_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bronco 25pdr and limber - Part 2
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 05:46 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Some months back I finish building the Bronco 25 pdr. Thought I had a blog on it somewhere but can't locate it! So this is Part 2 as I finally got started on the limber.

This is where I left off

http://put.url.here

The limber is a detail build in itself. I've clean up some of the main parts but I would probably be best to build several of the ammo trays first to help make sure the tray runners are correct.

There are 3 trees of parts for the limber and 16 trays of ammo, which all have markings supplied. The limber has just been released as a separate item and comes with the canvas cover which unfortunately was not included in the original release of the 25 pdr c/w limber.

Still it should make for an interesting build.

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 06:03 AM UTC
The new Bronco No27 trailer also has the alternate ammo trays in it, I am unsure if both types of tray are included but it was not unusual to see them mixed.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

I'll await news there, but I have a second one of these to build for the Bishop, which I'll build along with this one..

I'll probably do another 25pdr for NWE and change the old Tamiya gun I did into a towed version by adding some covers for the breech and barrel.

If I remember correctly the Bronco one is the better option of the two new guns?

Cheers

Al

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 08:34 AM UTC
My opinion is that the Bronco offering is superior by far in every respect and while there are some missing details they should be easy to rememdy. The hand spikes and the pickaxe head are the most obvious issues, the hand spikes are moulded as a single part from memory and the pickaxe head has been missed. A 25pdr in action should have a hand spike stuck in the rear for easy rapid traverse of the gun.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

Thanks, that's what I thought, I'll stick with Bronco. I remembered to add the pick head when I was doing the build.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi folks,

These are the parts for the shell trays, the first 8 of 16.

Takes a while to clean them up and each part has a specific place and alignment so keeping them in separate groups helps.

I added the two cross sections, again these need a specific alignment so check your instructions, then the second side. Next I dropped in a set of shells which help stableise the whole structure and then added the ends. Once the trays have started to set then the shells can be removed for painting. There are two cross sections to add across the top of the shells which I'll add later. Another 8 trays to go.

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi folks,

A bit more work on the ammo and trays. The kit provides 3 different types of shell markings, I've used 2 of them. Once the shells have been painted and marked the final stage is to add two small locking rounds to the trays. There is a small seem on the underside so this will need shaved off if you want a good fit.

Once the trays are complete I'll start work on the limber proper.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi folks,

A bit more work on the Limber. Lots of tiny parts, a tricky but detailed build.

Getting the frame for the trays right is difficult and at the end you need to add some PE cross members. I'd suggest you cut these from the very far edge and not square, that way you can use the ends to connect them between the trays. Cut square you will need absolutely perfect alignment to get them to fit.

Cheers

Al
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 07:35 AM UTC
One thing to note for those building the Bronco 25 pdr and related kits:

The ammo boxes provided in the kit are quite a bit too large for 1/35 scale. I have the measurements from Rob Lockie and the boxes are about a mm too large on each side making them considerably more bulky than they should be. I'll dredge up the measurements tonight when I'm home from work, but I think the charge box is slightly worse than the shell box.

It's a bloody shame, too as any actual firing position will have literally dozens, if not hundreds of charge & ammo boxes strewn around it after a day's worth of fire missions.

In an arty FOO's memoir about the Canadians in Normandy, his regiment fired over 24,000 rounds in one particular day and over 16,000 rounds a day on many ocassions.. That's 1,000 rounds per gun in one day. This would generate 125 charge boxes and 250 shell boxes around each gun plus a mountain of unfired charge bags waiting to be burned after each fire mission.

And then there's tomorrow's pile of ammo boxes to deal with...

I'm going to make a base for my 25 pdr and I need to come up with a LOT of ammo boxes as I want to show it during a day of combat.

Paul
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Yes, they put down a lot of rounds.

A bit more work. Added the trail and final small fittings did a little painting.

I have the Resicst 25pdr set I got last year, so have some additional ammo boxes to play with. 3 types, with 5 boxes each: C206 8 x Cartridges, P59 4 x HE/Smoke and P60 that held 4 x AP rounds.

I also thought I might make some individual shells and casings from the unused tray rounds.

Fun part next getting some paint on.

Cheers

Al
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
After reading your threads on this great build you inspired me to buy one of these kits, it turned up today and wow...its a real cracker and well worth the money.

Watching your build with great interest Al, keep it up mate.

Regards

Dan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2013 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Dan,

Many thanks. Enjoy the build. It takes patience to build this one as each small sub assembly needs to set before you add the next.

Got a little paint on the limber so this is how things stand at the moment.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi folks,

With the unused shells for the empty trays I cut and drilled them into empty casings and individual shells.

Some paint on the Resicast Boxes.

Cheers

Al

Dannyd
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:52 PM UTC
Very nice work Al, lovely finish on the kit, are you going to add some ground work?

Dan
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 12:00 AM UTC
Nice build Alan. For display in an ideal world the No 27 would be on that side reversed and behind the gun.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi Dan and Darren,

Thanks for looking in and the comments.

I want to set this in a Defence of Tobruk context. I have the old Tamiya gun crew that with some work might do, but I'd like to have a hands on look at the Bronco 17/25 pdr crew when they come out and it's possible, although I have no information, that Bronco might do a Desert Crew for the 25 pdr which would be good.

So a base and some figures to be soured and constructed at some point in the future. I also want to see what the Bronco 25pdr ammo set is like as you can never have enough sells and boxes.

Cheers

Al
Dannyd
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
I bought the western European crew for my 25 pdr from Bronco and I'm not upset at all, fantastic figures so if the desert crew is anything to go by you'll be very happy Al.

I best keep an eye on this thread as I think it's going to get even better.

Regards

Dan
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hi Dan,

I have the 17/25 pdr crew and just opened up the box. Also have the NWE crew who at a push could be used in the desert.

I'll hold back on using either with the 25pdr though, as Murphy's law says as soon as I start Bronco will announce a desert 25pdr crew lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC
Al,
I always love the arty builds and this one is no exception. Along with the other figgies sets mentioned you may be able to use some of the other MB sets that came out with guys sans shirts and wearing shorts? Any countrys' troops would work with a little mods.??
J
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hi Jerry,

Many thanks. If it wasn't in fire mode I had considered some of the MiniArt Jeep Crew and probably a couple of the MB LRDG Crew could be adopted too.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP