Hosted by Darren Baker
I Got A Huey Frog from Academy Question
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 01:26 PM UTC
Can this 1/35 scale Huey Frog be used as a troop transport or is there other ones. I have to get in 1/35 scale to make a accurate Vietnam diorama I was going to do carrying troops.

Happy Modeling
Bill
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 01:36 PM UTC
Very early in the war, pre-'64, a few B and C (short body) models were used for troop transport. The C as in the kit was designed from the beginning as a gunship. The prime troop transport, or "slick", was the UH-1D/H long-body version. Panda/Dragon (1/35) and Revell (1/32) make D/H models.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC
contrary to popular belief the life span of a Huey used in combat wasn't all that great. I've seen brand new ones hauled out with less than two hours on them, but also seen them with patches all over them as well.

You have what we called a "slick", but it was not uncommon to see a slick with attachment points for rocket pods and miniguns. Guess it gave them the options. If your doing the short bodied version you might consider leaving off the doors, as they were in the way when doing an insertion.

Depending on your time frame and the rough date of manufacture, you can have a field day wethering this slick! By 1967 (had it lasted that long)it would gone thru a serious meat grinder. The tail boom would probably have been replaced twice. The walls would have bullet holes in them and a lot of tears in the Kevlar. The floors would be a combo of silver, grey, and mud. The door guns would have gone from the bunji cord to the fixed mounted post, and maybe even back again. By 68 the chopper would have been scrapped out. I did a couple insertions on the shorter ones, and with six guys and a drag bag it was fairly crowded and hard to get outta there real fast.
gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You have what we called a "slick", but it was not uncommon to see a slick with attachment points for rocket pods and miniguns. Guess it gave them the options.

Not really, he has a UH-1C Gunship. The short-bodied C model Hueys were designed from the beginning as gunships. A few B models were used as slicks, but not most C models. Slicks did not carry rockets and guns either, just the gunships. Likewise, the gunships were pretty much at max weight with the guns, rockets, and ammo and didn't carry passengers.

The main slick was the UH-1D/H model long-bodied Hueys. Dand H models usually only carried M60 doorguns, not rocketa nd gun pods as the gunships did. There were no UH-1D/H gunships either.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You have what we called a "slick", but it was not uncommon to see a slick with attachment points for rocket pods and miniguns. Guess it gave them the options.

Not really, he has a UH-1C Gunship. The short-bodied C model Hueys were designed from the beginning as gunships. A few B models were used as slicks, but not most C models. Slicks did not carry rockets and guns either, just the gunships. Likewise, the gunships were pretty much at max weight with the guns, rockets, and ammo and didn't carry passengers.

The main slick was the UH-1D/H model long-bodied Hueys. Dand H models usually only carried M60 doorguns, not rocketa nd gun pods as the gunships did. There were no UH-1D/H gunships either.

guess I could have written the post better. If the ship was hauling troops and gear on a CA it probably just had door guns like you said. The long bodied ship was always prefered, and the only short bodied ones I was around much was down on Dottie for a short stint. They also had long bodied Hueys as well, and seemed to reconfigure each one daily. Now earlier in the conflict, units like the 1st CAV did these changes often. North of these areas, a slick always stayed that way, and a gunship ways stayed a gunship
gary
 _GOTOTOP