_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
FN SLR 7.62mm question.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm not sure if I've come to the right forum but I need a little question cleared up, please.
I'm modelling the British SAS Land Rover Pink Panther (Tamiya 1/35th) & have some resin SLR's to add to it.
I am modelling my Land Rover during the secret war in Dhofar circa 1974.
Would the FN SLR which was issued to the British Army at the time have wood furniture (butt, grip, fore grip, etc) or had they changed over to black plastic by this time?
Thanks for your help.

Joe.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC
I was in the mob in 1974. All the SLRs I saw had plastic furniture.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
The only SLR with wood furnature i saw in my time in the Army 1989-2001 was my troop Sgt in basic training, he had wood furnature on his personal weapon, apart from that I saw some RAF Regt guys with some, not all of them on Catterick training area with a few.

Regards

Dan
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only SLR with wood furnature i saw in my time in the Army 1989-2001 was my troop Sgt in basic training, he had wood furnature on his personal weapon, apart from that I saw some RAF Regt guys with some, not all of them on Catterick training area with a few.

Regards

Dan

I think we gained a few wood-equipped pieces in 1982.........most of the Argentine weapons were of that type.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC
Okay, well thanks for that fellas. You've been a great help!
While you're here, what about the GPMG?

Joe.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, well thanks for that fellas. You've been a great help!
While you're here, what about the GPMG?

Joe.

Being a gunner I didn't see too much of the Gimpie. I think they were wooden butts. We were mostly issued with either the SLR or the bloody-awful Sterling SMG.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Regards

Dan

I think we gained a few wood-equipped pieces in 1982.........most of the Argentine weapons were of that type.

For whatever little it may be worth: My Argentine specimen has a phenolic (plastic) butt which is actually a dark green-black , and black phenolic fore-grips. All of your mates from the BAOR I worked with in the FRG back in the later 70's had SLR with blackish plastic furniture. Only SLR I ever met with real wood were older Canadian (C1) and (A1) Australian versions and early 60's FN FAL originals. Oh, and many of the older Israeli pieces had varnished wood furniture - on both standard and HB versions.

Bob
10digitdeeo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 02:06 AM UTC
I've seen C1s with wood furniture around still, in the backs of arsenals, growing mold.

Our GPMGs still have the wood butt, though I'm not sure about the British ones - but my guess is in the '70s, they probably still did.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

There were still SLRs with wooden butts and grips in 1972, I think around late 71 early 72 they started to replace them with plastic grips, I remember this change over happening, just not 100% sure of the date.

GPMGs had wooded butts too.

Al
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 04:09 AM UTC
From 1972 and London:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/are_me/6347175219/in/faves-k_garrett/

Cheers,
/E
Jonmarin
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:51 AM UTC
Odd that the vehicle on the right has the silver galvanised bumperettes & bodywork trim, usually this would be painted over on an army vehicle, even though the galvanised finish often didn't take the paint very well, presumably due to a lack of surface preparation?
I think Guards regiments held onto FN SLR's with wooden furniture longer than most as it looked "posher" for ceremonial duties.
For 60's & 70's info I'd suggest searching for images of British Army troops in northern Ireland for that period to see what weapons were in common use at that time period.
 _GOTOTOP