_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Do I build kits?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hmm, I know that several Armorama members here have actually seen some of the models that I have built. I won't mention their names and drag them into this, but they are members of several different clubs as well as just visitors to various local model shows we have attended. One Armorama member and I have exchanged kit photos as far back as 16 years ago.

I don't normally take photos of kits I build, nor do I think they are exceptionally good myself. I could be wrong since I have won three awards this year, although none of my kits have placed first. I consider myself a pretty good modeler, but no where near the level of expertise of several of my fellow builders on this and any other site I frequent.

My digital camera takes fairly decent photos of vehicles in my motor pool. Not the best, but usable. Great for detail shots on 1:1 armor, but not so great for shots on 1:35 or 1:72 scale models. Those of you who remember my M1/M247 Sgt. Maj. York conversion can attest to the poor quality of the shots my digital camera on that kit (which BTW is still in progress). Because of this, I don't bother to take shots of models I build, unless I'm doing an article or build review.

As far as what I do to support the site and the hobby, I think I do my fair share of work here as well as pull my own weight in assisting other sites and companies that produce model related items.

Some of the individual nested albums in my motor pool are arguably the best source for detail photos on the web. I've had requests for specific shots from a person who does reviews for Perth's modeling site (Terry Ashley). Requests from someone who is doing the master for a resin M2A2 Bradley interior. You will notice some fuzzy photos of the Bradley interior with a tape measure, ruler and even a quarter (US 25¢ coin). These are so the man making the master has a reference to the actual size of the item being photographed.

I worked with Matthew Malogorski in producing the M1 Abrams tweaks list, assisted Woody Vondracek in producing the OIF Abrams decals for Archer Fine Transfers and helped Steve Zaloga with the Osprey New Vanguard M109 book. I've also written a few articles for this site as well.

What does the Armorama user who also posts as Uday do for the site and the hobby? I mean, if you think we don’t know who you are, you’re not very bright.

As far as if I do build kits, here are some of the club flyers from the Richmond (VA) Chapter of the IPMS that I attended while I was at Ft. Lee last year and the IPMS Patriot Chapter that is my regular club. I scanned some of the show and tell lists to prove that I actually do build kits and bring them into the clubs to share with other members. These are just a few of the flyers that I had handy since they were fairly recent. I tend to pitch the things unless there is some pertinent info on the flyer like show dates or an article I think I can use at a later date.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:33 AM UTC
Rob
You not only build your models you supply a huge knowledge base of first hand experience, 1:1 reference material, a solid background in building.
You don't get nearly 5,000 posts if you have no experience or anything to offer.
You see his work above outside of 9:00 - 5:00
Go take a look at this work and contribution-
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?set_albumName=albun63&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&PHPSESSID=6a8f7495473dffac995fb03527b3d04c

You help other here build thiers and build them better.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
"Ground control to Major Rob"

...sounds like someone got under your skin...and, i think i saw a finished kit or two in the gallery. Although your space is full of possibly the best reference images that are available on the WWW. By the way, thanks for the walk a rounds on the "trailer trash"

So, if someone is givin' you a hard time, they'll have to go through the rest of us first.

This ain't Aberdeen Sir ... you don't have to prove a thing to those of us that "know" you.

kglack

Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:47 AM UTC
Looking at the amount of data, feedback and help you provide to members of this site, and model builders in general (other sites and forums included) I personally would not care whether you have seen a model kit or not. Anyway building models is fun, getting info for us probably is not that much fun!

From me personally and probably most Armorama users Thank you very much Sabot for all your input and work in general

To the person who questioned your modelling ability……….(I cannot print my comments)
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:07 AM UTC
We all know your worth Rob,nuff said,any other comment would be a declaration of war.
Arthur
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Rob,

Thank you for everything you do on this site. Your contribution to Armorama is appreciated by anyone with half a brain...

I really don't know what's going on here at the moment!

I came to Armorama after feeling thoroughly disgusted by the backbiting cr*p that ruins some other modelling sites. Now a few sad individuals seem determined to wreck this place for everyone too.

I don't know what they hope to prove - except that they are ****holes... I just wish they'd grow up and let the rest of us get on with enjoying our hobby.

I don't judge anyone by whether I see their models or not - I'd be a hypocrite if I did (seeing as I've only built 2 since I joined!). For me, this place is about helping each other get the maximum from our hobby. Sharing information and tips is far more important than making sure our galleries are full.

Keep up the great work, and don't let the b******s get to you!

Rowan
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

except that they are ****holes...

sorry Merlin, but, there are only three stars in ***holes.

kglack
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
Rob,
I agree at 200% to what Merlin said!!!
Ciao and tahnks for all'youve done and you're doing for the site.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:37 AM UTC
Rob, Ive used your photo's time and again and im most grateful.If some ones rubbing your Rubarb the wrong way tell them to take a hike, plenty of sites around where p****ks like that can hide under their stones,Ive been on this site 2 years and only posted photo's once. :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Rob - I trust you know how I feel about this situation and what inspired this thread.

Suffice to say I find your Motor Pool and sharing of photos and time more valuable than any other resource out on the Internet. Period.

