_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Custom Decals, Is It Worth It?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 08:58 AM UTC
I know there are several kits to print your own decals. I was wondering if it is worth the effort? I have an inkjet printer and no problem getting Adobe Illustrator. Is it a difficult process to turn out good decals or should I look for a professional?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:23 AM UTC
I don't want to play graphic artist. I want to build tanks.

For my Grant build, and my upcoming Lee build, I did the research and provided the information, and let someone else do the artwork and printing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:32 AM UTC
I have checked with Mal. I would have to find a photo and do a hi-def rendering job on it. I feel that I am doing all of the work; as I was told that they would send me a copy of what it looks like, if I would send the a copy of what it looks like. Kind of like a dog chasing his tail.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have checked with Mal. I would have to find a photo and do a hi-def rendering job on it. I feel that I am doing all of the work; as I was told that they would send me a copy of what it looks like, if I would send the a copy of what it looks like. Kind of like a dog chasing his tail.

I haven't done decal work, but I do know that designing print ready artwork can be very time consuming, even something "simple". Getting a good clean image is only one part of the entire process. Say you want custom serial codes, unless you have a font that you can use, it has to be drawn from scratch or modified from an existing font. Divisional emblems, "nose art" etc take time too depending on the artist's skill and complexity of the design and the printing process used. There's a reason custom work isn't cheap. Some printers just can't be bothered to do design work for others, they just stick to printing and pre-press.

If you want, PM me and I can take a look to see what you're after and maybe lend a hand.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I haven't done decal work, but I do know that designing print ready artwork can be very time consuming, even something "simple". Getting a good clean image is only one part of the entire process. Say you want custom serial codes, unless you have a font that you can use, it has to be drawn from scratch or modified from an existing font. Divisional emblems, "nose art" etc take time too depending on the artist's skill and complexity of the design and the printing process used. There's a reason custom work isn't cheap. Some printers just can't be bothered to do design work for others, they just stick to printing and pre-press.

If you want, PM me and I can take a look to see what you're after and maybe lend a hand.

Thank you. Actually, I'm quite proficient with Adobe Illustrator. I know it takes time, but it is something I enjoy doing. I'm more concerned with the chemicals used to make the decal. I understand it is a multi-step process.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, I'm quite proficient with Adobe Illustrator.

Inkscape and GIMP myself. Used Designer until I got Windows 7.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All I did was provide photos of what I wanted replicated. :shrug:

jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
G'day Matt,
[quoteThank you. Actually, I'm quite proficient with Adobe Illustrator. I know it takes time, but it is something I enjoy doing. I'm more concerned with the chemicals used to make the decal. I understand it is a multi-step process.[/quote]

If you have the artwork done, and in the format that the decal producer works with, then it's not really a problem at all.
As for chemicals, that will depend on what type of decal is being produced and how it is printed. E.g.Rub-on or water slide, Laser, inkjet, screen or like mine Alps.
Depending on how many colors are used will also factor into the cost.
I have done a few custom jobs, and charge practically nothing (that's NOT an open invite either!!!).

To do it from home, its not that hard. Just be aware that any color (apart from black) needs to have a white under coat.
When I first stated I made the huge mistake of using an inkjet to do colors on clear decal paper. Wont work. The color will disappear into the paint of the kit. Unless the paint is white.
The other way around it is to use white decal paper.
That in it's self is a problem. You then need to cut the printed part out. But if you cut the printed part, the ink will run when placed in water (see sealing below.
Using an inkjet you will also need to seal the paper with a decal sealant. This is toxic and very nasty.

I use an Alps MD-5500 printer and I have never had to seal the paper, so no chemicals.
Colors like white, red, blue, yellow, black, green are very easy to print. But I still have a few problems with certain colors and shades.
in saying that, most colors used are black and white.

Cheers Jason
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Matt,
[quoteThank you. Actually, I'm quite proficient with Adobe Illustrator. I know it takes time, but it is something I enjoy doing. I'm more concerned with the chemicals used to make the decal. I understand it is a multi-step process.

If you have the artwork done, and in the format that the decal producer works with, then it's not really a problem at all.
As for chemicals, that will depend on what type of decal is being produced and how it is printed. E.g.Rub-on or water slide, Laser, inkjet, screen or like mine Alps.
Depending on how many colors are used will also factor into the cost.
I have done a few custom jobs, and charge practically nothing (that's NOT an open invite either!!!).

To do it from home, its not that hard. Just be aware that any color (apart from black) needs to have a white under coat.
When I first stated I made the huge mistake of using an inkjet to do colors on clear decal paper. Wont work. The color will disappear into the paint of the kit. Unless the paint is white.
The other way around it is to use white decal paper.
That in it's self is a problem. You then need to cut the printed part out. But if you cut the printed part, the ink will run when placed in water (see sealing below.
Using an inkjet you will also need to seal the paper with a decal sealant. This is toxic and very nasty.

I use an Alps MD-5500 printer and I have never had to seal the paper, so no chemicals.
Colors like white, red, blue, yellow, black, green are very easy to print. But I still have a few problems with certain colors and shades.
in saying that, most colors used are black and white.

Cheers Jason
[/quote]
Thanks Jason. I will see if I can find somebody that can actually print the decals, for me.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(that's NOT an open invite either!!!).

I should have placed a "smiley face" after that.
Email me Matt with what your after and I will see what I can do.

Cheers Jason

[email protected]
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 10:25 PM UTC
I don't own a printer but for a commision job I am working on I needed custom decals as the vehicle I was portraying was from a picture and it had to be that specific vehicle.

Being a designer by trade I designed all the markings for it in Illustrator and send it over to a company here in the Netherlands that does decal printing work and also does custom work. The decal sheet was going to cost me 5,50. At that price I have professionally made decals in white. And it saves me a lot of frustration here at home.
So yeah... I do the designs but somebody else does the printwork for me. And that works fine for me.
 _GOTOTOP