_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
The Unloaders
Vonflak
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 11:25 AM UTC
Wanted to share my newest: It's AFV's LVT-4 with MB's U.S. Artillery crew disquised as Marines. To alter them I added untucked blouses and helmet covers. I wish I had picked different helmets though, these were a bit small.

The 40mm cans, the .30 cal boxes (bandolier), the .30 cal boxes (4 can case), and the 60mm boxes I made masters of and cast myself.

The giant sake bottles I cast myself too.

This was my first time using static grass. I didn't want to shell out the coin for an applicator so I made one out of a electric fly swatter. I ended up shocking the bejeepers out of myself. Bad enough that I screamed, not quite like a school girl but close. So, if you make one, let go of the power button before you grab the alligator clip.

This pic came out greener than the acual model i dunno why.

Thanks for looking, comments/critiques are welcome.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 11:38 AM UTC
Bryan the dio is fantastic and very inspiring. Is there an actual gun in the damaged pillbox or is it just tubing made to look like remains of a gun? The helmets do look a bit small and riding just on top of their heads instead of sitting lower.
Vonflak
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 01:11 PM UTC
Thanks Krupp. The "barrel" is just a wood paintbrush handle that was tapered just right.
Danimal
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 01:56 PM UTC
Looks great Bryan! This kit is in my "On deck circle". Have you found an online source for referance pics of USMC LVT-4's?

Dan
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 07:02 PM UTC

Like that dio a lot! Congratulations!!

Only weak point are indeed the helmets. They don't look right at all. Can you exchange them?? I would

Cheers

Romain
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2013 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't want to shell out the coin for an applicator so I made one out of a electric fly swatter. I ended up shocking the bejeepers out of myself. Bad enough that I screamed, not quite like a school girl but close. So, if you make one, let go of the power button before you grab the alligator clip.

That almost made me spray my morningcoffee all over the screen!

Good looking dio! I like the idea and execution. Love that destroyed bunker. Looks very realistic.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 09:21 AM UTC
Great job Bryan,

Yes the helmets look a little small.Where did you get the figures?Also what's your secret for the track marks in the sand?For the life of me I can never get them that good.

Tom
Vonflak
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 02:25 PM UTC
Thanks for the complements!

I didn't find too many online resources, my ideas came from a giant picture book called "islands of hell" by Eric Hammel. I found it at an Ollie's store for $15. It's a treasure trove.

The helmets bug me but not enough to fix now maybe later. I should have just left them off.

As far as the tracks in the sand go, the substrate is Das clay. Once is layed down flat I rolled various "spare tires" thru it to make tracks. Then I stippled the whole surface with a acid brush. Later when it's dry I glue up a few patches and sprinkle on some fine sand and debris.

Danimal
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 03:24 AM UTC
Bryan,thanks for the tip about the book "Islands of Hell". I ordered Amazon's last copy! $20.00

Thanks again,Dan
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 03:57 AM UTC
That is one fine-looking Dio, Bryan. Love the idea and execution, it's one that I find myself giving second, third, fourth looks and find something to admire each time. The helmet on the Sake guy looks about right to me, but the others look too small as has been noted. Maybe if you could source of bigger helmets, hollow them out with a Dremel and then treat the clown-hat helmets like helmet liners . . . just a thought . . .
 _GOTOTOP