort of attitude to their soldiers than Western Allies and even in propaganda films you can see them wearing what is clearly a mix of shades ( and presumably colours ) in the same unit.

Belts: brown leather for some officers, webbing for others. Webbing was used for covers on spare mag, water bottles etc. Like in most armies, the webbing varied between a light khaki drab such as Ral Partha "Tan" and a darker green.

Boots were high or low brown or black. Low ones with khaki particularly common early war.
13 million US boots were shipped over and hence represent a pretty sizeable part of the footwear used.

Early war, red markings on collar, later these and or red marked boards on the shoulders.
Some early war troops would have big red stars on the front of their helmets.

Helmets mid dull brown or darkish green similar to US helmet colour without netting. Neither netting nor cloth covers were usual. The fur hat is grey with a little red star front centre.
The characteristic 'bedroll' over one shoulder could be a grey or khaki blanket, brown greatcoat or roughly OD green rain cape.

Camo coveralls were used by snipers and scouts with raffia 'grass' all over on some or large mickey mouse pattern dark on light. Various colour mixes include light and dark brown, green and dark green/black.

Full medals were usually worn in combat.

This might help I do have a small book on Russian unforms maybe I could scan and send some photos made by Osprey I think (++) (:-)
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC
hi russian overalls for tankers varied , from royal blue , black , dark grey , light sandy khaki to olve drab , the two that i own are black faded to charcoal grey , under the flaps it is still black and dated 1942 , other is sandy khaki and is dated 1943 , as to tankers helmets black , grey in all shades , olive drab , sandy khaki , white winter ones are seen very rarely . belts red brown leather or sandy khaki webbing buckles , brass dulled down and some painted in all shades of olve drab , boots black , blanket was khaki or olive drab , but civilian ones were used , back pack sandy khaki , cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP