_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"Photo in 3D - Karelia 1941"
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hello to everyone!
I while ago, I saw this picture in one of the Concord Books:

Lately, it came to my knowledge that the original postcard was sold in E-bay, and regain certain level of fame.
Although it is uncertain the exact date, it is presumed it was taken somewhere in the Karelian Wood in 1941, before the SS troops assigned to the area were attached to the 6th SS Division "Nord".
So, to make a long story short, I decided to give it a go, and here is the result.
Everything is scrachtbuilt, the frame, the shadow box, the vegetation.
The shadow box was constructed with balsa wood, cardboard and plastic strips.
The fallen tree was made with a florist wire, covered with two components epoxi. The branches are small twigs from the garden.
The little bushes on the shores are made with a parasite plant that grows in the south of my country, and it is locally known as "barba de viejo" (old man's beard).
For the water I used EZ-Water from Woodland Scenics, and to make the little ripples, clear nail polish.
The background photo was treated in Photoshop, composed from several pictures found on the internet of the Karelian woods, trying to make it as similar as possible to the original image.
The figures are converted figures from Dragon, with some Gen2 equipment from the spare box. The blouse from the first figure was sculpted with two components epoxy. The slings and straps were made with aluminum foil. I did my best to represent early war SS camo patterns (I think the palm tree pattern on the second figure is a somewhat decent representation of the original).
Everything was painted with acrylics and oils, and then sealed with flat lacker.
So, enough with the talking, here are the pictures.

As usual, any comments will be much appreciated.
Thanks for looking.
Cheers!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 01:44 AM UTC
Very nice job!! I have always loved shadowboxes. Nice way to control the scene and the light,etc.
J
pdelsoglio
Visit this Community
Mendoza, Argentina
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice job!! I have always loved shadowboxes. Nice way to control the scene and the light,etc.
J

Hi there!
Thanks for watching and your comments!

Cheers.
 _GOTOTOP