_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
After Market for AFV Club's Churchill III?
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm lining up stuff for a new project and am looking for suggestions and recommendations for AM accessories (PE, resin, barrels, etc) for the AFV Club, Churchill III.

I already have AFV Club's "workable tracks" (AF35156) and their turned brass hull rivets (AG35020), but I'd like to track down a good PE up-date set and also see what's available for gun barrels and resin.

Right now I'm looking at one of the Churchill's employed in Tunisia, so that's the general time frame concerned, but I'm not locked into that yet, so other options might be nice to consider.

TIA and happy modeling!
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hello Mike,

Orange Hobby makes an etched set for Churchills. The one for you should be

Churchill Mk.III Infantry Tank Update Set
Orange Hobby 1:35 Set # G35-011

There is a review available at Perth where you can also see the instructions. I have never used OH-products so far, but by fellow modelers the products of Orange Hobby have been praised and been well received so far. If I would build one I would give them a try.

Hope I could help.

Best regards

Dennis
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

Inside the Armour have many Churchill accessories and update sets.

http://www.insidethearmour.com/

Resicast also make accessory sets and tracks.

http://www.resicast.com/

If you like lots of PE Voyage Models also make several upgrade sets.

Cheers

Al
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
Interesting... I've been eyeing getting one of AFV's Churchills for awhile, and have at least thought about suggesting it for the next AMPS club project.

HobbyFan produced a resin set that included some bits for the desert Churchills.

Legends Production has a few sets, including a conversion for the NA75, where a 75mm M3 was mounted.

RB Model has barrels for 2 different versions of the 6 pounder. I've got one of them for my eventual Crusader III. Looks nice enough, but it's still in the package.

Besa MG's are available from Lionmarc as well as RB and probably others.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 03:49 AM UTC
Inside the Armour
35019R Churchill MkIII Kingforce Recommended....

and AFV Clubs' HobbyFan both produce the 'skirt' that hangs between the front horns to reduce dust.

Google Churchill Kingforce
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 11:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

I'll be definitely looking at both the Orange Hobbies and Voyager sets (the Voyager fender set looks great!).

@Dennis: I don't know why I didn't go straight to PMMS and look there first before I posted here! Thanks for reminding me.

@Alan: Thanks for the ResiCast suggestion, especially.

@Jon: I have my eyes on the Tunisian Churchills right now. I really was keen on the Kingforce tanks when I first got the kit, but it seems like everyone has done those already, so maybe the Battle of Longstop Hill (maybe?).

@Jesse: I actually forgot - I ordered the 6-pdr and Bessa barrels from RB Models the last time I put in a big order with them. Thanks, for reminding me!

Cheers...
Keef1648
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

I'll be definitely looking at both the Orange Hobbies and Voyager sets (the Voyager fender set looks great!).

@Dennis: I don't know why I didn't go straight to PMMS and look there first before I posted here! Thanks for reminding me.

@Alan: Thanks for the ResiCast suggestion, especially.

@Jon: I have my eyes on the Tunisian Churchills right now. I really was keen on the Kingforce tanks when I first got the kit, but it seems like everyone has done those already, so maybe the Battle of Longstop Hill (maybe?).

@Jesse: I actually forgot - I ordered the 6-pdr and Bessa barrels from RB Models the last time I put in a big order with them. Thanks, for reminding me!

Cheers...

Ah the memory is going eh Mike....

Perhaps you need to jot down what you have in yer stash under vehicle type.. or even on the lappytop puter of yourn

Another first class 'dusty' diorama in the wind (or Kamsin) eh.

See ya later today....

Keith.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 01:23 AM UTC
I also saw another resin part for the AFV Churchs in a magazine last night. Will have to look when I get home and update this for you, but it was a correction for the AFV turrets bottom where the armor does not cover the turret ring. It sits on top. Not a Church expert, but thought it was interesting when reading the review. Says it was a direct replacement part.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 02:49 AM UTC
Okay, just got home to look. It is from Inside the Armour. But, it is for the Churchill V/VI and it is called the corrected turret base. They also have another new set called NA75 Turret conversion for all the AFV Church kits that has a 2-part resin turret, and a Sherman 75mm turned barrel and a couple other parts. FYI, this was in the magazine Military Modelcraft International (april 13 issue).

I do not work or get any renumeration from either party.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
@Keith: Memory? Huh...? Wha... say, who are you and what's this talk about seeing me later?

Yea, another dusty little vignette in the planning stages. I'll show you a couple of pics of what I have in mind.

@John: Thanks for the tips about the NA75 conversion.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Keith: Memory? Huh...? Wha... say, who are you and what's this talk about seeing me later?

Yea, another dusty little vignette in the planning stages. I'll show you a couple of pics of what I have in mind.

@John: Thanks for the tips about the NA75 conversion.

Hey Mike no joke Sir, all I know is, my GPS knows where you live and that I have to turn left at the 'Donkey' in the field on the corner!

Sounds like a winning project though...

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP