_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
GAZ-66 Command Post - Eastern Express
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:55 AM UTC
Likely Jacques or GIB (Grizzly Bear) might know about this subject...

Guys, I got a hold of Eastern Express' GAZ-66 Command Post. There's virtually nothing about the truck in my Soviet references here at home - do you know how/what/why it was employed?

Real Fact? Speculation? Outrageous lying and supposition? T2K Campaign ideas? I'm quickly running out of categories of information here... #:-)

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:48 AM UTC
ask and you shall recieve...

http://misc.kitreview.com/armourreviews/gaz66reviewcs_1.htm

it is Cookie Sewell's review on the kit...can't say much more than that, as you said, references are hard to find.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:17 PM UTC

Ouch!.....that review hurt. Doesn't seem to care much for the M925 Italeri Shelter vehicle either!

Tread.

(Jim needs to add a smiley that has hunched shoulders and little stars circling around his head).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
Yeah - you can almost smell the disappointment, huh? I'm still gonna build it someday - just going to do my best with it. Truck models were meant to be built!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:25 PM UTC

...hey Gunnie, he does say that the base GAZ-66 is a dandy truck. His real dissappointment came with the 'Command Post' part of the kit. Heck, with your talents you could build a C&C version of the GAZ with a big screen TV, wet bar, jaqcuzzi, and hot and cold running comrades!

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...hey Gunnie, he does say that the base GAZ-66 is a dandy truck. His real dissappointment came with the 'Command Post' part of the kit. Heck, with your talents you could build a C&C version of the GAZ with a big screen TV, wet bar, jaqcuzzi, and hot and cold running comrades!

Tread.

Yes, I think the base GAZ-66 is quite nice too. Hmmm, you're describing a Soviet version of the old US "Clubmobile" on the GMC Truck... The mind is workin'...

Gunnie
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
I have the GAZ-66 kit and the GAZ-66 with the ZSU-23-2

The GAZ kit, especially with the Eduard PE, is a very nice kit. I am tempted to build one next!

I also had heard the command version was a stinker, EE is getting a rep for charging big $$$ for not so much inthe box...which is sad. I do know that if you go to, say Moscow, the EE BMD-2 kit is only $10...
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC

Speaking of Soviet trucks (were we?). I recently picked up an ICM kit of the URAL 4320 truck, the one that comes with the 100mm BS-3 artillery gun (taken from the naval application). And I must say that it is a superb example of a Soviet truck kit! The BS-3 is quite nice as well. But the URAL is a dandy kit. Maybe you should consider it instead? There are a few AM kits available out there, but probably nothing you couldn't scratch 80% of at your desk Gunnie.

Just thought I'd throw that in to the pot of Borsch!

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 09:03 AM UTC
Oh yes - I have three of the -4320 trucks. I like them...

Heh heh heh

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC

You have three of them?.....Good. So how about a Soviet URAL GunTruck? Huh?

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You have three of them?.....Good. So how about a Soviet URAL GunTruck? Huh?

Tread.

That was originally my plan - until the HEMTT's surfaced as "Battlewagons" - but I haven't dropped the idea altogether. Since seeing the MAZ-543 "Gun Trucks" pop up - there's yet hope for the -4320 Gun Truck to roll too!

Gunnie
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi Gunnie
If you are interested in a URAL-based russian guntruck, maybe you could have a look at this :
http://www.otvaga.narod.ru/Otvaga/wars0/wars_15.htm
http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/URAL_REFERENCE.asp

How do you say "Hard Ride" in Russian ?

HTH
Frenchy
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
Is the GAZ-66 the same kit that's inside the Revell of Germany box? I've seen the plain Jane cargo variant on the shelves and was wondering.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
Yes it's the same kit. The only difference is that the Revell kit is more expensive (at least here in France, like most of other Revell re-box kits )

Frenchy
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
Yep - thanks Frenchy!

The GAZ-66 basic cargo truck is a nice kit - in both boxes. I was just going to model one straight as a companion to an AFV Club Deuce. Nice truck models compliment each other. I think this one will build up nicely.

I have the US Army Soviet Abbreviations and Language TM at home - but I'm not sure how to say "Hard Ride" in Russian correctly...

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guntruck

How did you get so many posts, what are your most interest, is only military or is it everything about models. That many post I think I can never get. I have admired the soviet armour and trucks for years how much info do you have on it.

Any good web sites, on iraq usage

Does the Iraq army use them or was it only the eastern block states.

Well, I've been posting here since the early days of Armorama. I don't think I post often, but over time it does add up. I try to give helpful responses and advice when asked.

I am most interested in US armored vehicles - primarily US Army. I research 1950's-1960's US Army atomic battlefield ordnance and Vietnam-era gun trucks mostly. I also am into Science Fiction and Real Space modeling as well. Occassionally, I model aircraft and helicopters. I'm relatively new to modeling Soviet and Russian armored vehicles. I prefer modern-era subjects. Websites are few and far between, but I have chance to meet and speak with former East German and Soviet personnel when they pass through my area, or when I participate in tours at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation out here in Portola Valley. Firsthand knowledge always speaks louder than the pics.

I'll have to do some looking to see if I can find you a good reference site for Soviet vehicles used by Iraq - in the recent past and presently.

Welcome to Armorama!

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP