"I said that way!"
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 03:18 AM UTC
Another figure...

Bravo 6 figure with Hornet Head & TANK weapon.

Joe.

J8kob_F
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 03:27 AM UTC
Love both the figure and the grass. Is this 1/35?

Jakob
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi Jakob,

Yes, all 1/35th.

Joe.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Another great figure
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 09:53 AM UTC
Your figures, and attention to detail, are simply stupendous.

Now, if you had three other butter bars pointing north in different directions looking like a 4 ID patch.......
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 06:08 PM UTC
Thakyou for your messages!
The figures take an age to build & paint but I like the end result.
The figure has a 1st Inf. Div patch on his right shoulder which means he has served in that division previously.
If you turn him round you will in fact find the Ivy Division patch on his left shoulder which denotes the Outfit he is now with.

Joe.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 10:14 PM UTC
Another great piece Joe- congrats on this it looks fantastic. The expression on his face is very nicely complimented by the excellent skin tones.
WarrenD
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 01:38 AM UTC
That guy must be strong to one-arm a M-60 pig like that!!!
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 02:27 AM UTC
Actually Warren, it's an M-16 with underslung M-203 40mm grenade launcher. Introduced in 1969 they did see service in Vietnam but only towards the end of the conflict.
Made famous by Al Pacino in the closing scene of the 1983 film "Scarface". You may have seen it.

Joe.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually Warren, it's an M-16 with underslung M-203 40mm grenade launcher. Introduced in 1969 they did see service in Vietnam but only towards the end of the conflict.
Made famous by Al Pacino in the closing scene of the 1983 film "Scarface". You may have seen it.

Joe.

not nitpicking, but knowing what I know about the Big Red One, and Vietnam I ought to fill you in.

The patch should be subdued (OD with a black number one on it) or not be there. Had the guy had a uniform change there would be no patches on it, and most likely no rank sewn on it. Life and death thing. Never saw 30 round mag pouches issued so I would not know.

The Big Red One went home early in 1969, and actually started staging down early in the Spring. There would have been very few XM203's issued to them, but they might have had a few. An officer normally carried a 45 and a standard M16 or even a CAR15. They didn't want to look too different than everybody else. Many actually kept their side arms covered up to further hide this issue.

Knowing that their AO was the rubber plantations and very dense jungle, and the way the guy looks. He almost looks like a SOG guy, or even SF. (they didn't always wear camies, and most of the time in the bush wore boonie caps). By the way SOG did a lot of OP's in and around the rubber platations on Brightlight missions

The figure is beautifully done. You paint a hell of a lot better than I can (younger eyeballs?) Maybe a trace of mud and dust?
gary
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi Gary,
I take everything you said on board & totally agree with it.
However, I made this guy without a helmet & it seemed to me at the end of painting to be a little "colourless" so I decided to add the red "1" instead of subdued to give the figure a hint of colour. I have also given him a couple of different M-18 smokes (tear gas & something else I cant remember!) on his ruck to add a bit more colour as you can see in the images below...

Also, you will notice that the coloured patch is actually on his right arm. This denotes, as you know, a previous deployment with that division which did in fact leave in '69 as you rightly say. His left sleeve bares the insignia of the IV Division which was employed in Vietnam after 1969 & the division he is now serving in.
The base figure is the Bravo 6 Sgt Barnes from the film "Platoon" & he looked very special forces.
You'll have to excuse a little artistic license on my part. Not being born until the last year of US involvement & living in the UK, I have been brought up on Hollywood blockbusters & the very odd documentary!
Still, I'm glad you like the figure Gary. It's nice to hear from you again, my friend.

Joe.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gary,
I take everything you said on board & totally agree with it.
However, I made this guy without a helmet & it seemed to me at the end of painting to be a little "colourless" so I decided to add the red "1" instead of subdued to give the figure a hint of colour. I have also given him a couple of different M-18 smokes (tear gas & something else I cant remember!) on his ruck to add a bit more colour as you can see in the images below...

Here's why I said subdued. The VC down south and even up there in III-Corps would offer a rewards for a patch from the 1st Infantry and probably the 4th as well. There was also a couple other things they offered rewards for and only a new guy would be caught with them (like the yellow scarf from the quarter CAV). You got the smoke grenades right as they usually carried red, green, and yellow (sometimes purple). The local VC were particularly nasty down that way, and you had to stay ontop of your game with them. But as I said the guy looks like a Brightlight SOG guy the way he's outfitted. Add a little face paint, and a rope mine, and he'd send chills down your back. Perhaps a MIKE force team leader?
gary

Also, you will notice that the coloured patch is actually on his right arm. This denotes, as you know, a previous deployment with that division which did in fact leave in '69 as you rightly say. His left sleeve bares the insignia of the IV Division which was employed in Vietnam after 1969 & the division he is now serving in.
The base figure is the Bravo 6 Sgt Barnes from the film "Platoon" & he looked very special forces.
You'll have to excuse a little artistic license on my part. Not being born until the last year of US involvement & living in the UK, I have been brought up on Hollywood blockbusters & the very odd documentary!
Still, I'm glad you like the figure Gary. It's nice to hear from you again, my friend.

Joe.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 07:37 AM UTC
The figure is beautifully painted and the phots are top notch. They add so much realism.
That must be the most used Hornet head ever? Have seen it so many times ... have usd it myself twice.
 _GOTOTOP