_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Leopard 1 original color?
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hello,

I recently acquired an old Tamiya Leopard 1 kit. This one has number MM-164A as it was issued by the model rectifier corporation. The instructions don't contain any paint numbers.

My New Vanguard book on the Leo 1 does not cover the original olive drab-like color number that I would like to apply on it.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks for the assist.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 10:37 AM UTC
Welcome to the sight Iwan.
Im not sure about the color, but to help out the guys and gals with your answer, what brand of paint do you use or can get. This will help in giving you an exact brand number.

Welcome again, but beware, this place is very ADICTIVE!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-) #:-)
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
Epi,

Thanks. I forgot to mention I usually use Testors or Tamiya.

The text in the instructions mentions olive drab but that is a broad term.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
I used Humbrol enamel #78, it was a kind of semi-gloss olive gray color. I remember when I was in Germany the store person suggested that color (I still have the little tin).
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2002 - 11:06 AM UTC
Well, Im not the type to use exact color matches. But if I was painting it, I would use Model Master Acryls Olive Drab. By adding a little white paint, you can get different shades. I would also base coat the vehicle flat black first.
I know you will get a post with the exact or very close FS number.

sorry I couldnt be of a lot of help.
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Sabot, Epi,

Thanks. I'll try to figure out the RAL color synonymous with the Humbrol No.

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
Iwan,

Can't you use your former connections in the Dutch army. I've used the old Dutch Army olive-drab they used on the real thing on airbrushing a leopard 1A4 once. Pretty good results I might add. Just thin it to your likings.

stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
Danny,

I see where you're going. I live in the US now, it would be somewhat hard to get a jar airmailed/sea-mailed, what with the current situation.

The latest color used on the Leo1 was 6014 in the dutch Army. The Germans used it too, however when they entered service there was an olive drab color different from the above, the RAL/FS code of which has been rather elusive. It LOOKS like O.D., not olive green.

Once I have that code, I am out of the woods.

Thanks,

Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
I see your point Stavka.

Italeri does give paint numbers. May be this can halp you a bit.

http://www.small-wheels.com.br/ita374.htm
stavka2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
Eagle,

Thanks for that lead. It seems to be FS34087, and that is the one I do NOT have in the box. On to the store.

Thanks for the help.
Cazza
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:57 AM UTC
This is properly getting off the track, but the Australian Army also uses the Leopard (Known as the AS1 MBT).
The original colour used was HUMBROL number 79 (as Sabot says). The Australian Army then repainted the AS1 to HUMBROL number 80 because the army found that the original colour was too dark for the Australian bush.
Later on the army saw the need to camouflage there fleet of AS1's. Several methods were used. One of the firsts was the 'mud bath'. At the start of exercise or deployment, crews dipped there big cats into a 'mud bath'. A special mud clang onto the leopard and gave a really good camo patten. Each vehicle was different.
The problem with this was that it wore off during use and was a real pain in the arse to clean off afterwards. Another method used was 'Tiger stripes'. Brown paint was applied in an arrow patten heading up to the turret. This dident work very well and actually helped anti-armour crews, by giving aiming marks!!!
The method mostly in use now is the Disruptive patten. Humbrol colours 33, 80, 93 are used. But some still have the original (Australian) green paint job.
This method (camo) is now in use on all vehicles in the Australian Defence Force. If anyone is interested I can provide pictures.
Not exactly the answer to the question asked, But something interesting to read (I hope) for any leopard fans out there. For more infomation on Australian Leopards cheack out :
http://www.hobbyvista.com/anzacsteel/Armoured%20Vehicles/leopardph_1.htm ( cut and paste into your browser)
:)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
Oh yes !
Photos would be great ! It would be great to model some aussy armor some day.
Can you post them somewhere? Maybe you could create a yahoo album...

Otherwise, my mail is : [email protected]

And if you know a Franzmann in Australia, it's probably an uncle or a cousin of mine !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:36 PM UTC
Stavka,

glad to have helped you. Any time !
 _GOTOTOP