_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman 75mm turrets and smoke mortars
patton76
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 528 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hey guys,

I need some help on this from the shermaholics here.

The last few weeks smoke mortars have been troubling my mind and I can't find the answer.

I thought that 75mm turrets had the smoke mortar hole when they also had the loaders hatch.

This seems to be confirmed here: http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/turret_types/75mm_turrets.html

But looking in Hunnicut yesterday I found at least two pictures of 75mm turrets without loaders hatch but with a smoke mortar hole. Same goes for Tasca manuals on the M4A1, 2 and 4 where they state to open the smoke mortar hole. I was under the impression that Tasca normally does their research.

Same goes for the Dragon M4 Normandy which has the hole open.., I also think Hurricane has the hole open, but not sure here.

I'm building a Sherman of 70TD on Utah, reason why I started looking in on this, but now I'd like to know it for my other Sherman's.

I'm getting clueless here...

Any help on other small things on different Sherman versions would also be appreciated, I'm thinking on things like brackets, spotlight, etc.

Many thanks!

Dave
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Shermans without loader's hatches certainly got the roof-mounted smoke launcher - H-2 "Hurricane" photo'd around D Day is a prime example. (Although it was sealed under canvas and bostik in the famous pic!) I don't know if there was a specific link between the launcher and hatch, but whenever something new appeared in the chain there were always "old" parts to be used up, and many "old" tanks would get upgrades fitted in the Ordnance Depot. The result is you really need good photos of a specific tank to be absolutely sure of any combo of parts - never say "never" where Shermans are concerned!

By the way, as it is now mid-April already and I have yet to cut any plastic, I regret to say my planned BARV will not be taking part in the final landings of your D Day campaign. However, if you run another to end 6 6 14, maybe...
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
The Smoke Mortar was introduced about the same time the Shell ejection/Pistol Port was deleted from the Low Bustle turret (the so called mid production Low Bustle turret). Due to the nature of construction and assembly of Shermans by the manufacturers there may have been some overlap with earlier turrets recieving them. and some later not getting them.
Wait another mont hfor Son of Sherman which will probably answer a lot of the more interesting questions regarding things like this. Given the number of manufacturers, Sub Contractors and the continous improvement over 50,000 vehicles the scope for differences is enormous.
Al
 _GOTOTOP