You don't need to post a bunch of photos to substantiate your opinion and commentary about scale items that you know so well in reality. What I really appreciate about you is that you refrain from coming off like a "know-it-all"; you don't whine, lady (heh heh - the edit system works!), and gripe about every inaccuracy you see (or think you see) in models of subjects you're familiar with to try and somehow weakly elevate your stature. You just endeavor to be a resource for those who are willing to ask for your experience(s) and offer help without asking for anything in return.

Damn the torpedoes from the jealous and spiteful - though it gets hard to endure sometimes. You have nothing to prove to those who contribute nothing but dissention...

Sincerely,
Gunnie
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sorry Merlin, but, there are only three stars in ***holes.

Hi kglack43

Not the way we spell it in England

But whichever spelling, 3 stars or 4, I hope my meaning was clear...

All the best

Rowan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well yippie-ki-yay

Didn't expect one so soon. Toss out the bait and the trolls start biting. Maybe, just maybe, with some more practice, you can be a Troll Third Class. I don't think this response even gets you to Cadet Troll Wannabe. Please, feel free to try again.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Howdy Rob,

I think I've said in the past (probably more than a couple of times) precisely how I feel about you and your contibutions...probably to point of possibly annoying 'some' (and that 'some' know who you are).
Simply put, do not feel like you have to substantiate anything to membership here my friend, and as to the 'some'.......they are probably only suffering from envy, and more than likely, pen*s envy as well! #:-)
Most 'lame-o's like that often do.

Tread.

I salute you my friend.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
Rob
Ive read your post, the comments brought up by this Uday is out of line.
Ive seen your work maybe not all of it, but everything ive is of the finest
quality Bar none. I can but mirrior the comments written here buy the
others I thank you for all of the hard work and time that you spend
here on this site making it better for all of us.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Rob,
Gunnie is right on. You don't have to prove anything. The time you take to make the motorpool the outstanding resource it is speaks volumes. Those of us who have had one-on-one help from you know that you are dedicated to this hobby of ours and always ready to help. Just keep gluing plastic and let the fools play thier silly game.
Chuck
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 11:49 AM UTC
Rob

We all know the modeler you are and you have nothing to prove. Your input here is so important. We wouldn't be as strong a community without guys like you.

HastyP
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 12:11 PM UTC
Rob:

Gotta join the chorus here and say I'm behind you and think your contributions to the site are priceless.

We've had a few minor disagreements over a few things, but I think that civil debate and discussion are what makes good model forums better. I try not to take things personal when someone disagrees with me or is critical of my work -- difficult sometimes, but I try.

I don't know what prompted your post, but for all our sake on Armorama (and the other forums), don't let the trolls get you down. Your contributions are too valuable.
TUNA
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 449 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hmmm since I'm in a 'model club' with Rob, and I actually watch him 'build' at meetings (awsome detail work in braille scale a lot - too small for my ole eyes!)... I would say Yes Rob does build models!!!

And he does a lot for the modelling world, with his Photos!! And just recently the field trip he hosted at Ft. Devens!!! I don't know that many modellers who have done anything near that level for fellow modellers!!

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:00 PM UTC
Having met Rob a few times, and having seen his work, I too can attest to the fact that he indeed builds models. I can also say that Rob goes above and beyond the call of duty to help other modellers out, be it with questions about kits or tweaks, or offering a field trip to Ft. Devens, or even giving my father and I a tour on an awfully cold day in March.

Needless to say, I echo the statements above when I say Rob is one of the most important posters on this site, and I wish to thank him greatly for his contributions.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:37 PM UTC
who cares if Sabot builds kits! he takes his time to help us all on this site and is a great reference for all modern US vehicles if people have nothing better to do but snipe at him about building kits or going out to prove him wrong on some advice he has posted the must have a sad life at the end of the day what business is it of anyones what Rob does
in his spare time
Sabot, keep your head up high mate and may thanks for the posts you've helped me out with in the past!
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
Sorry, but I don't understand any of this. Because 'Uday' posts something on another site, who cares? Why get upset and bait the guy? I think that is exactly what he (they) wants. I thought it was all just a joke.

Maybe if you told us who the real Uday is, we could ask to see some of his work.

Seriously, why let some people get the best of you? As has been said countless times, you are a wealth of knowlege of U.S. armor and post many photos. What's to prove? Even if you had never built a model, who gives a crap?

With all the troubles in the world today, I don't think grown-ups need to be worried about silly things. Like the guy at a recent IPMS contest who was pissed because my model beat his. Pretty sad to see some 50 year old man upset about a small piece of plastic. And, with an attitude like his, he'll never improve.

It's a hobby for fun. Why waste time on this...?

Steve

PS - I could care less about the 'experts' at any other sites. Big deal. They spend valuable time in their lives worrying about how many bolts are on a Panther D's wheel and laugh at the people who don't? Wow, that really does the world lots of good. And, I'm sure it's a great way to pick up girls too!

Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi Steve

I'd normally agree with you; ignore them long enough and troublemakers usually get bored and go and play elsewhere.

But when idiots start making personal attacks on fellow members and doing their best to give Armorama a bad name via other sites, I think we have to do something.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP