_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
on-line?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
I don't know if it's just me or not, but it seems as if some of the threads are getting way off base. Let me explain this, there seems to be more and more nitpicking posts which seem to be forgetting what this site is about (or supposed to be about ). Perhaps it's just a personal gripe, but the amount of topics which start off as serious discussion/information forums, seem to have a tendency to get diluted/sidetracked by posts which would be better off in the Junk-Drawer or one of the other Forums.

I don't want to start a flame-war over some of the stuff which has had most attention recently, however when something has been resolved by site admin, or a decision has been taken, why does the thread keep going for another 3 pages? I get the feeling that there is an inordinate amount of space taken up by total trivia.

My conclusion is reasonably simple. I joined this site because it was innovative and lively. Some of the posts I've seen in the last few days look like transcripts from the Jerry Springer show. I'm also getting a little hacked-off by the Uday posts. Yes, I sometimes find them funny, but I would prefer to see them (if they have to continue, relegated to the Junk-Drawer. I'm not really sure that Uday is an image this site needs...Jim
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'd have to agree here. Things do seem to be getting out of hand. We're all a little guilty for going Off-topic or getting a little defensive at some point. Let's make this the Best Site Around By keeping it to a Minimum. Or put it in the correct place aka The Junk Drawer!!!!
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:19 AM UTC
I don't about on or off topic but I have noticed people being pretty argumentative lately. I actually deleted one of my posts the other day because in retrospect I thought it only added fuel to the flame war fire. Hopefully it is just growing pains.

Shaun
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
I was going to stop nominating and voting in the User Of The Month thing altogether , when I saw people nominating Uday and Falconbbs. To me, it had become a farce and I had no interest in it. Thankfully, Jim stepped in and took care of the problem. That was getting ridiculous.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 10:44 AM UTC
Sad to say, I have to agree.

There have been a few threads lately which have boiled over, or simply taken on a nasty tone. Topics which begin as a bit of fun seem to end up being thoroughly divisive.

I don't know what the cause is; we pride ourselves on being the friendliest community on the internet, but this is hardly the best advert for the Big-A.

I'm the first to admit to going off topic occasionally when someone's post catches my interest, but I do try to be helpful and courteous at all times.

Sometimes I think we need to remind ourselves this is a hobby we all love, and hopefully we're all here to try to help one another get the most out of it.

Full marks for speaking up.

All the best

Rowan
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
I cant say I had noticed!

I have to plead guilty to posting objections when I felt that comments were innappropriate but much of the time I either choose to ignore or fail to even see the posts that cause controversy. Unless of course they are mine?!*

I have observed before, and will do so again, that there is a tendency for people to post in the wrong forum. The junk draw is the right place for junk, but we also have a lot of modelling posts turning up in the wrong modelling forum and often duplicating discussions. Maybe if people spent more time reading existing posts rather than writing new ones it would benefit everyone.

Regards Dave
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was going to stop nominating and voting in the User Of The Month thing altogether , when I saw people nominating Uday and Falconbbs. To me, it had become a farce and I had no interest in it. Thankfully, Jim stepped in and took care of the problem. That was getting ridiculous.

I disagree, If we cannot nominate whoever we want, why even have a vote?
Just let Jim decide who he wants as UOM.
He has already made it clear that he decides who isn't going to be UOM.
And to be honest, that's cool by me. It is his board and he can do whatever he wants on it.. I just think it's a bit disingenious to call it a nomination and voting process if some like Uday and Falconbbs are excluded.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:19 AM UTC
I think we have to be carefull here,when this site was in its early days,a few topics got out of hand,but in a very humorous,and entertaining way,take for instance the post on regional flags that is going on at the moment,despite all our differences,we are having fun with it,just about a year ago we had a similar discussion on threads that were going off topic,so what!that is what makes this site the number one as apposed to sites like the other ones(no names,no pack drill),so come on no thought police and rivet counters,keep this site fun and number one,that was almost a rap,it rymed.
Arthur
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:33 AM UTC
At the risk of, once again, adding fuel to the flame fire, Selrach, I think you are way off base. The way I have it figured, I am a guest here. We all are. The only reason there is an Armorama is because Jim hosts the site. I think I contribute in the forums and have tried, when I was able, to contribute monetarily. If joke nomitations for UOM are going to be the norm I bet there are more than enough of us out there that could register another couple hundred user names and all vote ourselves UOM.
I think it was fine that Jim wanted the UOM to actually mean something.

FLAME ON...

Shaun

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At the risk of, once again, adding fuel to the flame fire, Selrach, I think you are way off base. The way I have it figured, I am a guest here. We all are. The only reason there is an Armorama is because Jim hosts the site. I think I contribute in the forums and have tried, when I was able, to contribute monetarily. If joke nomitations for UOM are going to be the norm I bet there are more than enough of us out there that could register another couple hundred user names and all vote ourselves UOM.
I think it was fine that Jim wanted the UOM to actually mean something.

FLAME ON...

Shaun

I agree wholeheartedly.
 _GOTOTOP